What's new

Ultradavid 20 minute first-look at Geras

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
It's just what happens. It's not a scene versus scene thing. Look at MKX, and all the "other" big FGC players that were playing and competing and pushing content. Then they disappeared and went back to their preferred games. Usually because they find something to complain about or they just lose interest. I love ultradavid. I'm sure he'll make some videos for a couple months, and then stop, and he'll commentate the occasional tournament here and there. But you know deep down that the same thing is gonna happen.
You definitely haven’t been following the scene closely. There are plenty of guys that just want the views, but UltraDavid is an actual fan and participates just like anybody else.

You’d be right if you were talking about several other players/personalities, but UD isn’t one of them. He has genuine enthusiasm for MK and it’s not a temporary situation.

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
I really like UltraDavid. One of my favorite commentators. I'm not sure if he was around for MK9, but I do know that he went in on Injustice 1 and provided a lot of great commentary and breakdowns. And then he stuck around for MKX and Injustice 2 and did a lot of great work. Looking forward to seeing him in MK 11 as well.

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
So are Geras and Kronika elder gods? I don’t remember Shinnok bleeding blue.
So far we've only seen Geras' blood being blue. But at the same time Geras also has weird patterns all over his body, which makes him look like he has been pieced together. So maybe Geras is just Kronikas creation, yet is still powerful enough to a point, where he doesn't seem to be afraid of Raiden, who is a god.

So Kronika might also end up bleeding red, just like Shinnok. And she is very, very likely an Elder God, since regular gods shouldn't really have the power to do what she does... and what she allows Geras to do.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
I'm getting that feeling as well, which is good for those that want to delve into it and learn all there is.

But what the NRS team seems to be good at is making casuals feel like they've accomplished something. So even though they might not know all the technical mechanics behind it they can still pull off some fancy-ish combos and things like x-rays/fatal blows/krushing blows etc.
Agreed, my first NRS game and fighting game was Injustice Gods Among Us. I didn’t know anything about frames and stuff, but I still felt ok cos I could pull off good combos, and just had common sense about punishing certain moves and stuff. I don’t see this game being as accessible, which I’m fine with now it’s my 4th NRS game

stokedAF

casual kahnage
So far we've only seen Geras' blood being blue. But at the same time Geras also has weird patterns all over his body, which makes him look like he has been pieced together. So maybe Geras is just Kronikas creation, yet is still powerful enough to a point, where he doesn't seem to be afraid of Raiden, who is a god.

So Kronika might also end up bleeding red, just like Shinnok. And she is very, very likely an Elder God, since regular gods shouldn't really have the power to do what she does... and what she allows Geras to do.
Makes sense to me.

grogchugger

99 percent sodium free!
I don't know this at all. You for sure don't follow him. For sure there are people that hop in the FOTM but he is not one of them. Just because someone likes other games and don't stream 24/7 MK don't mean they're not invested.
hasn't he also said that Injustice 2 is one of his favorite fighting games too? dude's not a fair-weather NRS fan and it's obvious

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
You definitely haven’t been following the scene closely. There are plenty of guys that just want the views, but UltraDavid is an actual fan and participates just like anybody else.

You’d be right if you were talking about several other players/personalities, but UD isn’t one of them. He has genuine enthusiasm for MK and it’s not a temporary situation.
Trust me man I know UltraDavid. I love what he does for the FGC, I love his excitement when a new MK or Injustice comes out. I love that occasionally he'll show up to commentate. But has he ever been really involved with our scene much past the first few months of a games release other than appearing for commentary sometimes at a tournament he's already at?

I'm not comparing him at all to people who just cover the game for views in the moment. I just think he'll leave like all the others. (maybe i have issues with abandoment. please dont go daddy)

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
I don't know this at all. You for sure don't follow him. For sure there are people that hop in the FOTM but he is not one of them. Just because someone likes other games and don't stream 24/7 MK don't mean they're not invested.
I hope to be surprised, really. I hope MK11 is a great game, with enthusiastic leaders from all parts continuing to give support to it.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Looking at Geras (although I didn't have an opportunity to watch this video fully), NRS are currently at risk of getting kara-cancels right, execution-wise. What did the world come to?

If they will also completely forgo unnecessary extra buttons in strings and some specials (this stuff also looks good so far, although we haven't seen entire roster) and address that Amplify weirdness, I will be completely convinced I'm dreaming and have to be awakened, even though implications of having a dream this long and this realistic are disturbing.

Trust me man I know UltraDavid. I love what he does for the FGC, I love his excitement when a new MK or Injustice comes out. I love that occasionally he'll show up to commentate. But has he ever been really involved with our scene much past the first few months of a games release other than appearing for commentary sometimes at a tournament he's already at?

I'm not comparing him at all to people who just cover the game for views in the moment. I just think he'll leave like all the others. (maybe i have issues with abandoment. please dont go daddy)

Under The Mayo in this instance you are wrong about Ultra David.

If you watch UltraChen TV where they went through some of their favorite fighting games of the year, Ultra David put Injustice 2 as one of his favorite fighting games. It was in the top 5.

He has actively said he didn't want Injustice 2 to die out in tournaments but the community as a whole didn't like Injustice.

He has actively kept up with the game and has said that when it came to patches that NRS did a great job with patching Injustice 2.

He has even passed on commentating Streetfighter 5 at majors sometimes for commentating Injustice 2. He has proven himself as far as I am concerned.

He is one of the only commentators if not the only commentator from Capcom that actually legit likes NRS games and in particular the design of NRS games.

Can I say I really, really like how Geras' blood looks? I'm glad to see Boon & co are not only still doing fighters with unusual blood colors after 20+ years but also other liquids that act as blood for characters who aren't traditionally flesh & blood.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
this game looks complex. It isn't catering to casuals at all.
Sure it does. All casuals care about is fatalities, gore and cool looking moves. Everything that makes a casual player love MK is not only present, but there's more of it than ever.

John Grizzly

Can I say I really, really like how Geras' blood looks? I'm glad to see Boon & co are not only still doing fighters with unusual blood colors after 20+ years but also other liquids that act as blood for characters who aren't traditionally flesh & blood.
My man is powered by pure Cool Blue Powerade.

John Grizzly

He will, as all of them, play for 1 or 2 months, and then stop.
He will always support the game, though. That's more than I can say for a lot of other high profile FGC members who aren't part of the NRS community. There will be your players like F Chimp who claim they are going to body people and then duck out after a week of playing and blame the game, but that's not UltraDavid. He may only put content out briefly, but he will still commentate the game and know what he's talking about while doing so.

He's passionate about fighters and every time MK is brought up on UltraChen TV, both he and James Chen are super respectful when it comes to MK (or Injustice). Having UltraDavid on board is important.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
@John Grizzly
If you press "Reply" on the post you want to reply to, a quote box will pop up in the text box, so you don't have to make several posts after each other.

See, now I go up and press "Reply" on your first post of the three:

Sure it does. All casuals care about is fatalities, gore and cool looking moves. Everything that makes a casual player love MK is not only present, but there's more of it than ever.
And this popped up!
And now I'll press "Reply of your second post:

My man is powered by pure Cool Blue Powerade.
This way I don't need to make double-/triple-posts. ^^

John Grizzly

@John Grizzly
If you press "Reply" on the post you want to reply to, a quote box will pop up in the text box, so you don't have to make several posts after each other.

See, now I go up and press "Reply" on your first post of the three:

And this popped up!
And now I'll press "Reply of your second post:

This way I don't need to make double-/triple-posts. ^^
My bad. I've never been good with remembering to do that.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Woo! Good to see OGs and big names posting on TYM again. Thanks for the awesome video, @UltraDavid

Last edited:

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
haha look at that baby join date. where were you for the first four months of mk9
:( It's true. I was just a baby. I was jumping around like an idiot and not even knowing what a low poke was.

Anyway. I DO appreciate your continued support for these games. Whenever you pop up on a stream commentary, it's a "yes, awesome" moment. My lashing out isn't really at you. Your support and enthusiasm is far more than what comes from others. I guess I'm just sour over seeing others come and leave repeatedly. Sorry to lump you in with them. I shouldn't have. I extend my hand in peace, sir UltraDavid.

:( It's true. I was just a baby. I was jumping around like an idiot and not even knowing what a low poke was.

Anyway. I DO appreciate your continued support for these games. Whenever you pop up on a stream commentary, it's a "yes, awesome" moment. My lashing out isn't really at you. Your support and enthusiasm is far more than what comes from others. I guess I'm just sour over seeing others come and leave repeatedly. Sorry to lump you in with them. I shouldn't have. I extend my hand in peace, sir UltraDavid.
High five, friendo

vapid

cyber warlord
High five, friendo
Watching your kustomization video, it just goes to show how - pun intended - genuinely godlike Rain could look in this game, in terms of all the extra skins and modifiers. They could certainly do some crazy shit with Havik as well... I wonder what his three augmentations would be.

trufenix

bye felicia
Watching your kustomization video, it just goes to show how - pun intended - genuinely godlike Rain could look in this game, in terms of all the extra skins and modifiers. They could certainly do some crazy shit with Havik as well... I wonder what his three augmentations would be.
gj pointing me towards it, I honestly hadn't watched this one of @UltraDavid 's reveal vids.

Holy cow, I didn't realize how much effort NRS put in to putting the info out there. Alienware PCs? Multiple stations? Flash drives? Incredible.

Crap on WB all you want, literally no other shop does this for their games' community.