What's new

TYM Upgrades Support

STORMS

Co-founder
Owner
Administrator
Founder
Hello all,

Looking to make some major changes to TYM soon, but in order to do this we'll need some community support. Our developer team is working on an estimated cost for the changes. Once I have that cost, I plan to put a GoFundMe together in hopes of getting community support to be able to move forward.

I wanted to give everyone a heads up about some potential new items on the horizon!

EDIT: Currently looking for some support for the amount of $524.00. This is only the cost of some backend IT work and some graphic design work. This isn't the cost of the upgrades - that amount should be coming to me soon.

My paypal is [email protected] if anyone is able to send anything my way, I would absolutely appreciate it. I'll list all names of those who contribute unless they wish to be anonymous.

Last edited:

ImpostorOak

Kombatant
Would definitely support this in whatever way I can. TYM has been a part of my life for nearly a decade and a half! Let us know what kind of updates you have in mind!

STORMS

Co-founder
Owner
Administrator
Founder
All,

Very real question here... what would you do if TYM closed?

The reason I ask is due to sustainability. TYM needs love, IT love that will need to be funded and I hope it is. However, if it is not funded/supported by the community, TYM will likely close, possibly permanently. I'm not saying the change will not be supported/funded, but what if it isn't?

I've been giving this a TON of thought this past week. A change is needed, but that change may be the hardest decision I've had to make since opening this forum in 2009.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Lead Moderator
All,

The reason I ask is due to sustainability. TYM needs love, IT love that will need to be funded and I hope it is. However, if it is not funded/supported by the community, TYM will likely close, possibly permanently. I'm not saying the change will not be supported/funded, but what if it isn't?

I've been giving this a TON of thought this past week. A change is needed, but that change may be the hardest decision I've had to make since opening this forum in 2009.
it just sucks because I want the data to be preserved but it is just kind of expected at this point that its not sustainable in its current form.

STORMS

Co-founder
Owner
Administrator
Founder
it just sucks because I want the data to be preserved but it is just kind of expected at this point that its not sustainable in its current form.
I'm right there with you. I've been giving this a ton of thought, plus chatting with Seth, who is our IT guy... AND chatting with @Krayzie who always has ideas. I feel like if there's a way... we'll find it.

However, acceptance (of TYM closing) may or may not be the conclusion.

STORMS

Co-founder
Owner
Administrator
Founder
What happened to that Mr.aquaman guy?
There is history that I've become more aware of since returning to the MK community. Part of that history is RoboCop handing the reigns of TYM over to Mr Aquaman.

Recently, Mr Aquaman and I have been discussing TYM and I offered to take over TYM. Mr Aquaman has a ton going on already, including his work with Kolloseum, among other things, so we have recently made that switch where TYM assets are coming back to me.

I'd like to thank both RoboCop and Mr Aquaman for everything they've done for TYM and the community - keeping the forums up and supporting the site! Heck, not to mention any staff members involved!

EDIT: Rodrigo, thank you for the $5 donation! :)

Tony at Home

Warrior
TYM is too big a part of MK history to fall into disrepair.

I have to ask though, are we on XenForo cloud hosting or self hosting? Self hosting is quite easy nowadays and way cheaper

STORMS

Co-founder
Owner
Administrator
Founder
TYM is too big a part of MK history to fall into disrepair.

I have to ask though, are we on XenForo cloud hosting or self hosting? Self hosting is quite easy nowadays and way cheaper
Hey Tony,

I agree... TYM has deep history and so many memories. TYM was "the place to be" for NRS games years ago.

For hosting, I am currently looking into cheaper options. I've asked our Developers and waiting to hear back. I am looking to make the transition to Discourse forums. I'm also waiting to get those cost estimate for the IT work.

Also, was it you that just donated $50?! THANK YOU, SIR!!! I felt a ray if sunshine looking at that donation - thank you again! BTW if all of this goes well, I do plan on creating a group to be able to recognize all who do contribute to the transition (as long as we can get there!).

Trini_Bwoi

Warrior
All,

Forums are my preferred method for online discussions. I really don't like Twitter and other social media, where you post something and get your instant engagement, but then it gets lots to the ether. Few people are checking your old tweets and even less are replying. But look at what happened here on TYM this week...we're talking Deadly Alliance! A thread from damn near 20 years ago gets a reply, and then it gets bumped to the top of the page so everyone else can see as well. It just makes sense as a way to organize a community and share information.

I don't think this is not some old dinosaur take either, forums are still popular for other things like RealGM for basketball. I'm hoping one day forums make a comeback for MK as well but I understand players need to build their brand and audience and social media is the best place to do that.

I don't have paypal but if you get that gofundme up and running I'll gladly chip in because I don't want to see TYM cloesd.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
There is history that I've become more aware of since returning to the MK community. Part of that history is RoboCop handing the reigns of TYM over to Mr Aquaman.

Recently, Mr Aquaman and I have been discussing TYM and I offered to take over TYM. Mr Aquaman has a ton going on already, including his work with Kolloseum, among other things, so we have recently made that switch where TYM assets are coming back to me.

I'd like to thank both RoboCop and Mr Aquaman for everything they've done for TYM and the community - keeping the forums up and supporting the site! Heck, not to mention any staff members involved!

EDIT: Rodrigo, thank you for the $5 donation! :)
my pleasure to help, Sir ! TYM is a legacy site and classic source for MK competitive scene, so, we, veteran members, we will try to help anyway we could to keep this place working out and contribuing to the MK scene ! :D

STORMS

Co-founder
Owner
Administrator
Founder
Forums are my preferred method for online discussions. I really don't like Twitter and other social media, where you post something and get your instant engagement, but then it gets lots to the ether. Few people are checking your old tweets and even less are replying. But look at what happened here on TYM this week...we're talking Deadly Alliance! A thread from damn near 20 years ago gets a reply, and then it gets bumped to the top of the page so everyone else can see as well. It just makes sense as a way to organize a community and share information.

I don't think this is not some old dinosaur take either, forums are still popular for other things like RealGM for basketball. I'm hoping one day forums make a comeback for MK as well but I understand players need to build their brand and audience and social media is the best place to do that.

I don't have paypal but if you get that gofundme up and running I'll gladly chip in because I don't want to see TYM cloesd.
my pleasure to help, Sir ! TYM is a legacy site and classic source for MK competitive scene, so, we, veteran members, we will try to help anyway we could to keep this place working out and contribuing to the MK scene ! :D
I'm on the go and working currently, but just wanted to say Thank You to both of you quick! I appreciate it! (I'll probably respond again this afternoon/evening )

Thanks!

xenogorgeous

I am old school here, so, Forum format seems better , because it seems more ordered and less chaotic than social medias and social network .... there, you see more casual feeling and less profissional threads, I mean, in forum you have time to put your opinion and analyze each piece of statement, where in X, Tiktok, Discord or whatever, looks like a bunch of people talking frenetic, putting a lot of short opinions that will have not deep or further matter in the next 15 minutes, so ..... MK competitive discussion there looks much more amateur , while here, looks more refined, hehe :laughing:

anyway, whatever happens to TYM, I'm sure Storms know better what is the best for the site, so, let's see what happens ! Whatever your guys decide what is the best, so, we will support :)

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
All,

I’m really not sure what can be done. When Aquaman took over, there was a lot of interest from the community. Especially from players who have left TYM. They all posted a couple times, but that was about it. So I’m really not sure what could be done.

I was going to say maybe make the forums pay to use/read. Like $3 a month or something. As shitty as that is, I’m not too sure what else to do. There’s not all that much you can offer for a monthly subscription that’ll incentivize members to get it unless you lock the content and participation behind a paywall. That said, that could have an adverse effect.

TYM might need to just move to Discord. This was something @Mr Aquaman proposed when he first took over TYM. And most of us were against it. But if you can’t afford to run this forum, it might be the only option. I of course prefer a forum to discord, but I can’t afford to pitch in. Can’t even afford to pitch in $5… I’m hurting pretty bad. With having a shit ton of medical bills myself and my family. Like me having hip replacement surgery that was $110,000, sister having brain surgery, Dad being in the Hospital for 2 weeks because he had internal bleeding around his kidneys (on top of all the other health issues he has), AT&T going on strike which I am a subcontractor for… I am broke. Like more than broke. I’m drowning over here, otherwise I’d be helping as much as I can. But unfortunately I need help myself.

So yeah, even though I’d hate to see TYM go, I understand that it’s hard to justify keeping it alive if it’s costing much more than it makes to where it doesn’t even come close to covering the cost of running the site.

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Instead of some huge thread this will work just fine. I have handed the reigns back over to STORMS who has lead TYM during it's most active days. Seeing him active again has been awesome and the site needs a lot of attention, that I defintely can't give myself right now. TYM is in a tough spot as far as viability from a $ standpoint, but also from an overall interest and activity standpoint. I wanted to make some big changes but the xenforo and systems in place were too much for me to do my way without shutting it down complete and doing something from scratch. Instead of that - I'll be putting more focus into my Kolosseum events which are pulling off my intentions in the first place of growing the global competitive community. I will still be updating competitive things here when I can and helping promote it/whatever comes next!

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Lead Moderator
@STORMS I think transparency is needed with some more of the Backend IT work, I would like to contribute and help out but I am skeptical about the vendor/data operators. In my field, if I were in your shoes, I would consider this site kind of a FUBAR state and would look into clean, fresh avenue with the brand. If there is a way to preserve and look up or even select certain things to preserve like the MK9 frame data threads or even older data threads, that would be secondary to the plan but ultimately new avenues must be visited cause this version of xenforo is defunct/not functional for us.

STORMS

Co-founder
Owner
Administrator
Founder
@STORMS I think transparency is needed with some more of the Backend IT work, I would like to contribute and help out but I am skeptical about the vendor/data operators. In my field, if I were in your shoes, I would consider this site kind of a FUBAR state and would look into clean, fresh avenue with the brand. If there is a way to preserve and look up or even select certain things to preserve like the MK9 frame data threads or even older data threads, that would be secondary to the plan but ultimately new avenues must be visited cause this version of xenforo is defunct/not functional for us.
Mike, basically looking to take TYM through the Discourse route, just like I did with NetherReturn, which will soon end due to regaining control of TYM.

Discourse also has the chat as well as additional Discord integration. That's the upgrade in a nutshell, but there are also other add-ons within Discourse I'm looking to have added.

xenogorgeous

Mike, basically looking to take TYM through the Discourse route, just like I did with NetherReturn, which will soon end due to regaining control of TYM.

Discourse also has the chat as well as additional Discord integration. That's the upgrade in a nutshell, but there are also other add-ons within Discourse I'm looking to have added.

Marlow

Warrior
I’d be sad. I really enjoy posting and learning fighting games in this kind of setting.
But I feel like if TYM is going to survive, it needs to fundamentally change its purpose. It seems like most of the competitive community has moved on to other spaces, content creators are doing their own thing, and the only thing the casual community seems to want to talk about is buffs/nerfs/complaints. Just too few people who care to post in the character forums.
My hope is that TYM can rebrand and become less focused on news/forum discussions and more focused on teaching, coaching, learning, and matchmaking.

xenogorgeous

I’d be sad. I really enjoy posting and learning fighting games in this kind of setting.
But I feel like if TYM is going to survive, it needs to fundamentally change its purpose. It seems like most of the competitive community has moved on to other spaces, content creators are doing their own thing, and the only thing the casual community seems to want to talk about is buffs/nerfs/complaints. Just too few people who care to post in the character forums.
My hope is that TYM can rebrand and become less focused on news/forum discussions and more focused on teaching, coaching, learning, and matchmaking.
anyway .... :p