What's new

Tech Using Movement to Negate the Ice Clone from Sub-Zero's 2 1 2

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
This bit of tech came to life after some PSN matches with RedRaptor10 this morning. If you absolutely hate the Ice Clone popping out after the conclusion of Sub-Zero's blockstrings, most notably 2 1 2 and 2 1 4...you will love what this topic's gonna cover, because it's a universal option for the entire roster.

Now, with this game having been out for almost three years now, I'm fairly certain this is known, but in my long memory of the matches I've watched between other players I have yet to see anyone do this. Regardless, I won't take any credit for finding this, I am just highlighting this revelation for some discussion.

As we should know, there's a fairly large gap in between the second and third hits of Sub-Zero's 2 1 2 block string. Characters with options that include godlike armor or six-frame pokes/specials can exploit this, while characters who lack those options aren't confident in their chances of interrupting the string.

But...

If Sub-Zero does 2 1 2, after you block the first two hits of the string, you can un-block, dash forward, and then cancel the dash by re-entering a blocking state quickly. This results in bringing your character closer to Sub-Zero right before he completes his string, so that when he tries to cancel into his clone, the clone won't come out because he's standing too close to you.

However, this will not work if Sub-Zero uses 2 1 4 instead, because there is no gap in that string to exploit. If you try, you'll get hit by a powerful roundhouse that takes 9% damage and sends you sailing to the other side of the screen while the Ice Clone materializes. This will not favor Sub-Zero in the least if he doesn't have the life lead, but if he does obtain the lead as a result of this scenario...well...shit. LOL.

You can do this with any character, regardless of their hitbox size. Although, again, if you have great armor options and are already consistent with interrupting 2 1 2, you may not find this necessary. To the ones who are less fortunate and are struggling against Sub-Zero, this may make all the difference.

VIDEO NOW UPLOADED!

Thanks to RedRaptor10 for helping me test this out when I figured out the tech in our matches.

EDIT: Going off my response to Shaolin 19, if you don't successfully block the third hit of 2 1 2, you'll get sent flying, but the clone will not materialize since your character's legs are occupying part of the area where the clone would appear. You'll also gain some space and some breathing room, so even if your defense is suffering, you'll come out ahead - provided Sub-Zero hasn't decided to go YOLO with an Ice Ball or Slide after you've blocked part of his string already, which shouldn't happen often because a good Sub-Zero will always hit-confirm between the clone or the Ice Ball depending on whether the opponent blocks 2 1 or gets hit by it.

And yes, to those who are curious, this option works if you should be on the wrong end of Sub-Zero's dreaded corner game.

Last edited:

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
Cuz Sub-Zero clearly isn't low enough on the tier list. We need more tech against him. :joker:
IKR?!?

So basically this would work if someone was doing 2 1 pause 2 1 2 Ice clone right? I can see this working in theory,but not in actual play.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
IKR?!?

So basically this would work if someone was doing 2 1 pause 2 1 2 Ice clone right? I can see this working in theory,but not in actual play.
Believe it or not, it's actually a consistent option. Just ask RedRaptor10.

If they choose to pause after 2 1 before restarting the string and you opt to move forward and block, you will be blocking again before the string starts. Alternatively, Sub-Zero can do d3 or d4 after pausing his pressure from 2 1, but even if the poke hits, he won't get anything aside from 1% off a d3 or 3% off a d4. You'll be able to block again when he goes back into 2 1 2 or 2 1 4.

Something I'm gonna add to the original post is that if you don't successfully block the third hit of 2 1 2, you'll get sent flying, but the clone will not materialize since your character's legs are occupying part of the area where the clone would appear. You'll also gain some space and some breathing room, so even if your defense is suffering, you'll come out ahead - provided Sub-Zero hasn't decided to go YOLO with an Ice Ball or Slide after you've blocked part of his string already, which shouldn't happen often because a good Sub-Zero will always hit-confirm between the clone or the Ice Ball depending on whether the opponent blocks 2 1 or gets hit by it.

And yes, to those who are curious, this option works if you should be on the wrong end of Sub-Zero's dreaded corner game. Again, RedRaptor10 can back me on this.

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
First I would like to say thank you NRS for the Ice Clone's Proxmity we wouldn't be here without you.

Ok so with that info,how quick do a player needs to be to be able for this to work.Also Sub-Zero can just delay his Ice Clone after the 2 1 2 string is over.....I'm just assuming btw

ryublaze

Noob
This isn't that hard to do either, a lot easier than just framing a 6 frame poke imo. Just to clarify, you dash in between then block (idk if walking forward works). Btw AK GamerBlake don't u think it's better to do this in the corner? When I'm midscreen with sub I tend to do 214 clone but in the corner I want to set up the 212 clone trap.

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
Dashing in sounds a WHOLE lot easier then just walking inbetween the blockstring.

Last edited:

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
This isn't that hard to do either, a lot easier than just framing a 6 frame poke imo. Just to clarify, you dash in between then block (idk if walking forward works). Btw AK GamerBlake don't u think it's better to do this in the corner? When I'm midscreen with sub I tend to do 214 clone but in the corner I want to set up the 212 clone trap.
Do I think it's better to try this in the corner?

Yes...and no.

Yes because, as you say, 2 1 2 Clone is what you want to go for in the corner.

No because, as you also say, at midscreen you want to go for 2 1 4, but if you get your corner trap countered by a forward-dash in the middle of the 2 1 2 string it will cause you to resort to 2 1 4, or to mix it up with d3 and d4 for very minimal damage. Now if the 4 hits, you WILL be able to combo if you cancel into Ice Ball or Slide rather than the clone, but you would be taking a risk by doing this if you clearly notice your opponent blocking the first two hits of 2 1 4. Should I be blocking successfully, you're dead.

Dashing in sounds a WHOLE easier then just walking inbetween the blockstring.
Yes, sorry. I've re-edited my post to clarify this.

Last edited:

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
The video is now up! You can watch in 720p HD or 1080p HD for a better viewing experience. :)

Thanks to RedRaptor10 again for helping me test this while I capped the tech. Annotations are included in the video and the full explanation is in the description tab.

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
Looks fairly easy to do.Quick question can Sub-Zero block after the fail Ice Clone. When Sub-Zero's Ice Clone fails he goes into this reeling animation for some amount of frames, (more of a "Popping out" animation) what I'm asking is, can the opponent punish Sub-Zero after blocking the 2 1 2 strings or are they unable to do so because of blockstun? (EX. Johnny Cage Dash-In F4)

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Looks fairly easy to do.Quick question can Sub-Zero block after the fail Ice Clone. When Sub-Zero's Ice Clone fails he goes into this reeling animation for some amount of frames, (more of a "Popping out" animation) what I'm asking is, can the opponent punish Sub-Zero after blocking the 2 1 2 strings or are they unable to do so because of blockstun? (EX. Johnny Cage Dash-In F4)
RedRaptor10

Do you feel up to conducting further testing with me at a later time so we can figure out punishment options?