What's new

[UPDATED]Mortal Kombat Reveal Poster Leaks before E3

@MylesWright_

I'll be back 3ing
The way people use the word 'Leak' before an event as if NRS themselves never took this picture and sold it to the press to build hype

E

Eldriken

The way people use the word 'Leak' before an event as if NRS themselves never took this picture and sold it to the press to build hype
Sure, this could be possible. But until someone from NRS flat-out says that's the case, we'll continue to consider them leaks. =)

trufenix

bye felicia
I don't think the Xbox One and PS4 userbase is big enough to merit it being next-gen only. Not everyone can or wants to move to the new consoles yet that would like to play the next MK game.
The bad news is WB announced Arkham Knight as next gen only which means MKX could follow suit. Rocksteady claims this is because its new engine simply could not run on 360/ps3, but if that's also what MKX runs on, we may be boned. KI already got away with platform exclusivity (and free 2 play) so you have to consider the possibility that publishers are going to start testing that revenue. Right now the only fighter to straddle the hardware barrier is GGXrd which is not exactly hardware intensive and certainly not anticipating the kind of next gen numbers a new MK (or Batman) would pull.

That said, I wouldn't worry too much. It is almost guaranteed that even if MKX is announced as next gen only, they will reveal pc / old gen releases after pre-orders die down. If not, put money on a "port" to old gen announced shortly before launch. Microsoft and Sony have already pledged that they intent to support old gen for another 2 years at least and as many have said, WB would be pretty foolish to follow up one of the biggest selling games of 2011 with a game only a fraction of the market can buy. They just won't admit it until after they've wrung the next gen bucket dry.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
If it is next gen only, I really really hope they have a PC release at the same time as the console release.

Please, NRS, let us all enjoy it at the same time.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
The bad news is WB announced Arkham Knight as next gen only which means MKX could follow suit. Rocksteady claims this is because its new engine simply could not run on 360/ps3, but if that's also what MKX runs on, we may be boned. KI already got away with platform exclusivity (and free 2 play) so you have to consider the possibility that publishers are going to start testing that revenue. Right now the only fighter to straddle the hardware barrier is GGXrd which is not exactly hardware intensive and certainly not anticipating the kind of next gen numbers a new MK (or Batman) would pull.

That said, I wouldn't worry too much. It is almost guaranteed that even if MKX is announced as next gen only, they will reveal pc / old gen releases after pre-orders die down. If not, put money on a "port" to old gen announced shortly before launch. Microsoft and Sony have already pledged that they intent to support old gen for another 2 years at least and as many have said, WB would be pretty foolish to follow up one of the biggest selling games of 2011 with a game only a fraction of the market can buy. They just won't admit it until after they've wrung the next gen bucket dry.
there is ZERO reason to reverse port these games

Time to move on.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
uh, there's lots of reasons at least a couple hundred thousand reasons domestic. If Microsoft and Sony have pledged support, publishers would be foolish not to take advantage.
there is no financial reason to do this

they have a new console to sell.

Why make games reverse portable?

not gonna happen.

trufenix

bye felicia
there is no financial reason to do this

they have a new console to sell.

Why make games reverse portable?

not gonna happen.
WB/NRS don't have a new console to sell. They have a game to sell. Games move hardware, not the other way around. This is why there are no wii games.

At BEST, xbone and ps4 will take over as dominant consoles this holiday season, but there will still be stragglers until the NEXT holiday season. So, if the tech works on both consoles, there is no reason not to port.

OG Mannimal

OG "OG Mannimal" Mannimal
I'd be surprised if MK10 was on Ps3/360. It should be current gen exclusive. By the time MK10 comes out, it will have been 1.5 years since the X1 and PS4 came out. If you can't save $460 by the time MK10 comes out, you probably shouldn't be buying the next MK anyways.

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
So, if the tech works on both consoles...
I would expect (and hope) that that may be the biggest reason to believe it won't be reverse ported. It'd be a bit of a letdown to release a new game from such a high-profile franchise that has technology that would work on last generation's hardware. I'm sure the game developers' interest in pushing people into the next generation of consoles is close to (if not the same as) the producers of the consoles themselves.

First thing I think of is that the guys creating the aesthetics of a video game are artists. They want to use the greater technology to produce greater art.