What's new

TYM tips for a first-time homeowner?

aj1701

Noob
Me and my wife just bought our first home too. Some really good tips on here

aj1701 My apt burned down last year, some idiot next to our building left their BBQ on and our entire building went up in flames at 5am. Me my wife and daughter (she was 6 months at the time) barely got out, really scary shit
Fick man, I feel for you. Fire is terrifying.

aj1701

Noob
Skkra also, before closing check with the city and ensure there are no taxes owed or permits not properly closed out, as you may become responsible for them.

Also, be sure you get any permits needed for redoing the kitchen or other work and don't rely on contractors to know what you need or to get it for you.

In another town in this state, a guy put a third floor on his house without getting the proper permits. The town found out after the project was done and forced him to pay to have the floor removed and put back to how it was. He tried to fight it in court and lost. GET THOSE PERMITS!

check basement drainage system whether its sump pump or french drain or whatever make sure everything is in working order.

check for termite damage.

check for signs of mold specifically in bathrooms.

check all fire alarms / co2 alarms / make sure you have fire extinguishers.

check for bad wiring (most common symptoms are flickering lights or new bulbs burning out quickly).

there are test kits of all of these things at hardware stores.

wouldn't this be something you check before purchasing a house or be listed on the deed so you know exactly what you're getting?

aj1701

Noob
wouldn't this be something you check before purchasing a house or be listed on the deed so you know exactly what you're getting?
He hasn't closed yet so there is still time. Sometimes you to need forward and take care of this during closing as waiting means someone else can get the property.

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
Don't try to keep up with your neighbors or you will get buried. I've seen it numerous times and I've heard stories through residency of Nurses and even Doctors losing their homes because of trying to keep up with the joneses.

Good luck man.