What's new

UMK3 Now Available on iPhone; On Sale for $0.99

from trmk

A few weeks ago EA Mobile release Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 for Java capable phones. Now we just learned they are set to release an upcoming iPhone port for the game before Christmas. KnowYourMobile has a first look review of the game, along with a video of the game itself. So no longer is our mockup April Fools joke the only iPhone port of Mortal Kombat.

The article claims the game was updated with 3D models for this platform, so it's likely many changes have been made to this port like the recent J2EE port to make the game a better fit for the platform. The game will have only 11 playable fighters, down from the original roster of 22. But it's likely that the two bosses (Goro? and Shao Kahn) may be unlockable as they are on the J2EE version. On that note they actually added a whole new mode to the game called Shao Karnage that we're itching to check out. The game will also feature local multiplayer over WiFi.

We expect to get our hands on it and a review out the door as soon as the game is available, along with our yet unpublished J2EE review. Until then, here is their video to get an idea of how the game looks.

Noob
UMK3 Available For Iphone/Ipod Touch/Ipad Today

Just got it.. will update with info soon.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Phil post an article on the front page if you have time. Images and all if you can..

Noob
Well, I don't have pics or vids to post, but I can definitely say that, if you are looking for a good UMK3 experience that is portable, look elsewhere. This game, while it does actually look kinda cool, does very little to actually recreate the feeling of UMK3.

The virtual stick and buttons are very poor and moves don't come out consistently... you feel as if you're fighting the controls and not the game. Auto combos don't work well...some hits that should connect actually miss. This could have been so much better.

Currently, the game only has 9 characters and 2 "?" boxes that are not selectable.

Current charcters are:
Unmasked Sub-Zero
Scorpion
Kitana
Nightwolf
Jax
Sheeva
Sonya
Liu Kang
Stryker

While the new 3d look to the characters is kinda cool, they game just doesn't perform right. As I said, the virtual controls are just way off. There are 2 control styles, a one with a Block, Run, Punch, Kick and Special button... the other is the standard 6 button HP, LP, HK, LK, BL, Run and you can theoretically configure them, but the problem is that they buttons don't always stay where you want them to move to.

One kinda cool thing that's new is that all the characters have a small "intro" before starting the fight...they all do their win pose right before starting the fight.

In terms of bugs, I have already noticed that if you do Scorpion's teleport punch, it can sometimes cause the screen to stop scrolling until you perform another teleport punch which will bring the screen back to focus on the fighters and begin scrolling with them again... it's very disorienting and you can be fighting completely off the screen and have no idea what's going on when this happens.

Overall, if you're looking for UMK3 on the go, stick to the DS version.

I will post pics and a vid later if I have time tonight.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Total MK's detailed review of UMK3 for iPhone

Well, I was seeking a longer video review, I found Total's who I'm sure most of you know has his own MK site, has met Ed Boon, been to E3 etc and posts good reviews, facts about MK that he knows.

Anywho, he goes over some things I haven't seen in other reviews such as acheivements, loading times etc

Props and credit goes to Total MK.

Enjoy :)

MKF30

I had also posted Total MK's review which is the longest out of all of them so far, he covers just about everything lol.

Looks alright.

Graveyard

Superb
Umk3 Iphone impressions.

I have had the opportunity to play the "port" of Ultimate MK3 for a few hours and here is what I have come away with:
1. This is NOT UMK3.
2. This is buggy.
3. This is remastered.
4. THIS IS A TEST

1i: This game is most definitely not umk3, it has lag issues, stages from trillogy, an incomplete cast, a strange panning camera, and new throwaway modes. UMK3iphone (hence known as MKI) is it's own game built in the image of umk3, and trilogy. I say this because it is similar to umk3 in that it has all the characters, moves, combos, fatalities, ect., and similar to trilogy in that it is broken, glitchy, and has the street scene level and music. These points lead to my next section...

2i: This game is REALLY BUGGY. It is almost if the developers released MKI in its beta stages. For example: Scorpions's simple target combo hp,hp,hk,b+hk only connects with the last kick on a few characters (less than half of the cast). Another example is with scorpion's teleport punch, sometimes the camera just glitches through the pan which is just really fucking annoying. I believe this happened most often while fighting Motaro. This list could go on...

3i: This game looks good...kinda. If I were to compliment the developers on anything in MKI it would be the backgrounds, because they look GOOD. The animated stages like the street level are really a sight to see; these developers put allot of work into the stages and it payed off. The characters are another thing entirely. To be blunt, the character models are hideous. They lack any emotion or fluidity, they are overexposed, and I think they are a huge slap in the face to the original mocap sprite art. While this may sound bad, I do not believe this will stay. If any one thing were to be fixed in a future project I believe whole heartedly that this would be the thing to be fixed.

4i This game is definitely a proof of concept. I think the purpose of this game is to make something that tests the idea of a remastered MK... This (to me) is the playground for the developer to fine tune things for the up-incoming HD kollection. The decision to release this is the biggest confirmation of the hd remakes I can imagine. With the ability to constantly update the game through Apple's app store, this game will be the basis for all the work done on the HD Kollection's engine.

All of this combined makes me wonder if the HD remakes will actually work however I believe they are currently in the process of being made. Expect these games to be beautiful, and flawed. Lets all hope they are the better of these two options. :bighammer:

Graveyard

Superb
Well, I don't have pics or vids to post, but I can definitely say that, if you are looking for a good UMK3 experience that is portable, look elsewhere.

Currently, the game only has 9 characters and 2 "?" boxes that are not selectable.

Current charcters are:
Unmasked Sub-Zero
Scorpion
Kitana
Nightwolf
Jax
Sheeva
Sonya
Liu Kang
Stryker
I unlocked ermac by beating the game and selecting the right box from kahn's treasures so I assume that the other box is unlockable aswell.

AC1984

Kaballin!
If the HD remake of UMK3 for PS3 is drawn instead of recaptured I wont even bother playing it. That would be beyond a fucking blasphemy....

MKF30

Based on all these reviews ^ I'd say that's an appropriate price lol. My friend has an iphone, I'll give him a dollar to dl it so I can try this see how bad it is lol. Looks kind of fun though...

S-I-C

Brutal-Dedication
I actually went yesterday and bought a iTouch just for this game. It is really fun and very smooth and crisp. The only thing I have noticed that seems a little weird is that fighting Motaro is impossible. His teleport doesn't even look like a teleport. It looks like he just appears in front of you, you have zero warning that it is about to happen and then he punches the fuck outta you about 30 times in a row.