What's new

TYM Upgrades Support

Eji1700

Kombatant
I'll throw out there that I personally HATE discourse as I feel that it's got none of the advantages of a traditional forum in how it's laid out, and only some of the advantages of social media like twitter (which I also hate).

That said it's not going to stop me from reading/commenting (or donating should you get a gofundme up). I totally understand the issues of tech debt and that my preferred design is just NOT a possible solution these days. Forums isn't my area, but large data is, so I second making sure you're getting up to date/best practices on your solution because it's important for handling costs down the line.

STORMS

Co-founder
Owner
Administrator
Founder
I'll throw out there that I personally HATE discourse as I feel that it's got none of the advantages of a traditional forum in how it's laid out, and only some of the advantages of social media like twitter (which I also hate).

That said it's not going to stop me from reading/commenting (or donating should you get a gofundme up). I totally understand the issues of tech debt and that my preferred design is just NOT a possible solution these days. Forums isn't my area, but large data is, so I second making sure you're getting up to date/best practices on your solution because it's important for handling costs down the line.
Any recommendations? Discourse does have a lot of positives while having the ability to keep forum organization. Plus, we'll have some additional customization.

Eji1700

Kombatant
Any recommendations? Discourse does have a lot of positives while having the ability to keep forum organization. Plus, we'll have some additional customization.
Sadly no hence my resignation to discourse. While I deal in large data professionally, forums and web are a total blindspot for me, and the few times this has come up in the past with other forums it's basically ended with "yeah there's not really another option". Just putting my opinion out there in case someone more experienced than me does have an alternative to recommend.

STORMS

Co-founder
Owner
Administrator
Founder
Sadly no hence my resignation to discourse. While I deal in large data professionally, forums and web are a total blindspot for me, and the few times this has come up in the past with other forums it's basically ended with "yeah there's not really another option". Just putting my opinion out there in case someone more experienced than me does have an alternative to recommend.
Well, believe me... tons of thought going into this. It's not a quick decision... weighing as many options as possible. I appreciate it though!

STORMS

Co-founder
Owner
Administrator
Founder
Or... the idea of just UPGRADING our current software and add-ons... that is also something we could do... lots to think about.

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Discord forums has a lot of what TYM could/would need to migrate to. Then the issue would be preserving and accessing everything here etc. Which I know a lot of people feel strong about. That was one of my original plans with her in the first place to try and get it into the modern age and audience. It's hard to break the hold X has on the community, hell myself included to reach people

STORMS

Co-founder
Owner
Administrator
Founder
Discord forums has a lot of what TYM could/would need to migrate to. Then the issue would be preserving and accessing everything here etc. Which I know a lot of people feel strong about. That was one of my original plans with her in the first place to try and get it into the modern age and audience. It's hard to break the hold X has on the community, hell myself included to reach people
Discourse has a lot of "chat" capability, plus Discord integration...

At the same time, I question if updating our current platform and the add-ons we have is the better path for now.. especially from a cost standpoint.

If we updated the add-ons like the streams add-on and media library, content creators could push their content here more... just some thoughts..

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Discourse has a lot of "chat" capability, plus Discord integration...

At the same time, I question if updating our current platform and the add-ons we have is the better path for now.. especially from a cost standpoint.

If we updated the add-ons like the streams add-on and media library, content creators could push their content here more... just some thoughts..
Twitch integration would 100% need to come back. I really enjoy the x integration on here too, but a minor update to make x and twitter linked both work would be a nice quality of life to make video shares a bit easier. A constant flow of front page articles as well which is hard to solo, we would need a group effort from everyone there to create and share. I myself suffer from not making some character threads on the ones I play and need to, Rain players are SO BORING. There is a whole world of things people don't have the stones to use. Updating event threads too, but TO's need to step up there imo if we can't have dedicated folks writing articles

STORMS

Co-founder
Owner
Administrator
Founder
Twitch integration would 100% need to come back. I really enjoy the x integration on here too, but a minor update to make x and twitter linked both work would be a nice quality of life to make video shares a bit easier. A constant flow of front page articles as well which is hard to solo, we would need a group effort from everyone there to create and share. I myself suffer from not making some character threads on the ones I play and need to, Rain players are SO BORING. There is a whole world of things people don't have the stones to use. Updating event threads too, but TO's need to step up there imo if we can't have dedicated folks writing articles
We would have streams on the right side of the forums, plus we would have an actual Streams tab for all games and channels that are live. The Media tab is an easy place for any content creator to dump a video to share. Plus, it's easy for people on the forums to comment on the videos without leaving the forum.

The more I think about it... updating our forum software and the add-ons we currently have may be the way to go. Plus like I mentioned... it would be a lot cheaper than converting forum software... that's a very dramatic, extensive change.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
@STORMS I think transparency is needed with some more of the Backend IT work, I would like to contribute and help out but I am skeptical about the vendor/data operators. In my field, if I were in your shoes, I would consider this site kind of a FUBAR state and would look into clean, fresh avenue with the brand. If there is a way to preserve and look up or even select certain things to preserve like the MK9 frame data threads or even older data threads, that would be secondary to the plan but ultimately new avenues must be visited cause this version of xenforo is defunct/not functional for us.
I feel similar to this. I'm lucky enough to be in a situation where I can help out financially and definitely would, but would wanna know what the plan and use was prior to make sure I thought it makes sense. Like are we moving things, or creating new, or going Discord, etc etc. But I guess it's not all decided yet either way.

STORMS

Co-founder
Owner
Administrator
Founder
I feel similar to this. I'm lucky enough to be in a situation where I can help out financially and definitely would, but would wanna know what the plan and use was prior to make sure I thought it makes sense. Like are we moving things, or creating new, or going Discord, etc etc. But I guess it's not all decided yet either way.
Perhaps I'll make a poll. I already sent another note to our Dev team about the route of just doing upgrades on our current platform. At the end of the day, if the add-ons we currently had were just updated, it may provide a greater platform for the community than switching forum software where one of the greatest features would be a live Discord-like chat.

If our add-ons were updated we would have a Media library where content creators may feel it useful or beneficial to post their videos here, plus we could showcase live streams ( as they're live). We would not have that with switching to Discourse. Perhaps I'll make a poll...

ImpostorOak

Kombatant
@RoboCop @Mr Aquaman @STORMS

It'd be funnier if it wasn't so damn accurate.

Someone send me some plans that the members that use this site regularly would care about. I dont think we care about a live chat feed. I'm willing to help, but not blindly. I'm gonna spend tomorrow looking into what exactly it costs to keep a website up and running.

Things that would be attractive to my wallet, more focus on organizing tournaments/online events, sections for learning/coaching, better mobile experience, an app, increased staff presence, personal pages beyond status updates(basically make a FGC social media), I'll add more if they come to me.

Essentially TYM is fine the way it is for me, most of what I'd want to get from this site involves gameplay discussion and matchmaking. I'm here to learn and get better. I can do that in this format, it's the activity that's trash.

This site needs to be reintroduced to the public and advertised somehow as the place for dedicated FGC players. We need to be talked about, shown, and lauded on MrAquas streams and videos. Same for all the other content creators that use this site.

What I think TYM needs would need to be addressed, or I'd need to be convinced, but I could help. After learning some of the lore on the sites ownership changing hands I'm less gung-ho about it, but this site still means a fair amount to me.

STORMS

Co-founder
Owner
Administrator
Founder
@RoboCop @Mr Aquaman @STORMS

View attachment 21957

It'd be funnier if it wasn't so damn accurate.

Someone send me some plans that the members that use this site regularly would care about. I dont think we care about a live chat feed. I'm willing to help, but not blindly. I'm gonna spend tomorrow looking into what exactly it costs to keep a website up and running.

Things that would be attractive to my wallet, more focus on organizing tournaments/online events, sections for learning/coaching, better mobile experience, an app, increased staff presence, personal pages beyond status updates(basically make a FGC social media), I'll add more if they come to me.

Essentially TYM is fine the way it is for me, most of what I'd want to get from this site involves gameplay discussion and matchmaking. I'm here to learn and get better. I can do that in this format, it's the activity that's trash.

This site needs to be reintroduced to the public and advertised somehow as the place for dedicated FGC players. We need to be talked about, shown, and lauded on MrAquas streams and videos. Same for all the other content creators that use this site.

What I think TYM needs would need to be addressed, or I'd need to be convinced, but I could help. After learning some of the lore on the sites ownership changing hands I'm less gung-ho about it, but this site still means a fair amount to me.
Obviously more to it than that. I've also said multiple times that I'm still waiting on an estimate for the cost of those changes, but even then, it's not guaranteed they'll happen. I've been giving all of this a ton of thought the last week. I'm getting to the point where I feel upgrading what we currently have is the way to go.

@Mr Aquaman and I have been chatting about a few ideas as well, so there is work being done in effort to "course correct" TYM.

And @ImpostorOak I very much appreciate your comment on how much TYM means to you... thank you.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Hello all,

Looking to make some major changes to TYM soon, but in order to do this we'll need some community support. Our developer team is working on an estimated cost for the changes. Once I have that cost, I plan to put a GoFundMe together in hopes of getting community support to be able to move forward.

I wanted to give everyone a heads up about some potential new items on the horizon!

EDIT: Currently looking for some support for the amount of $524.00. This is only the cost of some backend IT work and some graphic design work. This isn't the cost of the upgrades - that amount should be coming to me soon.

My paypal is [email protected] if anyone is able to send anything my way, I would absolutely appreciate it. I'll list all names of those who contribute unless they wish to be anonymous.
What a Joy to see you posting back, i though this would never happen, but i'm so glad i was wrong. Welcome Back lord STORMS

If possible i will try to donate my monthly wins on the forum until it reaches its goals, i could've donated more, but 10$ a month it's currently what i can give away without destroying my other project who is underway with my comic book studio

I don't want this site to close, as much as i criticize MK today, and don't even bother to play MK1, the NRS era still holds a special place in my heart the members on it, and Forum while old, i do love data and archives which is something i hate on discord, you cannot check information at your own pace which sucks, if you don't keep up due other matters in life, you lose to the conversation which tends to mix with offtopic a lot and lose sight of important matters.

So for the Dev's sake, who still logs in here to check up on data about their games, i really hope everyone who can afford some even if 3 to 5 dollars could donate a bit to ensure TYM's survives even as a forum.

Also if it's possible to add ideas to the upgrade, i've been asking this since the Robocop era.

We need new Emojiis, at least a way to match the current universal emoji system twitter/FB/ Whatsapp/Youtube/discord on tym for compatibility, and then the ones we already have.

Also, maybe a library like a sort of database for the relevant guides, so we can build a summary of what each character from NRS was, how strong and what their design gameplay wise was, like a sort of wikia with competitive information, i don't care if top players do post or stop posting, but data it's data, and it's those kinds of things that help out new ppl getting started on new games, help devs figure it out what to do without deviating too much from things they already established.

Those are my only two requests which i would like very much to be added on TYM at some point if possible

STORMS

Co-founder
Owner
Administrator
Founder
What a Joy to see you posting back, i though this would never happen, but i'm so glad i was wrong. Welcome Back lord STORMS

If possible i will try to donate my monthly wins on the forum until it reaches its goals, i could've donated more, but 10$ a month it's currently what i can give away without destroying my other project who is underway with my comic book studio

I don't want this site to close, as much as i criticize MK today, and don't even bother to play MK1, the NRS era still holds a special place in my heart the members on it, and Forum while old, i do love data and archives which is something i hate on discord, you cannot check information at your own pace which sucks, if you don't keep up due other matters in life, you lose to the conversation which tends to mix with offtopic a lot and lose sight of important matters.

So for the Dev's sake, who still logs in here to check up on data about their games, i really hope everyone who can afford some even if 3 to 5 dollars could donate a bit to ensure TYM's survives even as a forum.

Also if it's possible to add ideas to the upgrade, i've been asking this since the Robocop era.

We need new Emojiis, at least a way to match the current universal emoji system twitter/FB/ Whatsapp/Youtube/discord on tym for compatibility, and then the ones we already have.

Also, maybe a library like a sort of database for the relevant guides, so we can build a summary of what each character from NRS was, how strong and what their design gameplay wise was, like a sort of wikia with competitive information, i don't care if top players do post or stop posting, but data it's data, and it's those kinds of things that help out new ppl getting started on new games, help devs figure it out what to do without deviating too much from things they already established.

Those are my only two requests which i would like very much to be added on TYM at some point if possible
GREAT TO SEE YOU AGAIN, BROTHER! I'm taking everything you mentioned into consideration. I feel like the emojis would automatically update when we upgrade our current forum software, if that's the route we end up taking, which is starting to feel very real to me.

THANK YOU FOR CONTRIBUTING $10, Eddy! Only give what you can - I greatly appreciate it!

Shock

Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Premium Supporter
If push came to shove, and the site had to be closed, accounts and posts could be migrated to some free, secure, no frills forum software and a super cheap hosting package for posterity and just disable the site. Back up the DB and save it locally, and then if it were ever feasible to bring it back, it could be.

I think if there's a real promise and proof of concept for some kind of big features incentive for Premium Members, stuff we've talked about perhaps, several years of site lifespan could be covered with one push just through that, and then figure out how to give back through future Subs. Transparent, detail explanation of benefits. Just trying to justify the effort in keeping a forum and giving it purpose, because everything can be done elsewhere, however people simply "like" an open presence of communication, even if redundant.

STORMS

Co-founder
Owner
Administrator
Founder
If push came to shove, and the site had to be closed, accounts and posts could be migrated to some free, secure, no frills forum software and a super cheap hosting package for posterity and just disable the site. Back up the DB and save it locally, and then if it were ever feasible to bring it back, it could be.

I think if there's a real promise and proof of concept for some kind of big features incentive for Premium Members, stuff we've talked about perhaps, several years of site lifespan could be covered with one push just through that, and then figure out how to give back through future Subs. Transparent, detail explanation of benefits. Just trying to justify the effort in keeping a forum and giving it purpose, because everything can be done elsewhere, however people simply "like" an open presence of communication, even if redundant.
Thank you for the support of $100, brother!!!

I really appreciate it. I've sent our Dev team about 5 emails last night with some thought processes.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Unfortunately, this format does not appeal to new players. Most users on TYM are in their late 20s or early to mid 30s, which is not representative of the NRS community at large. Think about the last time that you saw a younger player register and stick around.

Ignoring the fact that Mortal Kombat 1 has failed as a competitive fighting game, upon which a website like this one is built, a modern format for a modern NRS fighting game could nonetheless prove prosperous.

As I have stated before, TYM is a relic. I have had a plethora of fond memories on here since 2006. I would hate if the website were permanently closed. However, modernizing this obsolete format is a necessity at this point.

MRIGOTBASS

Hey Tony,

I agree... TYM has deep history and so many memories. TYM was "the place to be" for NRS games years ago.
Well from what I was told Tim Static deleted the GGS thread for UMK3 on purpose over some Moderation moves or something. That was our games entire history, I know a lot of people was really disapointed the entire history of UMK3 like over a decade of GGS got taken out over rage. It would be amazing somehow if you have a backup of that thread buried somewhere.

STORMS

Co-founder
Owner
Administrator
Founder
Well from what I was told Tim Static deleted the GGS thread for UMK3 on purpose over some Moderation moves or something. That was our games entire history, I know a lot of people was really disapointed the entire history of UMK3 like over a decade of GGS got taken out over rage. It would be amazing somehow if you have a backup of that thread buried somewhere.
Tim would not have done that. The only way that thread could be recovered in any capacity is from an older backup file...

Juxtapose

Warrior
Very real question here... what would you do if TYM closed?
In truth, I expect things would either move to Discord, or I'd continue to lurk on the official Mortal Kombat Channel there.

Having said that, old-man-me prefers classic forums like this, but they're all going to Discord instead now. I don't like Discord but it's what's the kids like, and they're the main customers for games right now.

Juxtapose

Warrior
I of course prefer a forum to discord, but I can’t afford to pitch in. Can’t even afford to pitch in $5… I’m hurting pretty bad. With having a shit ton of medical bills myself and my family. Like me having hip replacement surgery that was $110,000, sister having brain surgery, Dad being in the Hospital for 2 weeks because he had internal bleeding around his kidneys (on top of all the other health issues he has), AT&T going on strike which I am a subcontractor for… I am broke. Like more than broke. I’m drowning over here, otherwise I’d be helping as much as I can. But unfortunately I need help myself.
I'm am so very sorry to read the above. I do hope things turn around for yourself and your family.

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
Very real question here... what would you do if TYM closed?
As someone who's been through something similar twice with MKU (2017 & 2019), each time that happened I went to TYM.

What I like about forum format, even though it's a dying format in terms of fighting game communities (not many of the big FGC forums are still around) but a lot of players from my era (2004-2019) some whom I've played & some that I respect as a player are still here.

I would miss TYM as it's the last of the great MK forums when all the others are either dead, infested with bots or MKO (hawk tua on the ground) but honestly I wouldn't miss it like MKU as I put my blood, sweat & tears into it as member of the staff, a leader of the clan community (2013-2019) & just as an active member. Also I hated TYM during its heyday for a myraid of reasons, on my original account all I did was do the clan business that had to be done here, talk to Shazzy & TopTierHarley, socialize & try to put some input into some threads before getting yelled at by some simp who couldn't beat me in a set before going back to MKU. I actually like TYM more now as the main insufferable & egomanical assholes & certain members of staff are gone.

Like, I've been going to MK forums since I was 10 years-old (almost 29 now) starting with JTF's sites but honestly, I didn't really give a shit when they got closed as I just lurked & was a sponge for learning but MKU hurt a lot as I put hours upon hours into it trying to make it the best I could make it by archiving it's history, organizing everything, making fun threads like giving detailed descriptions & reviews of little known fighting games like the Power Instinct series as a fighting game historian it was great fun (Fuck DarkTrax btw, I would have saved it if I knew he was going to shut it down again) & had a fun blog using that function that a lot of people looked at & commented on. I loved MKU because from 2014-2017 I put a lot of blood sweat in tears into it & sure it had it had it's problems but I loved it.

STORMS

Co-founder
Owner
Administrator
Founder
Thank you @Krayzie for a $100 donation!!! Thank you, brother!!!

We're at $365.00 donated so far - THANK YOU!

Rodrigo - $5
Tony at home - $50
Eddy Wang - $10
Shock - $100
"Anonymous" - $100
Krayzie - $100

@Krayzie @Shock @Tony at Home @Mikemetroid @Juggs @CrimsonShadow @Mr Aquaman

I'm hoping to get the estimate for the upgrade/transition soon! It's something that TYM Leadership have been discussing heavily.