What's new

Video Games losing the Element of Surprise

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
I was younger than that when MK1 came out and I played it and the rest of the series since then, back when it was not commonplace to see that much violence in a game and when my parents were essentially skeptical of letting me play it due to that fact and the huge controversy/uproar surrounding the series back then. COD and 12 year olds playing it I'm completely desensitized to.
I was about 10 or 11 years old when MK1 arcade hit UK back in 1993 and have been playing MK ever since. What's your point?

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
lmao i agree 100%, im just saying the main story isnt as long as id like it to be, i beat the main quest line in less than a week :/
And I bet the thieves guild took you twice as long. With Elderscrolls games, the main quest line is not the full game. It's what introduces you to the game world. How many people will spend 200+ hours fishing in ESO?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
And I bet the thieves guild took you twice as long. With Elderscrolls games, the main quest line is not the full game. It's what introduces you to the game world. How many people will spend 200+ hours fishing in ESO?
Beating the thieves guild completely isn't too long. Some people do unnecessary missions though. For Vex and Delvin Quests, you only need 5 jobs in the 4 holds that aren't riften, so 20 missions plus the main mission. This is the best part of the game aside from The Dark Brotherhood, imo.

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
I was younger than that when MK1 came out and I played it and the rest of the series since then, back when it was not commonplace to see that much violence in a game and when my parents were essentially skeptical of letting me play it due to that fact and the huge controversy/uproar surrounding the series back then. COD and 12 year olds playing it I'm completely desensitized to.
i remember i got mk4 for my 12th birthday it had a big 18 and over sticker on it , cool parents are the best !
lmao i agree 100%, im just saying the main story isnt as long as id like it to be, i beat the main quest line in less than a week :/
yeah i did the same i spent about 2 months just finding locations so by the time i did the main questline everywhere was basically done , now i just go from city to city getting locations through side quests an stuff , its much better this way

For all the MK players in their 30s that had a SNES.

Do you guys remember accidentally doing Sub-Zero's Fatality Glitch? Anyone that put in hours and hours of this game would have stumbled upon this.

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
Beating the thieves guild completely isn't too long. Some people do unnecessary missions though. For Vex and Delvin Quests, you only need 5 jobs in the 4 holds that aren't riften, so 20 missions plus the main mission. This is the best part of the game aside from The Dark Brotherhood, imo.
And because the thieves guild gives you a ton of money. So that you don't have to sell stuff to buy a house. Not everyone likes to be thane. It's good that Skyrim made Elderscrolls games mainstream as like MK, it's also a 20 year franchise. I agree that the main quest should have been longer.

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
I was about 10 or 11 years old when MK1 arcade hit UK back in 1993 and have been playing MK ever since. What's your point?
My point was just what I said. Being that I played something uber violent at that age it's not surprising to see a kid that age do it these days where that subject is more common.

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
My science teacher told us that generation x(my generation) would be the most "old fashioned" generation ever. We all laughedbut he was right...it didnt even take 15 years.(i graduated in 1999)

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
My point was just what I said. Being that I played something uber violent at that age it's not surprising to see a kid that age do it these days where that subject is more common.
That's cool. I think that as the games industry changed and became more hyperrealitic, social attitudes changed in regard to graphic interpretations of violence. Super Mario squashed his enemies heads to smithereens, and the rating system didn't exist. We have MK to thank for that.

LEGEND

YES!
Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind is one of the best immersive, non hand-holding, Single player experiences you can ask for

I can't imagine how badly my experience of playing through that game would have been ruined if i had easy access to the internet back then
-
I wish more games would just drop you in the middle of a huge world and let you figure things out for yourself. After all the internet IS there for anyone who needs their hand held, no need to dumb things down for the rest of us

EDIT: /Talking to myself

NickDaGreek1983

Oh, my days !
I agree with this. Part of me writing this is because I'm bored at work. Another part is I feel like I'm getting tired of video games. Is this what it's like to get old? Lol.
For me (31.5 yrs old) getting older for video games means I just miss a certain amount of video games' stories to follow. Playing sports games for example (PES or NBA2K) with so little differences year by year isn't working for me. Watching a franchise like Need For Speed going from story telling videos to JUST online racing also didn't do the trick with me.
But making a new Resident Evil or Silent Hill game makes me feel a teenager again in the sense that I want to see what's happening with the story. Same goes with COD.
And MK?
MK is its own thing. Ever since 1992 it's been the "happy other than everyday life dimension" for me. Especially now that I'm getting older and actually having stuff to worry about other than grades and how did my favorite team do last weekend etc...

BUT...
The internet makes for a BAAAAAD spoiler source. As well as it feeds my curiosity and actually hypes me for sth by watching a leaked video or a trailer for the upcoming -let's say- MK10, it certainly falls short to the 90's sudden announcement of a new game/movie. I can still remember the impact that one photo of Cage shadow kicking Scorpion in the deadpool did back in 1993.

Last edited:

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind is one of the best immersive, non hand-holding, Single player experiences you can ask for

I can't imagine how badly my experience of playing through that game would have been ruined if i had easy access to the internet back then
-
I wish more games would just drop you in the middle of a huge world and let you figure things out for yourself. After all the internet IS there for anyone who needs their hand held, no need to dumb things down for the rest of us

EDIT: /Talking to myself
I feel ya there thats why I enjoyed the Souls game much more. All you got in that game was a few messages on "here's what the buttons do, now here is how ya do these two things, good luck MUHAHAHAHAHAH"

Don't get me wrong an in game tutorial is ok, stop freaking telling me oh is this too hard now wanna change the difficulty. I was appalled when I played through Mario on the Wii and was prompted with a message after losing too many times and the game played the stage for me with Luigi, all I could think was WTF!!!

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
That's cool. I think that as the games industry changed and became more hyperrealitic, social attitudes changed in regard to graphic interpretations of violence. Super Mario squashed his enemies heads to smithereens, and the rating system didn't exist. We have MK to thank for that.
True. I didn't officially own an MK game until UMK3 was out on genesis. Though I played them a lot in arcades, friends houses, rented them etc. I think my mother was mostly the one who frowned on it and had to be places to rent it for me cuz of the ESRB. Eventually though she Relented because my brother and I were raised well enough to know the difference between games/movies and real life. Lol memories man.

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
Some people here make mk/igua podcasts. If people are interested in podcasts, there's an Elderscrolls podcast called ElderScrollsOffTheRecord. I don't make it, I listen to it.