What's new

General/Other - Alien Unofficial Official Xenomorph PRE-RELEASE Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

themanDan

The saw is family
His acidic variation looks to be the best imo; dot puddles/projectiles that stack for crazy dmg mixed with his long range AND quick normals, and that insane anti-air :eek:. I didn't see myself playing this character, but acidic looks like too much fun not to.

ScorpXL

Goro?
i'm sure i'm making a mountain out of a mole hill, but they called him alien instead of xenomorph...that seems just lazy/stupid.
You know, it's actually a common misconception. "Xenomorph" isn't what they're really called. AVP made everyone think that it's their scientific name, but ironically the term xenomorph is nothing more than military slang for unknown life form. The term was first used in Aliens by Gorman. He called them that because he was still an inexperienced officer, so he wanted to make himself seem smarter than he really was. Especially since the other colonial marines knew he was green as grass. In the strictest sense of the word, xenomorph means 'Alien'. It also translates to murderous thief in Latin. A lot of people just assume that xenomorph is the actual name of the species, but that's only true in the AVP novels, comics, and games. The canonical legitimacy of those are questionable at best tbh. Doesn't really make much sense for scientists to use vague military slang as the name of an extraterrestrial life form does it? Them calling it Alien is actually quite accurate.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
So I know this joke has been around forever and we're tired of it but seriously, the accidic variation is like mixing Ven Dvorah and Nox Reptile and then doing their job better. Am I crazy for thinking this? I mean pokes with DoT acid, ranged DoT acid and stacking puddles of acid.

ScorpXL

Goro?
Acidic looks really good to me. That chip damage was insane. The tarkatan variation looks awesome too. And as for konjurer... I can't wait to see all the "Does alien invalidate subzero" threads.
:DOGE

if his damage is in fact low across the board, that will be justified by the fact that his 5050s look to be the most unpredictable in the game.
Saw it got punished after doing the overhead ender. If this is true then its not that good of a 5050 move. Mediocre dmg and no juggle if you dont ex throw ender

TommyKing5

But the saw... the saw is family
Very fast armour as well, at least he won't be like Predator in that regard, but I didn't think he'd be like that anyway.
My worries about him being zoned out have been totally blown out the window.

Too early to tell but I think I'll either pick up Acidic or Konjurer.

Overall NRS did an amazing job of bringing the Xenomorph into Kombat.

You know, it's actually a common misconception. "Xenomorph" isn't what they're really called. AVP made everyone think that it's their scientific name, but ironically the term xenomorph is nothing more than military slang for unknown life form. The term was first used in Aliens by Gorman. He called them that because he was still an inexperienced officer, so he wanted to make himself seem smarter than he really was. Especially since the other colonial marines knew he was green as grass. In the strictest sense of the word, xenomorph means 'Alien'. It also translates to murderous thief in Latin. A lot of people just assume that xenomorph is the actual name of the species, but that's only true in the AVP novels, comics, and games. The canonical legitimacy of those are questionable at best tbh. Doesn't really make much sense for scientists to use vague military slang as the name of an extraterrestrial life form does it? Them calling it Alien is actually quite accurate.
i guess then its a toss up then, and they went with the movie title. The term alien isn't really anymore descriptive and was used in the same informal fashion, alien just means foreign entity.

"muderous theif" is pseudo-latin created for the alien quadrilogy dvd, they also say its latin for "foul tongue from Acheron" in some comic books, also fictional. xeno is a latin prefix that means foreign/alien/strange, morph is form/shape, so basically the same as alien.

lol in the movies they refer to them more frequently as "they/it/them", but that would also be weird to call them.

Last edited:

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
i guess then its a toss up then, and they went with the movie title vs other less cannon sources (comics etc). The term alien isn't really anymore descriptive, alien is just a foreign entity . lol in the movies they refer to them more frequently as "they/it/them", but that would also be weird to call them.
I usually call them shes since they're based off insects, at least the colony aspect and most insects happen to be female. The males were normally used for reproduction but they use other species for that.

I usually call them shes since they're based off insects, at least the colony aspect and most insects happen to be female. The males were normally used for reproduction but they use other species for that.
makes sense why they have queens, i can't help buy think of this...

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
That does makes some sense, but we know that they don't have any genitalia on their bodies, only the queens have sexual reproductive organs attached to them.

The genitals are within the face hugger eggs, which only the queens can lay.

So they aren't male or female, because they lack the parts to be classified as such.

ShadyHeart

Relationship with Sonya ended
It looks to me like tarkatan will be inferior unless it has good variation specific overhead/low attacks. Its specials looked like garbage compared to the other variations. Maybe they're super safe or some such.

The Ultimate

aka CommandThrower
I'm kind of underwhelmed by what we saw on the KK. Based on what we were shown, Acidic looks like the best variation. It seems as if those projecties do an extra 5-6% of damage in the chip alone, which is freaking insane. As a Baraka fan, I of course am most hyped for the Tarkatan variation, but I wasn't too thrilled by what we were shown. Aside from the Acidic projectile, nothing really jumped out at me as being super good, but again, we probably have just scratched the surface.

I'll be waiting for us to really dig deep to see what dirt Alien has, until then...I'm more hyped for the other three Kombat Pack characters.

Darth-Nero

Come Thunder! Come Lightning!
Alien's getting released with his damage nerf prepatched. Basically every kompat pack must come with atleast one joke character, but i never thought Alien is going to take that hit. Shit-tier stream also.
#Killing_the_hype

Darth-Nero

Come Thunder! Come Lightning!
Acidic looks really good to me. That chip damage was insane. The tarkatan variation looks awesome too. And as for konjurer... I can't wait to see all the "Does alien invalidate subzero" threads.
If there should ever be such a thread it should be "Alien invalidates D'vorah"
Each variation of Alien is just D'vorah done better (with the exception of the crappy damage)
Acidic > Venomous
konjurer > Brood mother
Tarkatan > swarm queen

Edit: oh, forgot the doge

ScorpXL

Goro?
If there should ever be such a thread it should be "Alien invalidates D'vorah"
Each variation of Alien is just D'vorah done better (with the exception of the crappy damage)
Acidic > Venomous
konjurer > Brood mother
Tarkatan > swarm queen
Before the Kombat Kast, I already predicted that Acidic would be a mix of venomous and noxious. So yeah, I agree with your first statement. But Konjurer looks nothing like brood mother. D'vorah can't summon anything that hits overhead and she can't spawn traps either. And I don't think I even need to explain why Tarkatan isn't anything like Swarm Queen. The only similarity I can think of is the chop chop move and D'vorah's ovipositor charge, which she has in all variations anyway.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
After rewatching, man, that damage is incredibly low. Is there a character who does less damage for one bar? Hope it doesn't become an issue later down the line, but 1 bar for 25% midscreen is kinda rough. Can't say it's a range thing because look at Takeda. Hopefully we can find higher damage than that.

Last edited:

ScorpXL

Goro?
After rewatching, man, that damage is incredbly low. Is there a character who does less damage for one bar? Hope it doesn't become an issue later down the line, but 1 bar for 25% midscreen is kinda rough. Hopefully we can find higher damage than that.
Yeah, I noticed this too. But to be fair, most of the combos 16 bit did were from raw specials. He didn't start that many combos with Alien's regular strings. I'm sure we'll be able to find much more optimized setups when we finally get a chance to lab with this character.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Yeah, I noticed this too. But to be fair, most of the combos 16 bit did were from raw specials. He didn't start that many combos with Alien's regular strings. I'm sure we'll be able to find much more optimized setups when we finally get a chance to lab with this character.
What gets me worried is he did some strings + specials and used 2 bars with the Baraka Chop ender and it did like 27%. I don't think I can purposely do a 2 bar 27% combo with most characters lol. So I'm hoping there's maybe some big setups into more damage or higher damage combos in general. Probably the only thing I saw that has me nervous but there's likely something we didn't see in such limited gameplay.

ScorpXL

Goro?
What gets me worried is he did some strings + specials and used 2 bars with the Baraka Chop ender and it did like 27%. I don't think I can purposely do a 2 bar 27% combo with most characters lol. So I'm hoping there's maybe some big setups into more damage or higher damage combos in general. Probably the only thing I saw that has me nervous but there's likely something we didn't see in such limited gameplay.
It seems like the damage of Alien's specials scale pretty badly. Possibly due to the fact that his specials deal low damage overall. Especially for his multi-hit specials, they deal low damage and hit a bunch of times which may be hurting his damage potential. For example, his pounce attack hits 5 times but only does 10 % and in his Tarkatan variation, his chop chop move hits 8 times and only does 8 %. Even the ex version only deals 11% despite hitting 10 times.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
It seems like the damage of Alien's specials scale pretty badly. Possibly due to the fact that his specials deal low damage overall. Especially for his multi-hit specials, they deal low damage and hit a bunch of times which may be hurting his damage potential. For example, his pounce attack hits 5 times but only does 10 % and in his Tarkatan variation, his chop chop move hits 8 times and only does 8 %. Even the ex version only deals 11% despite hitting 10 times.
True. We'll have to use his strings for better damage into stuff because of scaling.

I noticed something. When they were showcasing the Crawl Special, there was a string that looked like a 113 that popped up on the 3rd hit, then a quick run, then there was a two tail string for the 4th and 5th hit, and then the pounce ender for a meterless 24%. Right after Derek says "slow it down Steve" or something like that.

So I'm thinking that you can take that, but EX a pop up into another string and then an ender, likely into the low 30s for a bar in damage. Or maybe we can find more optimal combos as well. There's hope!

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
Both Acidic and Tarkatan look pretty fun.
Giving Baraka a rekka seems like a good idea, dude doesn't have much going for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.