What's new

Question Vanilla MK9 Tier List?

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
There was nothing entirely broken about 2 4 low hat pre patch, it just annoyed ADHD players who couldn't wait for frame data to come to fruition and refused to accept any remote possibility that Lao had bad matchups until low hat got nerfed. Same reason Kano was nerfed into the ground.

Anyway, has everyone forgotten about vanilla Sonya?! Unbreakable block infinites for days -_______-

There was nothing entirely broken about 2 4 low hat pre patch, it just annoyed ADHD players who couldn't wait for frame data to come to fruition and refused to accept any remote possibility that Lao had bad matchups until low hat got nerfed. Same reason Kano was nerfed into the ground.

Anyway, has everyone forgotten about vanilla Sonya?! Unbreakable block infinites for days -_______-
yeah lao didnt need that good of a low projectile though... it was WAY WAY TOO good for zoning for a character with crazy mobility and solid pressure... and his combos now a days would have like 19 dive kicks and teleports... and his spin was a pain in the dick to punish with that pushback... god i cant image playing lao with stryker back in the day... let alone now

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
yeah lao didnt need that good of a low projectile though... it was WAY WAY TOO good for zoning for a character with crazy mobility and solid pressure... and his combos now a days would have like 19 dive kicks and teleports... and his spin was a pain in the dick to punish with that pushback... god i cant image playing lao with stryker back in the day... let alone now
Well I understand that it was essentially nerfed upon the principal of everything else you had to respect, but then why wasn't the active frames on teleport/EX teleport stuff toned down too? It's like when Kabal's block infs were removed, it didn't magically make his space control any less brutal, same with Lao's mobility, still to this day far and beyond any other character, low hat or not.

Well I understand that it was essentially nerfed upon the principal of everything else you had to respect, but then why wasn't the active frames on teleport/EX teleport stuff toned down too? It's like when Kabal's block infs were removed, it didn't magically make his space control any less brutal, same with Lao's mobility, still to this day far and beyond any other character, low hat or not.
i dont think they foresaw kabal becoming this good...ex dash puts him over the top even more...

i think with lao the ex tele is no problem at and im not sure why they didnt nerf tele a tidbit... but despite that i dont think people really developed the usage of his teleport at a high level tell after the patches...

of all the chars they made (which i think they did a wonderful job with) lao irks me the most... i can totally understand whats happened with kabal and kenshi and freddy and sonya and cyrax... but lao is just from the get go they gave him every fucking thing... every toool...way too much...

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I feel bad taking the bait and posting but oh well.

Yes, kabal was one of the original characters who had armor in vanilla. He was definitely number 1 with block infinites, at the current level of play now. Low hat being -7 on block doesn't matter to kabal as he puts you in the block infinite anyways.

Cyrax had to be top for sure. Probably top 2/3. If you don't remember, he had a insanely easy meterless infinite. It was anything into net on grounded opponent, teleport jip 21 net forever. He also had the cmd grab bomb trap in case you blocked because, ya know, you didn't wanna get infinited. If his d4 hit a standing opponent he literally had a 50/50 between 100% and 60% both meterless.

Also jax prepatch had no usuable armor, GP couldn't be canceled and his projectile was ass. No way was he top.