What's new

Unpopular Opinion : If they increase dash speed and other movement options, the entire game will break and become unplayable.

Kokoko

Somehow
I'm not talking about criticism. Criticism is great and people should talk about what they did and didn't like. When I say "complaints or requests," I'm mostly talking about the players saying certain moves/characters are busted or useless.
Sorry for misunderstanding. Yes, in this interpretation your comment makes perfect sense. The stress test build has almost nothing to do with the actual characters balance on release. And now it's pointless to ask to change characters or some specific moves.

I'm not talking about criticism. Criticism is great and people should talk about what they did and didn't like. When I say "complaints or requests," I'm mostly talking about the players saying certain moves/characters are busted or useless.

We got to play, for 3 days, a version of the game that is very limited and most likely not very recent. Very little of what we experienced during the stress test will remain as-is during release. We also had no practice mode, so it was borderline impossible to adaquately lab the game. Players are calling characters broken just based on how effective they were when no one had labbed against them.
Fair enough, although I'm kinda of two minds about that. IMO, it's useful to give feedback even in the context of a limited demo. You just never know what the dev teams will find useful. For example, on the Ketchup/Mustard stream, they both mentioned that Kano's eye laser is basically useless. Now, that statement may not hold up to what the most current version of the build looks like, but maybe the dev team hears that and says "huh, we thought its utility was obvious, but we haven't looked at that move in a long time and other stuff has changed. Let's go tweak it."

There's other types of griping that is basically somebody hearing Sonic say they feel like Kitana is weak as a first impression, and then decides to blow up the MK Twitter with "Kitana's a useless character, this game has horrible balance, the NRS team has no idea what they're doing, this game is a failure", which isn't useful, but I feel like it's best to let NRS make that distinction.

Either way, I feel like the degree to which the MK community negs its own games is a blessing and a curse. On one hand, it can be difficult to sort through the noise of people just being frustrated about random specific things that don't line up to their personal expectations. But at the same time you start to see trends of things that lots of players experience, like game speed in this case.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I thought MK11 movement speed was in a great spot but the game could have used more juice which MK1 seems to offer. I also don't want wave dashing or the like to be the meta.

But some here are clearly afraid of the Stryker zoning that is coming for them

haketh

Noob
I do not want them to add in Wavedash for reasons (I'm still salty Baraka had an amazing walk speed in MK11 but couldn't catch anyone because his wavedash was awful and backwards wave dashes were cracked) related to balance and how much you have to adjust around that, that they dind't do in MK11 when they made the change. But if it happens, it happens I'll still be there.

Have you seen people attempt to dash in MK1? I saw Sonicfox do it and they could certainly do it but It looks bad. Janky and bad.

I agree with everyone else, Make the dashes faster and easier to do. But I'm gonna stress that every character should have the same kind of wavedash because Fujin and Cetrion moving the way they could while Baraka or Noob Saibot were the slowest was brutal. When it comes to movement everyone should have the same tools.

"This will make the game broken" is such a boogeyman statement for NRS games.

MK9 Cyrax+Kabal were broke
MKX had a bunch of broke characters during its life but I believe Tremor is the most broke now?
MK11 while still being tame in comparison still has Jacqui leaping all over the place and you're not stopping her.

Broke stuff will find its way in MK1 like every other game before it but good movement that feels good will break MK1?

Sorry but I'm not buying into that.

The problem is not speed. It's "recovery frames", "dashes" and "block-stun". If they simply increase the speed, it will only look speedup..

To get rid off the clunky and stiff pace of the game, NRS needs to adress the following atleast:

Recovery frames
Dashes
Blockstun

Quantus

Rain for MK12 Kombat Pack 3
Fujin and Cetrion moving the way they could while Baraka or Noob Saibot were the slowest was brutal. When it comes to movement everyone should have the same tools.
Big disagree, character mobility is one of the ways to separate character from one another.

I think MK1 probably would be improved with better/easier mobility all around, but to say that all characters should have the same movement tools is silly.

Big disagree, character mobility is one of the ways to separate character from one another.

I think MK1 probably would be improved with better/easier mobility all around, but to say that all characters should have the same movement tools is silly.
I don't want base characters to be slower than other base characters while the latest DLC characters (like Rain, Fujin, Sheeva, Mileena, Robocop) are the fastest moving in the game. Pardon my french but fuck that. How bout find a better solution to separate characters than "well this character will just have sucky movement, isn't that unique and aweseome?"

Not for the people that want to play that character, my guy!

Quantus

I don't want base characters to be slower than other base characters while the latest DLC characters (like Rain, Fujin, Sheeva, Mileena, Robocop) are the fastest moving in the game.
So you just want your character to have all of the benefits of their strong normals and specials without any of the downsides of slow movement.

Do you play fighting games outside of Mortal Kombat?
Why does Dhalsim have such a floaty jump?
Why doesn't Potemkin have an air dash and why can't he run?
Why does Chipp get a 2nd air action?
Why can Magneto and Doctor Doom fly?

Pardon my french but fuck that. How bout find a better solution to separate characters than "well this character will just have sucky movement, isn't that unique and aweseome?"

You're just projecting here. The people who want to play Zangief have no problem with him being slow and methodical powerhouse.

So you just want your character to have all of the benefits of their strong normals and specials without any of the downsides of slow movement.

You're just projecting here. The people who want to play Zangief have no problem with him being slow and methodical powerhouse.
Okay well for MK1 Rain will move like he's in mud and then Baraka will get to move like he's on rollerskates and we'll talk about how cool that is for you when it happens, deal?

Quantus

Okay well for MK1 Rain will move like he's in mud and then Baraka will get to move like he's on rollerskates and we'll talk about how cool that is for you when it happens, deal?
Two things:
  1. If Rain is in the game and doesn't play the way that I want to play, I will pick a different character.
  2. If my character (whoever it may be) has strengths that offset their slow movement speed, then yes it would be cool with me.
Do you think I was a Rain main in MK11? I stopped playing MK11 before Aftermath, let alone KP2. I don't know how you read my post and thought I wouldn't be fine with a slower character lmao.

Yeah, i still remember playing SF3 Makoto. Shit walk speed, but insanely fast dash and hits like a truck (if you know how to play her).

So long as characters have something to make up for any other lacking parts of their game it shouldn't be a big issue and adds some uniqueness to them instead of them being copy/pastes with different skins and specials.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
But some here are clearly afraid of the Stryker zoning that is coming for them.
I have been a zoning zealot for over 20 years, and even I believe that Mortal Kombat 1 ought to have better movement, which helps zoning and rush down characters respectively.

In Street Fighter 6, every character, including Zangief, has access to drive rush, which essentially functions like a toned down run from Mortal Kombat X. However, for some characters, the run is as fast as any run in Mortal Kombat X so there is variety among the roster for those who are concerned about homogeneity.

While this mechanic obviously helps rush down characters, it also helps zoning characters, whose zoning would otherwise be too powerful and too frustrating to overcome, especially for new players.

Players have always enjoyed Tekken for its freestyle movement, and I am certain that Tekken 8 will be no exception.

For the first time in a long time, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, and Tekken will be released in the same year, with Tekken arguably being released early next year. While Mortal Kombat will sell no matter what, its standing in the competitive scene will be short-lived and forgotten if NRS refuses to add depth, variety, and long-term appeal to the game for tournament and casual players alike.

Superior movement options are a part of this equation.

Two things:
  1. If Rain is in the game and doesn't play the way that I want to play, I will pick a different character.
  2. If my character (whoever it may be) has strengths that offset their slow movement speed, then yes it would be cool with me.
Do you think I was a Rain main in MK11? I stopped playing MK11 before Aftermath, let alone KP2. I don't know how you read my post and thought I wouldn't be fine with a slower character lmao.
Oh well if you stopped playing MK11 before Aftermath then this whole argument is done. We're just going to have to violently disagree with each other.

Demon_0

RIP Akira Toriyama
Have you seen people attempt to dash in MK1? I saw Sonicfox do it and they could certainly do it but It looks bad. Janky and bad.
I HATE Sub's dash animation in MK1. His dash animation (overall animations honestly) in MK11 was so smooth. His MK1 dash sucks and it really bothers me.

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
I was just watching some of the stress test matches on youtube and I really thought that the game didn't actually look slow at all, and that everyone was exaggerating about it being slow, including me. The speed looked just fine.

Then I realized I had youtube set at 1.25 speed. Lol.

Bigger/stronger characters in SF like Zangief for example still play fluid and don't feel like they are glued to the ground (unlike the entire roster in MK games) Even in games like Tekken the stronger characters play fine.

Tbh, MK games always felt a bit stiff and sluggish compared to other popular fighting games.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
I don't want base characters to be slower than other base characters while the latest DLC characters (like Rain, Fujin, Sheeva, Mileena, Robocop) are the fastest moving in the game. Pardon my french but fuck that. How bout find a better solution to separate characters than "well this character will just have sucky movement, isn't that unique and aweseome?"

There are many flavors out there. Sweet, bitter, the list goes on. Out of all of these flavors, you chose to be salty.

Rude

Because they're playing Street Fighter, not MK.
Zangief players don't deal with this

Funny enough Injustice was the game that first took away dashes being cancellable. And look how that turned out :confused:
Pretty sure there's never been anything like that in an NRS game since?

Also, characters like Potemkin exist. You can have characters with bad movement provided they have other stuff to compensate.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
You can have characters with bad movement provided they have other stuff to compensate.
From the top of my head I can remember Reptile having a GOD-AWFUL dash in MK9, but godlike walking speed and that insanely fast dash-special move (which was safe if I recall correctly), so this is indeed true.

Rude

From the top of my head I can remember Reptile having a GOD-AWFUL dash in MK9, but godlike walking speed and that insanely fast dash-special move (which was safe if I recall correctly), so this is indeed true.
It was unsafe on block but plus when EX'd but yeah his normal dashes sucked but his mobility with elbow dash was great.