What's new

Various fighting styles / weapons returning?

OZombiePenguinO

Garbage, bro
In DA, Deception, and Armaggeddon, you could toggle between two different fighting styles, or toggle between hand-to-hand and your character's weapon. Would you like a take on this to return, if done well? I sure would.

I posted this in another thread, but I figured it's worthy of its own topic.

"I would certainly welcome two different fighting styles that you can toggle between again if done right. Not everyone has to have a weapon, perhaps just different move sets. Imagine being able to cancel into the style toggle as well, that'd make for really cool combos / set ups

For instance, let's say Kenshi's in the game. His hand-to-hand fighting style is his default one, not much else to say. He plays how he plays. But his alternate style is with his sword. He now has different / better normals, but at the price of something like special moves / meter use.

Let's say Johnny Cage is in. His alternate fighting style includes grapples and parries that his default one doesn't have. After finishing a combo, he cancels into his alternate style, the foe does a wake up attack, and gets parried."

I can also imagine certain moves that automatically toggle between styles. Let's say Baraka is in the next game. He has a style with his bare hands, and a style with his blades. One of his special moves is his blade rush. Once that is used, he is automatially forced into the blade fighting style.

Discuss!

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
IMO, it has to be done really well to work right. If that were to happen, I would welcome it.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
I'd prefer for there to just be the option of two different x-rays, NRS can hardly keep up with one set of normals. Kabal still has a block infinite. I personally was not a fan of the weapon system, or any of the 3D games, they all blew fat loads of ass.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Raiden + Hammer = <3

I don't think it'll ever happen, but I'd love it if it did. Stance Change currently is so pointless, replacing it sounds more productive than removing it. But I don't really trust NRS to implement it correctly.

God no. I'm not dissing your idea, but i was really hoping NRS would try to revert mk to its roots, not repeat the same mistakes that have been made in the past

OZombiePenguinO

Garbage, bro
Raiden + Hammer = <3

I don't think it'll ever happen, but I'd love it if it did. Stance Change currently is so pointless, replacing it sounds more productive than removing it. But I don't really trust NRS to implement it correctly.
Well when you think about it, stance toggle opens up a lot of options for the game. See, if it weren't for two seperate stances (front facing screen, and back facing screen), a lot of the game's moves wouldn't be possible, because they transition from one stance to the other. Kung Lao's F2, and Sheeva's B2, for examples.

So since they HAVE these stances, you might as well have a toggle for them, right? Wouldn't hurt lol

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
No thank you.

Unless they cull the number of characters in the game, there would just be much to balance if everyone had multiple fighting styles.

I don't mind them putting styles back in, as long as it is a one character only gimmick.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
No thank you.

Unless they cull the number of characters in the game, there would just be much to balance if everyone had multiple fighting styles.

I don't mind them putting styles back in, as long as it is a one character only gimmick.
Honestly, all you would need for it to work is:

1) A hand at the ready to hotfix and/or patch out infinites/stance swap damage resets
2) Legitimate play testers
3) The ability to actually let your title develop a metagame so the chaos has a chance to work itself out

NRS only has #1 and they're bad at it.

Shogun

Noob
I personally do not like the idea of having different styles or weapons out....... but if there was, i sure wanted it to be only selectable before the match starts. E.G. - you choose shotokan - you play shotokan, you choose taekwondo - you play taekwando. [I assume this would be obvious but just to prevent majour upsets (E.G. Liu Kand should not be able to choose Boxing or Jiu jitsu and Jax choose taekwando)]

Buffalo

Bison of Beat Downs
No thank you. I didn't like it in the older games and I don't think it'd work to well in these newer ones.

Plus, as pickle keeper said before, NRS should try to revert mk to its roots, not repeat the same mistakes that have been made in the past.

Yeah same here....I'm not much of fan of the weapon system in the 3D games. I would like each characters to have more combos though, and 2 different selectable xrays.

That be cool if NeatherReal just wanted to make a cool game, but no. They are trying to make a solid competitive game. In MK9, there are already useless thing like stance change and things NeatherRealm can't ever seem to get right like Cyrax. Adding weapons will just blow their minds.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
No thanks, i actually didn't like any of the 3D stance swaps MK, that really suck, so i agreed with most of the no comments in this thread.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
i want 2 xrays(which are selected before the match) and no weapons please. :D
Yeah, this is what needs to be done. That alone would help a good deal of the 7/3 MUs. Never have I seen a game as MU heavy as this. I'd rather be able to swap my xray out for a bad MU than have to have pocket characters.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Yeah, this is what needs to be done. That alone would help a good deal of the 7/3 MUs. Never have I seen a game as MU heavy as this. I'd rather be able to swap my xray out for a bad MU than have to have pocket characters.
I can support this X-Ray thing. Just to make the mechanic a little more useful.

Jelan

Aquaman is dead lel
It's a pretty good idea imo, but NRS would screw it up so no. But more moves are always welcome. Like 25-30 dials/character.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I wouldn't mind it, but as said, it'd have to be done extremely well. It'd be really cool, though, to have it back, and have it work well.

Some of the things they did with the style system in the 3D MKs was that there were instances where the specific stances benefitted the characters in various situations. For example, in MKA, Bo Rai Cho's h2h stance had a REALLY fast forward dash to help him get in, while his weapon stance had the 50/50s once he got in.

VOR

Noob
i have an idea of a weapons system worked out in my head. the idea of this is to eleviate some of the horrible matchups, while not being too over the top,
but adding another level to the game. it's a 2 METER SYSTEM. one meter is the meter we have now. the other is the WEAPONS METER, which can be a small, 3
stage circular dial next to the bar we're used to. each character has two weapons, one primarily used for zoning, and one primarily used at close range. the zoning
weapon can be used for more powerful projectiles, different parries, and even launcher projectiles which can lead into half-combos(the idea of this is not to be too over the top). the melee weapon would have better, stronger normals and different combos etc. i think this could look awesome, add something to the game with the 2 meters, bring some balance to the unwinnable matchups, and give characters more options at different parts of the screen.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
one factor that work good on MK9 : simplicity

you have 4 basic buttons, each one for a function, and , you have sub-functions (a directional pad + some button), and this way, you can memorize easily :

- normal moves
- special moves
- combos

I think anything else than this can make a future game more complicated, so, I guess that MK10 should stick with the MK9 formula stuff that worked well .......

VOR

Noob
one factor that work good on MK9 : simplicity

you have 4 basic buttons, each one for a function, and , you have sub-functions (a directional pad + some button), and this way, you can memorize easily :

- normal moves
- special moves
- combos

I think anything else than this can make a future game more complicated, so, I guess that MK10 should stick with the MK9 formula stuff that worked well .......
a weapons system wouldn't need to change this. these are basic things that almost every fighting game, adavanced or basic, has. the idea of a weapons systems might sound complicated, but it really doesn't have to be.

Alice

Haaave you met Sektor?
This whole more movesets per character and weapon system could go very wrong or could go pretty good.
When I saw weapon in Mk4 first I was like "wtf is this shit", and it turned out that it was a comedy. And throwable objects, lol... for a minigame okay, but honestly guys...
The stance changes could be very good to eliminate those bad matchups make the game not to rely that heavily on them, but if it is not tested it could go so very wrong that the game won't worth a penny. If all the characters have all types of moves that would give so much depth to the game, even after years there would be new things to discover.
However I can go with one moveset if it is perfected so much that we don't need pocket characters, still that two stances thing can be good if NRS manages it right.

And the two X-rays would be cool, very cool. Not only becaue with time you get bored with one, but if you can chose for example between an attack type
X-ray wich gives you unbreakable damage and an X-Ray that changes your characters ability now that would be dope. For example Noob could call a shadow to fight alongside with him, opens a full new list of combos, however it would wear off with time. Or for some character it would make some moves connect wich normally won't (For example SSFIV Juri). And here we could implement the weapon system as well for some characters. Raiden Hammer Time, yes-yes. So you could use the X-ray as a panic button (like I do it right now) and as a combo tool, or you can have some advantage that will only work if you have the skill to use it, but if you can you could have a clear advantage.

yeah, lets take a game thats already still messed up, then take what ruined the series before to kill whats left of it. thats exactly what we need! next EVO will be 10 people lmao PLEASE NRS don't even consider ruining this game.
/endrant