What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Kung Lao Unfavorable matchups

YoShadowFiend

"I will not be so passive, in your demise."
I think the chars Lao is going to have trouble with is chars with either great ground and air control and high damage 50/50s.

I still believe [BOJ]Kung Jin is terrible for buzzsaw lao as i explained in my earlier posts.

I believe Jax isnt as bad as sonya. Her offense and Mixups is alot easier to get started although jax has more tools in neutral. You would have to bait her options mid/fullscrn.

Chars like Erron or Raiden is easier to keep out because of their lack of midrange tools/far. low hat controls alot of the ground getting them to block or jump. Raiden can jump hat and dive but thats incredibly risky.

I think the chars Lao is going to have trouble with is chars with either great ground and air control and high damage 50/50s.

I still believe [BOJ]Kung Jin is terrible for buzzsaw lao as i explained in my earlier posts.

I believe Jax isnt as bad as sonya. Her offense and Mixups is alot easier to get started although jax has more tools in neutral. You would have to bait her options mid/fullscrn.

Chars like Erron or Raiden is easier to keep out because of their lack of midrange tools/far. low hat controls alot of the ground getting them to block or jump. Raiden can jump hat and dive but thats incredibly risky.
raiden can just superman low hat

At the fan pick tournament when f0xy got nervous with his low hats, yes Nivek's raiden did just superman. But you can try to bait the superman and get a combo full punish starting with 44. Also at a close enough space it's near impossible to superman on reaction
In general I like to use low hat at a mid range where it is hard to react to. If it is too far away it will be too easy for the opponent to jump hats and then you have to wait for it to respawn again.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
I personally always have the most trouble against Mos Ermac. Kung Lao is a high risk high reward character with specials like spin and dive kick and when a good player is playing Ermac he's getting 30% meterless everytime he touches me which leave so little room for error. GM Sub is an annoying one too. The low hat fights the slide great but the clone in the corner is trouble when the sub knows you're going to EX Spin. I'm curious to know, does anyone think tempest is a better matchup for sub?

Buzzsaw has a clear advantage over GM sub IMO, he forces sub to close the gap, Lao is only high risk if you play him high risk, his MB spin is the riskiest thing about him, and thats only if you do it after a blockstring to stop people pressing buttons.

Any clone cancels except F4 clone can be punished by ex spin, Ex spin also punishes things like B2 from behind the clone

Jeremy vega

Kung Lao is the GOAT
Buzzsaw has a clear advantage over GM sub IMO, he forces sub to close the gap, Lao is only high risk if you play him high risk, his MB spin is the riskiest thing about him, and thats only if you do it after a blockstring to stop people pressing buttons.

Any clone cancels except F4 clone can be punished by ex spin, Ex spin also punishes things like B2 from behind the clone
Yea and the low hat checks the slide. I figured it out soon after I posted that. Congrats on last night man ! I made a post saying you would win earlier in the week. Your patience was key. I'm trying to learn how to do the 11212 string consistently. You utilize so well with the cancel options.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Yea and the low hat checks the slide. I figured it out soon after I posted that. Congrats on last night man ! I made a post saying you would win earlier in the week. Your patience was key. I'm trying to learn how to do the 11212 string consistently. You utilize so well with the cancel options.
The way I do it is by tapping 1 then sliding my finger from 1 to 2 twice.. Maybe that'll help?

Sulfur

Winning feels better when you take a little damage
I could see some pre patch characters giving him a hard time but as of right now he's theoretically pretty solid

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
Hey guy,
in need of some clarification here...currently, what is Kung Lao's Hat Trick worst match up ?
Some people don't like Teleporters, although I disagree as I feel Hat Traps do work against teleports.

I'd say he's much like Tempest, in that nothing REALLY sucks for him, he doesn't have any massive holes open up in what he trades off, he just has some different tools.

Just my opinion anyway.

DDTECH

H8TR MKR
I've found mastering Temp / Buzzsaw show to be smart.

I see alot of people talking about GMSub, Buzz easily is the way to answer this along with those who overuse the slide.. or wake up a slide, Meter ground saw will wreck.

I've found for me personally my biggest issue is with ermac, particularly the vortex combo you can be put in with him and his overhead starter..

I main BS, but picked up temp a few weeks ago and have been wrecking a good bit...
I've ran into issues with some full AUTO guys who actually have mastered timing our teleports and other things.. if you come across a full auto master, its hard to beat them, seriously.