What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Sub-Zero Variation System Strategy

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Hey guys, recently two variations called Cryomancer and Unbreakable were added into MKXL!

Pre October 4th, Grandmaster was Sub-Zero's only variation worth using in any matchup in the game. It always had his best options.

Now that may not be the case, and where Grandmaster has faults, maybe Unbreakable with the high damage and threat of an armor launcher and parry, or Cryomancer with his devastating rushdown can compliment Grandmaster's dominance of the neutral and corner rape.

The game is still very new and so are the new variations, but who do you guys find yourself using each variation against?

@rubmytaco @Tom Brady @RM Ree @Madzin @xQUANTUMx @C88 Zombieekiler @STB BroZki @TwiztidOne @Ze Dingo @lookgirlitsteejay @Lokheit @flappysamyhamy @anylinkueimemberiforgot

@Tweedy if u still wanted to look into some Sub

Last edited:

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
IMO unbreakable can be very very good in problem matches like Dvorah, Shirai Ryu, maybe Lao, maybe Jin

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I think Unbreakable will be much better vs D'Vorah, Takeda, and Jin.

Which Lao? I'm assuming Buzzsaw, I think Grandmaster does well vs Tempest

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
You guys think Buzzsaw is still a problem for GM? Lmao. No armor on EX Spin boyssss

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Cryo is a very offensive character, and this is why he doesn't have UB's Aura and GM's IK. I like to think GM as the balanced one, UB as the defensive one and Cryo as the offensive one.

Been playing GM since January (2 months before the MKXL patch). Now it's time to use UB for very aggressive opponents like D'Vorah, Predator, etc. I'd love to try using him against Tremor to check his MUs.

Now with the meta game, I think that UB might have the potential to be Top tier, if gets played with the right hands.

Lokheit

Noob
How do you think unbreakable would do vs.....cryo? :eek:
Ticks need gaps and gaps are parryable.

The hammer ignores the parry and I guess there could be some mind games there, but it's really slow and Cryo right now needs to be agressive which benefits UB. I agree with @Braindead UB might win the MU against the other versions of SZ.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I think Unbreakable might be best vs Takeda SR. Kunai doesn't jail anymore, aura ex slide will let you blow him up for a combo, don't take chip from his pressure, parry will be good vs Takeda's long range normals because they aren't very fast.

zabugi

The only Real Master
I think in general the patch has made the variation system more dynamic. Which is a good thing considering the game is now honest.

How come I don't see that many scrubs asking for his armored launcher nerfed?
It's literally been a week since the patch dropped so give it some more time.

Once more people start using UB and start blowing up gaps an shit you'll get the scrubs complaining and crying for nerfs. I personally can't wait to drink their tears.

Jeffrey Wolf

YouTube: Jeffrey B Wolf
How come I don't see that many scrubs asking for his armored launcher nerfed?
Probably because it requires Aura to work, only does 23-24% midscreen, and is easily punishable on block.

As for the OP, how does GM fair against airborne characters like Tanya or Ermac? I've always assumed not well, and so have pocket characters for those matches, but hey, since the thread is here, might as well ask.

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
Probably because it requires Aura to work, only does 23-24% midscreen, and is easily punishable on block.

As for the OP, how does GM fair against airborne characters like Tanya or Ermac? I've always assumed not well, and so have pocket characters for those matches, but hey, since the thread is here, might as well ask.
I play Zaf and the neutral sucks vs Ermac. Only chance we have is in the corner. You have to hold the hover shenanigans unless you properly time a slide for the way down or ex freeze. You are still at a disadvantage for that. The good thing about unbreakable is that with aura on, his hover into ground pound only builds him meter and doesn't chip you.