What's new

Strategy - Unbreakable Unbreakable Buff Theory

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Many of you guys may have seen the Kombat Kast and witnessed Unbreakble's new buff to his MB slide while the Aura is active.

For anyone that didn't catch it, here it is:

So far, I have noticed people being happy about this for "rushdown" reasons, and for me, I think this is a completely wrong angle to come at this from. It is a good buff, although we don't know what sort of damage comes from this at the cost of a bar yet, we will have to see if it is worth it over MB Aura cancels, saving for X-Ray, MB Aura shatters on jumping opponent etc etc, and as good as it is, it does address his turtling option, but it doesn't address his meter building option, or he parry not recovering instantly on projectiles, or its general start up.

MY TWO CENTS:

VARIATION FALLBACK:

Unbreakable is supposed to be a defensive variation, but the problem is, once Sub Zero establishes a lead, he can't exactly turtle the opponent as one of two things happen:

1. Once you have established the life lead opponent, turtling becomes counter productive when you try to utilise the no chip damage feature of the Aura, as you give the opponent huge amounts of meter by blocking projectiles, so once you hit the opponent, they should always have breaker at hand, or an armoured option to threaten your advance with or enhance their offence once they get started.

2. The opponent has nothing to fear once you gain the lead, as you can't really do anything to stop them from sitting fullscreen keeping the life lead and gaining the meter advantage. This forces you to overextend or attempt to use ghetto pressure or unsafe 50/50's...remember the low won't work without a bar of meter on male opponents.

HOW THE CHANGE WILL WORK FOR UNBREAKABLE:
Now once Unbreakable gets a life lead vs a zoner, they always have to respect that he can MB Slide them into a freeze, then possible B2, F42 Slide into a HKD, with the choice to run in, safe jump, or back off.

Honestly, that is it, that is the only thing that this affects. His offence will not or nor should it constsit of spending meter on MB aura slides, as you can combo without out, and opponents should be blocking low in all his pressure anyway, and trying to scout the B1 on reaction. Also, we currently don't know how much damage a MB Slide does yet, if it does the lower 20's in damage, it may not be something to respect that much...

METER BUILDING ISSUE:
One of Unbreakables major issues is his meter building, which in theory, is should come from blocking attacks while the Aura is active (same mechanic as Blood God) because he can't do this, he is the worst meter building character in the game while at the same time, he is also one of the most meter dependant in the game.

OTHER ISSUES: Meter building, Pressure, Parry, Damage.

Last edited:

STK

Beso de Muerte + Fantasía Oscura
I was thinking this changes this variation to "Rushdown" assuming they fixed the parry because of f4 ex IA. 50/50 into ex slide would be good. But i forgot about the meter building struggles. Great OP @UsedForGlue
Hopefully they do fix these issues. Even better that ex slide freezes in all variations.

Samsara

Resident Cynic
So basically we have more ways to spend meter we don't have? NRS is assuming will always have a stick of butter because this variation is more or less a "hard-mode" punching bag.

Hopefully I'll be eating my words come March, but right now I'm lukewarm.

stamatis

Όσα δε φτάνει η αλεπού. ........
I believe it would worth the meter cost.
I do not want to see 2 bars for a 21% for example.This would be lame,but let's hope since they gave him attention he can rely on.

Last edited:

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Cryo had a bit of a meter building problem too, but players can curb it with strict meter management. If the new UB changes help him find a real niche, opponents don't build meter or parry recovers faster, he can be handled similarly.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Unbreakable is supposed to be the variation you use against those who outzone you in GM/Cry. Why does he necessarilly have to be turtley himself?

There's no doubt in whether ex slide is worth it. It's a 9f low whiff punisher with ridiculous reach, recovery and, from what was shown in the video, barely any scaling when unoptimised combos looked to be doing 20. Add an extra b12 and it should be 25. That seems more than worth it, for a bar.

Arguments against the slide are weak. Slide isn't something you throw out in pressure of hope to catch someone off guard with. It's a tool that the opponent must respect from 3/4 screen when the slightest hint of a projectile/slow moved can be reacted to for a combo. Projectile, jump in, jump back, whiff punish, armoured, low profiling, all is good. And don't forget that there's a high possibilty it extends combo damage out of things like B2 B2 B12 in the corner or 212 punishes midscreen.

One solid buff would be aura having a passive meter build or parry doing a flat 10% before the followup combo. I believe SZ has very good buttons, which is what people should actually fear, one of the best J1s in the game to enforce the "look at the ground, now back to me, look back again, I'm not there" classic.

It's the parry and meter build indeed that weaken him in comparison to other characters. But, make no mistake, he's not supposed to be a primarily defensive character, just a pain in the ass against zoners which can serve as a variation against the first set of a FT3 then pass the char select-variation change meta to your own.

Generalbit

The blade of osh-tekk is stale.
I feel like this variation could be really good if they implemented that meter build on block suggestion. Zoners wouldn't bother him and pressure characters would only hurt themselves, it could shut down some characters options. It's a slippery slope changing unbreakable, it could be too much real easy.

Edit: I don't play the character and don't know the struggle first hand, I just know that it would be a pain to go against.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Unbreakable is supposed to be the variation you use against those who outzone you in GM/Cry. Why does he necessarilly have to be turtley himself?

There's no doubt in whether ex slide is worth it. It's a 9f low whiff punisher with ridiculous reach, recovery and, from what was shown in the video, barely any scaling when unoptimised combos looked to be doing 20. Add an extra b12 and it should be 25. That seems more than worth it, for a bar.

Arguments against the slide are weak. Slide isn't something you throw out in pressure of hope to catch someone off guard with. It's a tool that the opponent must respect from 3/4 screen when the slightest hint of a projectile/slow moved can be reacted to for a combo. Projectile, jump in, jump back, whiff punish, armoured, low profiling, all is good. And don't forget that there's a high possibilty it extends combo damage out of things like B2 B2 B12 in the corner or 212 punishes midscreen.

One solid buff would be aura having a passive meter build or parry doing a flat 10% before the followup combo. I believe SZ has very good buttons, which is what people should actually fear, one of the best J1s in the game to enforce the "look at the ground, now back to me, look back again, I'm not there" classic.

It's the parry and meter build indeed that weaken him in comparison to other characters. But, make no mistake, he's not supposed to be a primarily defensive character, just a pain in the ass against zoners which can serve as a variation against the first set of a FT3 then pass the char select-variation change meta to your own.
I say this because, Grandmaster is a space control and corner characters, Cyro is a 50/50 character, and Unbreakable...

It should be your defensive character, otherwise, what is the point in the variation system.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I say this because, Grandmaster is a space control and corner characters, Cyro is a 50/50 character, and Unbreakable...

It should be your defensive character, otherwise, what is the point in the variation system.
I'd argue that Cryo is more of a conversion variation since he gets ridiculous damage off of anything. GM also is defensive just by the very nature of space control.

The theme of unbreakable was a fortress-like variation that can beat zoners but it devolves into a defensive variation because no zoner is without offense in this game. Having a parry + a full combo slide + a damage reduction aura + amazing normals is pretty good defensive-wise but they don't work. NRS games are all about applying your bullshit more than the opponent applies theirs and a variation like this feels too passive to be of any use outside of your own skill.