What's new

UMK3 on iPhone

Upon a closer look, I'm thinking the animation is entirely redone, which is what I expected for the HD collection (it would be impossible to recreate with the same frame data with new captures).

LK's two kick combo looks to have more frames of animation and just slightly faster. At least to me, but I'm curious to see what others think. I think the standing kick is definitely noticeably faster.

*edit* so the sprites are definitely 3D. I think this is a good move as they can actually use the same hitbox and frame data from the original UMK. And if this is any indication the characters might actually look pretty cool rendered instead of captured. I'm glad they went for a realistic look instead of a 're-imagining' of them.

I disagree, you gotta remember iphone runs at 320x240 resolution. So the screenshots are gonna look like junk partly because of that.

I think for the very little bit we can see it shows promise.

Yeah, I think it would be easy to get upset about the graphics changing and that it will definitely play different to some extent.

But at this point it's just cool to see UMK popping up everywhere.

7h30n

Noob
The game is out. General feedback is positive.

But, there is no online mutliplayer. Just local wi-fi and bluetooth ones.

I'm passing this one...

Noob
Well, I don't have pics or vids to post, but I can definitely say that, if you are looking for a good UMK3 experience that is portable, look elsewhere. This game, while it does actually look kinda cool, does very little to actually recreate the feeling of UMK3.

The virtual stick and buttons are very poor and moves don't come out consistently... you feel as if you're fighting the controls and not the game. Auto combos don't work well...some hits that should connect actually miss. This could have been so much better.

Currently, the game only has 9 characters and 2 "?" boxes that are not selectable.

Current charcters are:
Unmasked Sub-Zero
Scorpion
Kitana
Nightwolf
Jax
Sheeva
Sonya
Liu Kang
Stryker

While the new 3d look to the characters is kinda cool, they game just doesn't perform right. As I said, the virtual controls are just way off. There are 2 control styles, a one with a Block, Run, Punch, Kick and Special button... the other is the standard 6 button HP, LP, HK, LK, BL, Run and you can theoretically configure them, but the problem is that they buttons don't always stay where you want them to move to.

One kinda cool thing that's new is that all the characters have a small "intro" before starting the fight...they all do their win pose right before starting the fight.

In terms of bugs, I have already noticed that if you do Scorpion's teleport punch, it can sometimes cause the screen to stop scrolling until you perform another teleport punch which will bring the screen back to focus on the fighters and begin scrolling with them again... it's very disorienting and you can be fighting completely off the screen and have no idea what's going on when this happens.

Overall, if you're looking for UMK3 on the go, stick to the DS version.

I'm kind of half and half with what you said.

My final verdict would be that if you're capable of playing on a touch screen, go for it. If you hate touch screen this isn't a good game for you.

Personally, I can play on a touch screen (although I'm not crazy about it).

I can do LK's 7 hit combo np pretty much all the time, and inputs are all pretty responsive for me.

It took me a long time to get the button mapping the way I wanted it (it says in the description of the game there is a classic mode somewhere, but I can't find it).

the flow of the game seems alright, but there are teleport animations that don't quite work right. Motaro tele just kinda 'happens' and you dont even get an animation for it.

In the end, it's kind of a like a cool tech demo. It shows a little bit of capability and that if they were to take this serious they could release a pretty cool HD version on the main consoles.

Also, I'm gonna try it tonight with my wiimote and see how that works and I'll get some video.

Also, Phil, what model iphone do you have?

I have a 3GS, and it runs smooth, but I had to shut down a few other apps. With others running it hit some sluggish moments.

Noob
Also, Phil, what model iphone do you have?

I have a 3GS, and it runs smooth, but I had to shut down a few other apps. With others running it hit some sluggish moments.
I don't have an iphone, I have the G4 Ipod Touch and it was the only app I was running.

But I will agree, it is definitely more like a tech demo than an actual game.

It's still not UMK3 though... and anyone looking to play UMK3 is better off choosing the DS version.

Noob
Also, based on the choose your destiny pillars, I can confirm that Ermac is in fact in the game.

Yeah, I would hope nobody is actually planning on replacing the DS version with this.

But at the very least it's UMK3 for a new audience, so I hope everyone supports it.

I'll have fun messing with it and playing a couple friends online (on jailbroken iphone I can play on 3G).

Oh, and the most important part is that there's serious potential here with these 3D models.

I think they can theoretically make these models looks 100x better and use something similar to this to faithfully recreate UMK3 on 360 or PS3 as an XBL title.

Noob
Oh, and the most important part is that there's serious potential here with these 3D models.

I think they can theoretically make these models looks 100x better and use something similar to this to faithfully recreate UMK3 on 360 or PS3 as an XBL title.
I was actually going to say that... some things I definitely noticed is that Run cancelling is still intact and works as it should. Hp to freeze works properly, etc. I think that if they can take these models and shape them up we'd be looking at a cool recreation of UMK3 with 2.5d visuals and proper gameplay as long as they keep the ratio of the characters and the stages in proportion to the original game.

I have been testing a lot of auto combos, and have gotten most to work here.

I can get stryker's pop up to work fun, but I haven't been able to catch with the gun after, has anyone attempted it?

If that works I'm pretty sure all his stuff would work, the command throw and everything else seems to be the same as usual.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
While it's not horrendous, it's really just a question of, "What were they thinking?"