What's new

TYM this is much needed...health campaign 2015 #gympic

Will you join the TYM Health Campaign 2015 #gympic ?

• Yes!

• No!

• Another thread from Fly? Good god please just stop this is stupid. "Sorry guys I am bored"

Results are only viewable after voting.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
So I did a quick google search and I found over a dozen articles that link gaming to obesity. Its a real problem and with the most anticipated game of our lives coming out, I think its time to say something.

Resources in case you don't believe me:
http://www.nationalobesityforum.org.uk/component/content/article/1-nof-in-the-media/338-tvvideo-games-and-child-obesity.html

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/health/2012/11/12/TV-video-games-linked-to-obesity/stories/201211120171

http://www.livestrong.com/article/376383-obesity-in-children-video-games/

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/05/110517151253.htm

Now that we are all on the same page listen up. My nightly routine when I would play injustice would look like this:

1) Stay up late till wife went to sleep
2) Go grab a beer
3) Turn on Injustice
4) Grab 2-3 more beers
5) Go to bed
6) Wake up with not enough sleep, a mild headache and do it over again 2-3 more times that week.

Do not get me started on tournaments and how our habits get even worse. In exactly 11 days from this post, this whole process with restart and probably amplify. Recently I have taken it upon myself to be healthier and I have the support of a few other TYM members who shall be named soon.

Why am I obsessed with this you ask? Well my education revolves around this. I finished my masters degree in December 2013 in Exercise Physiology and I love gaming. Why not?

Awareness is only half the battle. You have to provide a solution so here is mine. I want to recruit people to buy into this cause by doing 3 simple things

1) Change your avatar to a gym pic or workout pic showing you being active
2) Actually be active at least 2-3 times a week or more (just do it)
3) When you play MK, remember this post and try reaching for something healthier than beer, soda, or cocaine, chips, or small babies.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Are you suggesting we not play MKX as much?
- Hell no thats not what I am suggesting. Get off your ass, do SOMETHING and then go right back to it.

Is it vanity?
- Maybe a little, but I know after watching Rocky V I always find myself motivated to go straight to the gym. Maybe this will help a few people.

Is it silly?
- Absolutely. We always make fun of CDjr but he knows how important it is to exercise regularly.

Do you need to be in shape to do this?
- No way! It is just your way of "buying" in to the cause. When you get in better shape just post a new picture...or post a picture of someone else who is in shape. I don't really care.

How long do we need to do this?
- Just for 11 days till MKX as a minimum. After that keep it or change it to your main if you want.

Do I have to be shirtless?
- Lol good question. No not at all. Just be active, flex, do yoga, eat a salad even.

Lordofthefly:

Now that you know who is in, its time to call out people I want to get involved...hehe

@Decay

@flipkev

@CD jr

@HomeLee1121
I know you have been working out! Come on!

@AK Smarrgasm
You love that chick fil a so much but lets go son!

So Come on TYM, lets do this now before MKX takes our souls.

edit:
@CrimsonShadow can you perhaps move this thread for me to put it in a forum that shows up in the recent posts section? I didn't realize this wouldn't when I posted it.
@STORMS or @Juggs can you guys help me?

Last edited:

Decay

King of the Bill
I'm 100 down for this. I have gotten many fitness questions since entering the competitive scene and I am a huge advocate of staying strong and being a better gamer. You know, reaching goals in fitness is the same intensity you put into reaching goals in a video game... Think of it as hitting the next level.

I'm all for this. I have 8 years without soda and 3 months without red meat Pork. I'm still going to be dedicated to yoga during mkx as hard as that might be grinding and practicing for evo. I encourage everyone from beginners to atheletes, scrawny to buff, whatever to participate. :) noones gonna judge here, and what a better way to promote your health than doing it as a team with your fellow mk family :)

@BROMEO

Last edited:

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
It's a shame that the recent threads section on the homepage shows poop threads like "Who's the prettiest female character" but not threads like this.
Right? I do this thing at work where when I need my CEO to do something, I tell everyone in the office to txt him at the same time. It always works.

If everyone tags @STORMS maybe this thread will get some light.

Or @CrimsonShadow

Or @Juggs

Atriox

Here... I am a god!
Alrighty, I'll join. I was being lazy for too long now, it's time to get back to it! The pic will be a bit old but it's recent enough I think.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
The gym right next to my house was going to open on 04/01. Turns out they aren't going to open until June sometime. But I used to work out, Final Round 2012 is when I was at my peak I guess.

I am looking to get back in that kinda shape real soon.

@AK L0rdoftheFLY
All good bro. Gympic is just the saying but anythjng workout related. Works

Alrighty, I'll join. I was being lazy for too long now, it's time to get back to it! The pic will be a bit old but it's recent enough I think.
Nice!

Who wants to call some people out?

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
I have no current pics but I'll try to get one soon. Been doing the wendler 5/3/1. Slower strength progression but I like it, I'm not in any hurry to compete in anything. While I favor Olympic Lifting more, this has been a nice change of pace.

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
This is a cool thread... Good idea...
I have so much screwed up shit with me not dieing is the best I can do sometimes...
But I do spend about 80% of my game time doing cardio on my bike... They hype makes me pedal faster.. Lol

I'm a runner. 40 miles a week to do a once-a-year marathon.

There's something very comforting about finishing a marathon.

You've run 26 miles. 6 miles ago, your body exceeded the limit of glycogen it can burn based on the sheer amount of kcals the human body can possibly store. Your body has also ceased to produce dopamine- the chemical that gives you that "Adrenaline" rush when you are working out, pushing you to go through- it just wants you to stop. You are literally past both the physical and the psychological limits of what the human body is meant to do... and you still have 6 to go.

Nothing feels better to me than giving the middle finger to the supposed limits of the human body.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I'm a runner. 40 miles a week to do a once-a-year marathon.

There's something very comforting about finishing a marathon.

You've run 26 miles. 6 miles ago, your body exceeded the limit of glycogen it can burn based on the sheer amount of kcals the human body can possibly store. Your body has also ceased to produce dopamine- the chemical that gives you that "Adrenaline" rush when you are working out, pushing you to go through- it just wants you to stop. You are literally past both the physical and the psychological limits of what the human body is meant to do... and you still have 6 to go.

Nothing feels better to me than giving the middle finger to the supposed limits of the human body.
I did a marathon once. I know how you feel. Props for still doing them cause 1 was enough for me. I'm going to shorter triathlons now

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
Nice! Join the cause!
Well 1. Probably is not going to happen...
2.I already do so not an issue
3.I already can't drink beer or soda but are you saying even large babies are out of the question... Thats a tough one...
Otherwise I'm good for it...

imblackjames

Ive seen the leprechaun
I feel like this is going to just going to deteriorate into the guys of tym taking shirtless pics of themselves which would be entertaining and actually helpful (ill say why after)

Thats besides the point though. i think its awesome that youre trying to help the community become more healthy i know a lot of us could use a thread like this (myself included) itll be great for people starting a fitness regimen or trying to get healthier to see what the healthy/in shape/nutritionally smart guys look like and decide what level of health theu want and ask the tym member accordingly for help/tips

This is way longer than i thought it was gonna be but the cliff note is i 100% approve of this. *gym pic selfie pending*