What's new

Unpopular opinion: custom variations is not fun and it is a goofy s**t

Belial

Noob
I must admit, customization does offer special moves combinations that allow for a MUCH stronger versions of characters to exist. Allowing customization in tournament will only lead to more disbalance. I do hope this custom specials will remain what gear was to injustice

Xelz

Go over there!
There’s a big difference between custom load outs and move imbalance, and while your topic is on custom load outs you’re really complaining about problems with a few moves.

Take your example of misery blade. The consensus among pro and top content creators is that Scorpion needs misery blade to be viable because he has no other safe combo enders. Misery blade isn’t op'd, it’s just that his other options suck so Scorpion players feel forced to choose MB. If you remove custom load outs, then Scorpion players will feel forced to select whichever variation has MB. And if you remove MB from all variations, then Scorpion players will feel forced to pick a different character.

You see, removing custom load outs doesn’t fix your MB example. Fixing the balance among Scorpion's base and optional move set would solve the problem without having to remove custom load outs.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Unless they give him another safe special I would legit never play Scorpion without misery blade and demon dash. He’s the only character I played with so I’m still undecided on custom variations. But as for the beta version of Scorpion, I feel that misery blade and demon dash are 100% necessary.

I also think it's more of a individual balance matter than anything. If sad sword is the most attractive option by comparison to his other tools, it's either we still haven't realized his potential or his other moves need to become more attractive.

It's still pretty tough to know at this point having only played a couple of old builds. Also it's not all set in stone by any means as there are people who go Gutted and people who go Blood Lunge.

Personally I love Leg Kabob, which conflicts with Gutted.

FrankOceansWaifu

Watch this set up.
That’s where the values and conflictions come in. Misery blade takes up 2 slots and conflicts with another move therefore already balancing it. You get one real good move with an extra one and that’s it while another person may want just 3 decent moves.

Cashual

PSN: Cansuela
Wrong btw.
Less used moves are more unpredictable.
And there isn’t actually a bad move. It’s subjective and depends on the play style. I hate cancel so I’m not using mysery blade. Instead I’d use a more appealing move and find right way to use it.
And it’s too soon for you to tell if the move is shit. It’s a beta.
I don’t necessarily agree with the other guy, but there are most definitely bad moves that have less utility than others. There will almost certainly end up being 1-2 optimal load outs for each character that the meta revolves around. You might see additional ones pop up on specific matchups, but there will be the “best” load outs that compliment the character’s base tools.

You hate cancels? Why?

I don't like cancels because they're just a weird input that doesn't appeal to me. Just don't like any of the stances they've put in games. I played with Misery Blade for a few minutes in a tower and found that hasn't changed.

That's why I really like the customization options. If there's something that's "meh" to you, you can ignore it in favour of something else which does.

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
I don’t necessarily agree with the other guy, but there are most definitely bad moves that have less utility than others. There will almost certainly end up being 1-2 optimal load outs for each character that the meta revolves around. You might see additional ones pop up on specific matchups, but there will be the “best” load outs that compliment the character’s base tools.

You hate cancels? Why?
Have a tough time fighting against them, have even tougher learning one. And esthetically they look kinda meh. Mysery blade looks good though.

Zhidoreptiloid

Watcher from the sky
Mister Paulo, which art in the netherrealm,
hallowed be thy name;
thy balance come;
thy will be done in earthrealm as it is in the netherrealm.

Give us this 3 variations;
and forgive us for custom variations
as we forgive them who tell us about custom;
and lead us into balance,
and deliver us from the broken kabal's shit.
Amen.

Problem with custom variations is that some moves will never be selected. We didn't have that problem with variations, because even though some were better than others, using a low tier variation had it's charm, it was challenging to make it work, or it just fits our playstyle. Like Predator, hish-qu-ten was the best, but many people loved hunter because traps are really cool.

In custom variations we don't have that, like who is ever gonna pick that useless upward glaive, or why would a scarlet player wouldn't pick cell siphon when it's fucking amazing.

Zhidoreptiloid

Watcher from the sky
Problem with custom variations, that some moves have SUCH powerfull synergy (sonic kabal's build for 50% combo + restand) that makes characters with original planned design with pros and cons, that moves just ignores cons of character and destroy his design (baraka's "gutted" destroy his cons with no midscreen combo potential).
Custom variations create OP combinations and destroy cons from original characters design

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Problem with custom variations, that some moves have SUCH powerfull synergy (sonic kabal's build for 50% combo + restand) that makes characters with original planned design with pros and cons, that moves just ignores cons of character and destroy his design (baraka's "gutted" destroy his cons with no midscreen combo potential).
Custom variations create OP combinations and destroy cons from original characters design
I get your concerns man, but let’s just wait for the full game to come out

Inzzane_79

Every time someone farts, a demon gets his wings
The game isn´t even released yet and you talk about OP combinations of moves……..

We get it, you have concernes and that is ok. But throwing everything in the trash bin and stigmata it without letting some time be put into the actual game is not very smart.

Will there be day1 very good moves/combinations that feel OP? Hell yes there will, that´s normal in Fighting games (or games in General).

Will the meta evolve with time and will people find ways to counter those moves? Also hell yeah, that´s how it works with games.

Will there be OP moves/combinations after some time has spend with the game? Probably, and that´s where balancepatches come into play.

Again, please for the sake of your own sanity, wait until some time has passed AFTER relese and then jump on conclusions and post what feels OP to you

Zhidoreptiloid

Watcher from the sky
Paulo said in interview, that they will balanced moves in 3 variations, and, if they will make them balanced, MAYBE, they add other moves or make custom variations and will balance other custom only moves (non-standart variations moves, like gutted) .
Characters have about 10 custom moves. They balanced only standart. What does it means? That means, that most of custom move was maked only for check without any testing for balance, and they not ready to be used in competetive play, they made for casual fun. Example is gutted - baraka general design is "good normals with not combo midscreen" - cons and pros. "Gutted" just removes one of originally designed cons (because, that move making not for balance, not for competetive play, only for casual fun) and then, all asked for moves, which makes without any good brainstorm, moves just for check, and they just destroy characters, example - kabal with such synergy, because both moves - air hook and restand, they both designed for casual play.
And that is only 2 of 5 characters, which completely broken by custom variations. And we have 20 left.
If you wanna custom varitions and if you wanna balance, then NRS must delete most of these moves and leave only standart variation move - for scorpion that will be TP cancel, air throw, demon dash, death spin, etc. No gutted. No mysery blade. No kabal's restand.

Inzzane_79

Every time someone farts, a demon gets his wings
Paulo said in interview, that they will balanced moves in 3 variations, and, if they will make them balanced, MAYBE, they add other moves or make custom variations and will balance other custom only moves (non-standart variations moves, like gutted) .
Characters have about 10 custom moves. They balanced only standart. What does it means? That means, that most of custom move was maked only for check without any testing for balance, and they not ready to be used in competetive play, they made for casual fun. Example is gutted - baraka general design is "good normals with not combo midscreen" - cons and pros. "Gutted" just removes one of originally designed cons (because, that move making not for balance, not for competetive play, only for casual fun) and then, all asked for moves, which makes without any good brainstorm, moves just for check, and they just destroy characters, example - kabal with such synergy, because both moves - air hook and restand, they both designed for casual play.
And that is only 2 of 5 characters, which completely broken by custom variations. And we have 20 left.
If you wanna custom varitions and if you wanna balance, then NRS must delete most of these moves and leave only standart variation move - for scorpion that will be TP cancel, air throw, demon dash, death spin, etc. No gutted. No mysery blade. No kabal's restand.
You have no clue how a "broken" character looks like...…

You´re just hating for the sake of hating now, please stop

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
I must admit, customization does offer special moves combinations that allow for a MUCH stronger versions of characters to exist. Allowing customization in tournament will only lead to more disbalance. I do hope this custom specials will remain what gear was to injustice
nah thx, the main reason injustice gear wasnt allowed was because of stats and because moves were locked behind rng and so they didnt balance around them. This is way different, you have all moves from the get go, so making custom variations not a thing seems like it would be a real downer.

Zhidoreptiloid

Watcher from the sky
And one more thought to custom variation: the more custom moves we have, by than the more difficult system. More difficult system - more chances to error.
I think, 10 or more custom moves it too much for one character (at least, at the start of the game). I think, NRS can start custom moves in competetive only with moves from 3 standart variations, and, if all will be ok and balance will come, then they can add new custom moves little by little from the pool - scorpions fireballs, njp etc.
I think, 6-7 custom moves at the start on a character is not too hard, as 10-12, like now we have