What's new

Ultra SF4 will have Edition Select

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
MK9 and inj are both 2d games.

whats happening here? They use a different graphics engine but it is still a 2d game. i don't get it!
Technically they are 2D games, but they feel more like 3D games on a 2D plane, the exact opposite of MK4 which feels like a 2D game on a 3D plane.

Hence why when MK9 was new, people insulted it by calling it MKvsDC on a 2D plane, or called it 2D tekken.
It's because of the movement and normals all feel like they are from a 3D game. Long and slow canned strings that come out on wiff. Not to mention things like mids, or overheads that actually lead to combos or launch.

You play KI, see how crisp and fluid that game feels compared to mk9? Go look in the in game frame data for KI, then go look at the frame data for MK9, do you see the huge difference in starting frames and recovery?

I'm not saying MK9 is bad, or they absolutely need to change how it works, but for a lot of people, this isn't what they want out of a 2D MK game.

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
Obviously in tourney play you will be locked into the USF4 version of your character.

I think this is an insanely fun idea for casuals, though. I hope MK10 has something like this.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Technically they are 2D games, but they feel more like 3D games on a 2D plane, the exact opposite of MK4 which feels like a 2D game on a 3D plane.

Hence why when MK9 was new, people insulted it by calling it MKvsDC on a 2D plane, or called it 2D tekken.
It's because of the movement and normals all feel like they are from a 3D game. Long and slow canned strings that come out on wiff. Not to mention things like mids, or overheads that actually lead to combos or launch.

You play KI, see how crisp and fluid that game feels compared to mk9? Go look in the in game frame data for KI, then go look at the frame data for MK9, do you see the huge difference in starting frames and recovery?

I'm not saying MK9 is bad, or they absolutely need to change how it works, but for a lot of people, this isn't what they want out of a 2D MK game.
I love KI. I see the difference. I agree I guess but I have other issues than that. My issues are in the block System and the universal tactics.

Not the frame data and recovery

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I actually agree with Rathalos and gamemk, at least on the fluidity aspect. Recovery frames are significant for all of NRS's post-arcade fighters.

I do like the other things NRS does with their fighters, though. Not many 2D fighters do canned strings, even fewer do strings in combination with cancels, and I feel like NRS actually makes it work for the most part. But yeah, they need to work on the lengthy recoveries and startups. They still are 2D games at heart, and the movement animation lengths generally do reflect that (MK9's jumps were really quick for how slow AA moves were).

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
I actually agree with Rathalos and gamemk, at least on the fluidity aspect. Recovery frames are significant for all of NRS's post-arcade fighters.

I do like the other things NRS does with their fighters, though. Not many 2D fighters do canned strings, even fewer do strings in combination with cancels, and I feel like NRS actually makes it work for the most part. But yeah, they need to work on the lengthy recoveries and startups. They still are 2D games at heart, and the movement animation lengths generally do reflect that (MK9's jumps were really quick for how slow AA moves were).
Awww man, I forgot how slow 7-9 frame jabs were or the lengthy startup of KL's spin. :joker: They gotta work on that. :DOGE

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
My beef with the canned strings is just about them being able to be used on wiff.

I actually like the idea of every character having a set amount of canned strings with different properties, and I enjoy how it works with the NRS combo system overall.

Just make it so they only come out on hit and block.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
My beef with the canned strings is just about them being able to be used on wiff.

I actually like the idea of every character having a set amount of canned strings with different properties, and I enjoy how it works with the NRS combo system overall.

Just make it so they only come out on hit and block.
Yeah, if they basically just made them that way, I wouldn't be upset at it.

Phil, tbh, that is pretty slow for a 2D fighter lol. MK9's jump is really shallow for how comparatively slow MK9's AA options are. The fact that we even AA that stuff as reliably as we do says a lot about MK9's players as a whole lol.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I sincerely hope this becomes tourney legal. If every character gets to play the best version of themselves things will get interesting for the game.

cyke_out

Noob
I sincerely hope this becomes tourney legal. If every character gets to play the best version of themselves things will get interesting for the game.
Or it could completely make some characters, regardless of which version, be totally unplayable in tournaments. While allowing all versions of all characters in play -at least over 100- you'd still only see a very small percantage of them in top play. Ultra could have way more tournament variety than edition select.

However, there is no reason why edition select shouldn't be allowed in endless lobbies.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Or it could completely make some characters, regardless of which version, be totally unplayable in tournaments. While allowing all versions of all characters in play -at least over 100- you'd still only see a very small percantage of them in top play. Ultra could have way more tournament variety than edition select.

However, there is no reason why edition select shouldn't be allowed in endless lobbies.
If you can name characters 5 that would be completely useless with edition select available in this game I'll stop talking. If we include Ultra, every character in the game has a viable versions somewhere down the line. I think the only characters who might be questionable would be like El Fuerte, Cody and Dee Jay...and 2 out of those 3 have still been solid at some point.

cyke_out

Noob
I doubt any version of Dhalsim could compete with AE YUN, Hawk, any version would be destroyed by Vanilla Sagat. where as ultra dhalsim and ultra hawk may have a much better match up in ultra vs their harder opponents.