What's new

Discussion Variation Tier List (Post Patch)

Rate The List

Votes: 2 4.0%

Votes: 1 2.0%

Votes: 12 24.0%

Votes: 6 12.0%

Votes: 7 14.0%

Votes: 6 12.0%

Votes: 3 6.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • 1 (You have to be trolling)

Votes: 11 22.0%

• Total voters

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
There has been a tier list already. I have not seen a variation list yet on here. Apologies if I missed it. I labbed a ton lately and came out with this. This can be argued that there should only be 3 spots, but with so many variations, it's hard to balance like that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KEY

S Tier: The best of the best. These are all the strongest characters with little to no losing MUs

A Tier: Not quite S, but definitely viable and very strong

B Tier: Mostly viable. They have their good share of losing MUs, but overall solid

C Tier: Now we get to the below average characters. They usually have many losing MUs, but they still have decent tools

D Tier: These are overall the worst few characters in the game. Their bad MUs noticeably out-weigh there winning or even MUs

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TIER TIME!

High S Tier: Ermac (Mystic), Jason (Relentless/Unstoppable), Triborg (Sektor), Raiden (Displacer), Mileena (All, As a Whole Character)

Low S Tier: Predator (Hish Qu Ten), Triborg (Smoke), Sub Zero (GM), Tremor (Crystalline), Shinnok (BS/Necromancer), Sonya Blade (Demolition)

High A Tier: Jacqui Briggs (Shotgun/Full Auto), Kitana (Royal Storm/Assassin), Liu Kang (Dragon's Fire/Flame Fist), Sub Zero (Cryomancer), Kung Lao (Buzz Saw), Tremor (AfterShock), Reptile (Nimble), Goro (Dragon Fangs/Tigrar Fury), Kano (Cybernetic)

Low A Tier: Reptile (Noxious/Deceptive), Shinnok (Impostor), Sub Zero (Unbreakable), Sonya Blade (Covert Ops/Special Forces), Alien (Acidic), Cassie (All), Ferra/Torr (Ruthless), Goro (Kuatan Warrior), Kenshi (Possessed), Kano (Cutthroat),

High B Tier: Scorpion (Hellfire/Ninjutsu), Kung Lao (Hat Trick), Jason (Slasher), Alien (Tarkatan/Konjurer), Tanya (All), Bo Rai Cho (Dragon Breath/Bartitsu), Kotal Kahn (Sun God), Leatherface (Killer/Butcher), Takeda (Shirai Ryu/Lasher), Kitana (Mournful), Raiden (Master of Storms), Quan Chi (Summoner/Sorcerer - Potential Low A+), Liu Kang (Dualist), Ermac (Spectral)

Low B Tier: Kotal Kahn (War God/Blood God), Johnny Cage (All), Ermac (Master of Souls), Erron Black (Gunslinger), D'Vorah (All), Jacqui (High Tech), Kung Jin (Shaolin), Predator (Hunter), Kano (Commando), Raiden (Thunder God), Quan Chi (Warlock)

High C Tier: Kung Jin (Bojutsu/Ancestral), Takeda (Ronin), Kenshi (Kenjutsu), Jax (Wrestler), Triborg (Cyber Sub Zero), Predator (Warrior)

Low C Tier: Leatherface (Pretty Lady), Erron Black (Marksman), Ferra/Torr (Vicious), Tremor (Metallic), Triborg (Cyrax), Jax (Pumped Up)

D Tier: Ferra/Torr (Lackey), Scorpion (Inferno), Bo Rai Cho (Drunken Master), Jax (Heavy Weapons), Erron Black (Outlaw), Kenshi (Balanced)

Let me know if I missed anyone! Now, discuss...

@PND_Ketchup @PND OmegaK @PND_Mustard
@STB Shujinkydink @scarsunseen @RM Cossner
@Destroy_Scvm @HappyPow
@HoneyBee @KHAOTIC BEST MK RAIDEN @Kinetic Semiij @A F0xy Grampa @RevetLeafing
@OTHER PEOPLE WHO MAIN THE REST OF THE OTHER CHARACTERS

Last edited:
Outlaw is so bad it does not deserve a place in your list. :D

Cutthroat is still the best Kano variation, so you should probaby swap Cyber and Cutt.

And I do not know it Marksman is better than Heavy Weapons Jax, he is worse.

Quan Summ/Sorcer is better that A.

You need to work some more on this list. :)

Last edited:

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
spectral below smoke, shinnok and raiden? spectral in the same tier as nimble, buzz saw, 2 goro variations and full auto?

i just dont see it man. that's as far as i got. Good on you for putting in the time tho

Last edited:

Lokheit

Noob
Cryomancer has too many losing match ups (ie: anyone with good neutral can dominate him) to be considered high A+ in my opinion (currently I think he's not even SZ 2nd best variation based on match up charts, UB can cover most of GM losing MUs and you want to use Cryo for very few of them).

Also it has been proven multiple times by now that the dust is settled that the tick throws weren't as big of an issue as everyone claimed, specially if you learn to fuzzy duck them (and I've experienced how easy it's to OS the duck/block againt players that didn't have experience against the new Cryo before trying).

Even Sonic seems to have desisted on him in favor of Jason so far (now that's a true command grab character with excellent neutral).

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
spectral below smoke, shinnok and raiden? spectral in the same tier as nimble, buzz saw, 2 goro variations and full auto?

i just dont see it man. Props for putting in the time tho
Yo man, lol. This ain't gonna be perfect. I can't see spectral being any higher or lower than high A+

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
Cryomancer has too many losing match ups (ie: anyone with good neutral can dominate him) to be considered high A+ in my opinion (currently I think he's not even SZ 2nd best variation based on match up charts, UB can cover most of GM losing MUs and you want to use Cryo for very few of them).

Also it has been proven multiple times by now that the dust is settled that the tick throws weren't as big of an issue as everyone claimed, specially if you learn to fuzzy duck them (and I've experienced how easy it's to OS the duck/block againt players that didn't have experience against the new Cryo before trying).

Even Sonic seems to have desisted on him in favor of Jason so far (now that's a true command grab character with excellent neutral).
I haven't labbed him. Where would you put him?

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
Outlaw is so bad it does not deserve a place in your list. :D

Cutthroat is still the best Kano variation, so you should probaby swap Cyber and Cutt.

And I do not know it Marksman is better than Heavy Weapons Jax, he is worse.

Quan Summ/Sorcer is better that A.

You need to work some more on this list. :)
I think Cybernetic is better than Cutthroat this patch for sure. As for Jax v Erron, that's debatable

Lokheit

Noob
I haven't labbed him. Where would you put him?
I'm still not sure of his real position, specially since I still don't have the whole picture of every variation in my head, but not so high for sure. His neutral game downright sucks and it can be abused by many characters (see Wound and Scar with Boneshaper and Smoke against Sonic), his only tool is checking with D4 (if you use slide as your go to tool you're in for full combo punish salads, slide is for mobility and avoiding projectiles). GM can offset this with the klone and UB with the new parry recovery and aura can be patient and bait without risking as much as before the patch (plus having an armor launcher inspires respect when pressing buttons).

Cryomancer can do a good job against some zoners without good footsies or pressure because the slide makes him ignore a lot of projectiles, but he loses the footsies battle bad against many characters. He can get momentum if he opens the opponent once, but he could before and still was mediocre. The buff only increased the amount of ways to keep that momentum (and he was more or less fine in that department... throw already did more or less the same damage than PPxxHammer and duckable tick throws aren't as big as everyone claims) while nerfing even more the parts where he was bad (F42 cancel advantage has been butchered and now can't even cancel into Ex Hammer, F12 is no longer 0 on block).

I'm not sure where to place him, and with all the hysteria after the patch many will still think he's awesome, but his fellow command grab characters have much better neutral and many of them get similar damage from their EX grabs, some even more with the right setups. I don't think he scaped the "middle of the class" section to be honest but I still need to check many characters.

I would GLADLY trade the duckable command throw for either F122 not having its first hit (so the string starts with the sword) or Air Hammer (one of the most useless moves in the game) becoming a ground pound so he can have something to respect.

Reactions: D7X

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
Buzzsaw is too high. He's A tier, not A+. Tempest is there with him. Hat Trick should probably be B+.

I don't like the high/low format when there is a A/A+ and a B/B+.

dwz_mk9

I could do this all day...
I didn't see Outlaw Erron Black anywhere, but that variation is nonexistent in this meta so I'm not surprised, lol. Other than that, this list is pretty good.

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
Buzzsaw is too high. He's A tier, not A+. Tempest is there with him. Hat Trick should probably be B+.

I don't like the high/low format when there is a A/A+ and a B/B+.
Oh true. I've never thought about it that way, other than them being different tiers

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
Some formatting tips:

• The different colors hurt the overall readability of the list. The tiers are already separated with their respective letters so the colors aren't necessary to have. You could try putting the name of the tier in bold text, followed by the characters.
  • Putting the variations under one another as rows is much nicer to read than separating them with commas so basically do:
- Ermac (Mystic)
- Jason (Relentless/Unstoppable)
- Triborg (Sektor)

instead of:​

Ermac (Mystic), Jason (Relentless/Unstoppable), Triborg (Sektor), ...​

Not trying to be a dick, but things like these make this list far more pleasant to read, which in turn makes more people actually read the full list.

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
Some formatting tips:

• The different colors hurt the overall readability of the list. The tiers are already separated with their respective letters so the colors aren't necessary to have. You could try putting the name of the tier in bold text, followed by the characters.
  • Putting the variations under one another as rows is much nicer to read than separating them with commas so basically do:
- Ermac (Mystic)
- Jason (Relentless/Unstoppable)
- Triborg (Sektor)

instead of:​

Ermac (Mystic), Jason (Relentless/Unstoppable), Triborg (Sektor), ...​

Not trying to be a dick, but things like these make this list far more pleasant to read, which in turn makes more people actually read the full list.
Good tips. My goal with the colors is if you notice the best turn green (positivity) and red (negativity)

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
Scorpion HF and Ninjutsu being A is a little low imo. They should be in the A+ category. the new meta benefits them heavily with more neutral based play and they have good normals. Ninjutsu and HF to an extent has a very strong neutral where he can benefit heavily. His vortex and meterless dmg are very strong and he doesn't need to really need to rely on his unsafe specials to do work besides. The fact that he may be poor on defense is really player dependent and isn't meter hungry which helps him a lot. HF on the other hand has very strong pressure tools and isn't too dependent on fbrc pressure makes the fbrc nerf not hurt him much. I do feel like Ninjutsu and Hellfire are far too under the radar. Scorpion Ninjutsu and HF don't really struggle against anyone imo and probably hv a few more winning MU
Otherwise I think the tier list is agreeable

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
Scorpion HF and Ninjutsu being A is a little low imo. They should be in the A+ category. the new meta benefits them heavily with more neutral based play and they have good normals. Ninjutsu and HF to an extent has a very strong neutral where he can benefit heavily. His vortex and meterless dmg are very strong and he doesn't need to really need to rely on his unsafe specials to do work besides. The fact that he may be poor on defense is really player dependent and isn't meter hungry which helps him a lot. HF on the other hand has very strong pressure tools and isn't too dependent on fbrc pressure makes the fbrc nerf not hurt him much. I do feel like Ninjutsu and Hellfire are far too under the radar. Scorpion Ninjutsu and HF don't really struggle against anyone imo and probably hv a few more winning MU
Otherwise I think the tier list is agreeable
whats hellfire neutral outside of flame aura and jump kick lol