What's new

Unofficial UMK3 internet performance Thread

nwo

Noob
A thread where UMK3 players could post their Speedtest.net internet performance results if they want, to help figure out who they might want to play or avoid (instead of getting your day ruined).

I don't claim to have the fastest internet, just average to above average Comcast Cable.

Last edited:

ThaShiveGeek

Est In Harvey 1989
And to be sure are we talking about the Arcade Kollection from past gen? I'd love to play MK1, 2, & 3 with ANYONE on the PS3.

MRIGOTBASS

We should have a player willingness to play performance test, like the ratio of times you have to ask to play somebody for months on end before they actually will play or not LOL.

Trikke.91

Noob Saibot
for me this is completely unnecessary tests because they are in Italy, and the test is good here, but when I play online against people across the world will slow down this is normal, however, as soon as I get the chance I will come to you in america.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I really wish I could get FiOS. There actually isn't Fios even in GA, let alone my area. The best I can get right now is ATT Uverse which is ass, especially when there's like 4 devices at minimum connected to the internet.

My Down 11, Up is 2. Ping is 25.

I don't feel like posting proof, it's too shameful. This is based on WiFi, however.

Dank_Sinatra

Comfortably Numb
I really wish I could get FiOS. There actually isn't Fios even in GA, let alone my area. The best I can get right now is ATT Uverse which is ass, especially when there's like 4 devices at minimum connected to the internet.

My Down 11, Up is 2. Ping is 25.

I don't feel like posting proof, it's too shameful. This is based on WiFi, however.
Everyone wants FiOS. Very few cities are gifted with both FiOS and affordable service. Comcast just began offering a FiOS in my area but they want $300/month, $1000 installation and a two year contract. In other words; Comcast doesn't want to have to spend their own money to lay out the infrastructure, they want their customers to pay for it. Give it a couple years and the prices will drop, hopefully. Gotta be one of the fortunate few in big name cities. Hell even what i'm paying now which is over $100.00/month for just internet seems to be half the price in a lot of other places in the world. It's so nice only having a couple options to choose from.

dubson

Noob
Everyone wants FiOS. Very few cities are gifted with both FiOS and affordable service. Comcast just began offering a FiOS in my area but they want $300/month, $1000 installation and a two year contract. In other words; Comcast doesn't want to have to spend their own money to lay out the infrastructure, they want their customers to pay for it. Give it a couple years and the prices will drop, hopefully. Gotta be one of the fortunate few in big name cities. Hell even what i'm paying now which is over $100.00/month for just internet seems to be half the price in a lot of other places in the world. It's so nice only having a couple options to choose from.
Is there a point of diminishing returns? Like would I see much benefit from FiOS over what you have for example?

Does p2p work by averaging a connection between the two players connections? What about server play?

nwo

Noob
Is there a point of diminishing returns? Like would I see much benefit from FiOS over what you have for example?

Does p2p work by averaging a connection between the two players connections? What about server play?
I don't think it would be that much of a benefit unless you were playing someone who could match your internet speed.

Usually a person with shitty internet will have the advantage, particularly a low upload speed. From my experience, that's what I believe. Even p2p won't fix that.

People should focus on getting off of wifi and upgrading to this decades internet performance, it would make playing online a lot more enjoyable overall.

mkholic

Noob
one would think that people care more about jitter and packet loss when it comes to games like umk than about throughput, pretty pics though, reeeeeeeal pretty
Usually a person with shitty internet will have the advantage...

Last edited:

MRIGOTBASS

The speed you are sold by Comcast, Verizon, Time Warner, ect is "Circuit Speed" this is only what your circuit is provisioned at.
This type of internet is what is known as "Best Effort" intenet. There is 0 gaurentee that you will have this bandwidth available.
Fios, Comcast 2Gig, ect is included in this "Best Effort" class.

Fios for example is 1 Fiber from the Central Office to the nehiborhood that can be split off into 32 individual fibers for the homes.
The main fiber has a capicity of 2gbs download and 1 gbps upload. So if all the people are using thier service at the same time,
and 32 people are attached to that fiber you will not get your paid for speed hence the name "Best Effot"

Comcast is HFC Hybrid Fiber Coax, in which a fiber is run to the node on the telephone pole in which it is converted to Coax and delivered to
X amount of homes. The same can happen in this scenerio, the node only has so much bandwidth over the fiber and typically is oversold
banking on the fact everyone wont use thier service at the same time.

Speedtest results are irrelevent for the following reasons.

Each ISP is thier own network, they connect to other ISP's at large centers called internet exchanges, or peering points.

For example, if @Sharks_Breath is on Comcast in Detroit, and his buddy is on ATT in detroit, theoretically he should have an amazing connection right ? Wrong.

Comcast peers with the rest of the world for detroit in Chicago, so best case scenerio is that ATT also peers in Chicago as well. So to play that person, the route
has to go from Detroit to Chicago back to Detroit. If ATT doesnt peer in Chicago the route may take many many bounces and a player in the same city as you may have 5-60ms ping because of poor peering.

A lot of ISPS have terrible peering and just because you are geographically located near somone doesnt mean that the connection peers in a reasonable mannor, You may be sent across the country before you get to the other person. All depends on routing and peering.

Also a lot of ISPs, and this is in the news constantly have terrible peering arraingements with other providers, just because you have a 500mb connection from your house to the central office, doesnt mean if you are trying to download content from a certain network, Google, Amazon AWS, Youtube ect that you also will have 500mbps because the "Peering" between Verizon and Youtube may be either saturated or purposefully throttled.

I have a 500mbps connection and Netflix still buffers sometimes ect.

Also many people experience a 1 sided delay with UMK3, a major source of that is as follows.

Lets take 2 players 1 in NYC 1 in Chicago, The route the person in NYC may be very direct, minimal amt of hops, like NYC to Chicago direct, however
the person in chicago's route to NYC may take crazy bounces Chicago, Texas, Nashville VA then to NYC.

Naturally the player in Chicago will see the moves of the player in NYC faster than the player in NYC seing the Chicago players moves, You have a 50ms ping however
you may have 20ms of that from you to the other person and because of bad routing they may have a 30ms return path.

Unless you are playing on the SAME ISP as the other player the connection has a EXTREMELY small chance of having the same inbound and outbound routing.

A speed test is only a gauge of your Circuit speed and has 0 to do with how you will peer with another player.
There is NO universal "Speed Test" ect to determine how you will connect with another player believe me.

Add in DSL, People with Docsis Cable living in APT buildings with terrible uncontrolably inside wiring, WIFI, oversaturated nodes, oversold fiber ect and you can see how internet gaming will NEVER and i repeat NEVER work.

nwo

Noob
That's a lot of info man.

A speed test is only a gauge of your Circuit speed and has 0 to do with how you will peer with another player.
There is NO universal "Speed Test" ect to determine how you will connect with another player believe me.

Add in DSL, People with Docsis Cable living in APT buildings with terrible uncontrolably inside wiring, WIFI, oversaturated nodes, oversold fiber ect and you can see how internet gaming will NEVER and i repeat NEVER work.
Obviously online gaming will never be perfect, it even looks like MKX is already crashing and burning, I was reading some threads on here people seem to be very upset with the netcode.

Are you trying to say though, that having ultra low internet speed doesn't make a difference and is acceptable?

Obviously you'll have better connections with some people depending on their location.

dubson

Noob
That's a lot of info man.

Obviously online gaming will never be perfect, it even looks like MKX is already crashing and burning, I was reading some threads on here people seem to be very upset with the netcode.

Are you trying to say though, that having ultra low internet speed doesn't make a difference and is acceptable?

Obviously you'll have better connections with some people depending on their location.
There has to be some point of diminishing returns doesn't there?

I don't think the average internet connection 10 years ago was anywhere close to what it is now, was it? And people played 06 UMK3 on Xbox Live and MAME and other internet games just fine. How does that and the fact that this game is 20 years old play as variables into it? It can't be as strenuous on a connection as MKX for example can it? There naturally just isn't near the amount of things going on, input wise, frame wise, background wise, engine wise, everything? Which would imply that you can play this game at an optimal level easier (on a weaker connection) then for example MKX? But I don't know?

The whole peering and bouncing concepts he described make a lot of sense. Very informative post, I didn't know most of that.

Last edited:

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S

EdFig81 for PC MKAK
EdFig81 for XBOX 360 MKAK and UMK (original)
I don't have a PS3 right now (getting a new one) but i do have MKAK and EdFig81 on PSN.

Haven't played much in awhile but i still jump on xbox 360 sometimes. PC verison via GFL is dead imo online.

MRIGOTBASS

EdFig81 for PC MKAK
EdFig81 for XBOX 360 MKAK and UMK (original)
I don't have a PS3 right now (getting a new one) but i do have MKAK and EdFig81 on PSN.

Haven't played much in awhile but i still jump on xbox 360 sometimes. PC verison via GFL is dead imo online.
Is Natas still alive ??