What's new

TYM Recommended and Good Video Games Thread.

Rokinlobster

Nightwolf of the galaxy
Test Your Might, what are your favorite video games? What video games have captivated your soul? Brought you to tears? Mouth watering graphics, epic stories, wonderful game play and GREAT games await!

Bastion - Xbox Live Arcade
Gotham City Impostors- Free to play on PC, also available on Xbox.
The World Ends With You- Nintendo DS
Disgaea Series- Playstation, Nintendo DS
Jak and Daxter- playstation
Ratchet and Clank- Playstation
Harvest Moon - Nintendo
Chrono Trigger- Nintendo
Final Fantasy 1, 3,4,5,7,10. (The rest are good but these are the best ones)
:D

StarcaverX

Bajan to the core!
hmmm
Zelda - Couldn't get enough of it growing up.
Super Adventure Island 1 and 2 - Gameboy and Snes.
Super Ghouls and Ghosts - Snes (The Bane of my existence, crud was difficult as a kid.)
Megaman X series - Damn good series.
Everything MK - Great memories of watching my dad in the arcades so i wanted to carry on his legacy (I either played or own every single one).
Final fantasy 6-X - Something about FF games always got me.

They were others but these I will never forget.

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
Chrono Trigger- Nintendo
This is one game I truly don't get the hype over. Firstly, the game mechanics are brain dead easy, nearly impossible to die in this game. The story is far from captivating as well. I made it as far as the robot city where you're chasing rats, and just said "awwwww fuck this."

Same goes for the Witcher 2, brain dead easy button masher, derivative story. Better off reading a novel, than sitting through this crap.

Games that get a thumbs up from me in the past 25 years.

Baseball Stars - Basic Arcade Style Baseball, no long drawn out simulation crap which is oh so prevalent nowadays
Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball - See Above, fun as hell. Probably best baseball game ever made.
Fire Pro Wrestling Returns - Best wrestling engine, for peeps who followed ECW back in the day. Wrestling Purists take heed.
Day of Defeat - Awesome WWII pc fps from Valve. Craps all over CS, when CS was cool.
Mass Effect Trilogy - Amazing story/world creation. The ending is a "take it or leave it."
Dead Space 1 & 2 - Part 1 brings the scare, part 2 brings the tension.
Bioshock - Ayn Rand is turning in her grave. The sequel had better game play, but felt a little flat.
Dark Souls - All other RPGS fall short of Lord Gwyn's glory.
NFL 2K5 - 7 years later, Madden still fails.
X-COM UFO Defense - Intense strategy game with varying degrees of difficult. Good luck keeping a troop for more than 2 missions.
Final Fantasy Tactics - Great story, solid tactical strategy experience
Suikoden 1 & 2 - Great story, villains, cast. People who fap to Chrono, must have not play Suikoden.
Arkham Asylum/City - Batman ftw
Sleeping Dogs - Wei motherfucking Shen, severely overlooked game.
Limbo - Best ambiance of any game I ever played.

Demon's Crest - SNES
This game is UNDERRATED! It's top 10 quality, but you've probably never heard of it. The gameplay is great, the graphics were great, and the music is great.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
SNES:
-Zombies At My Neighbors
-MegaManX
-Spanky's Quest

Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy - PS2/Xbox/Gamecube (A hidden gem, in my opinion)

Heavy Rain - PS3 (Epic story, captivated my soul)

God of War III - PS3 (Great gameplay and cinematic elements, along with mouth-watering graphics)

(By the way, the cover art for GOWIII looks lazy like the U.S. Congress. Good thing the game is not slothfully made)

Minecraft - PC/XBL Arcade/Mobile (Hella addicting, 'specially on the PC; mods are available and extend life)

The Binding of Isaac - PC (Wonderful gameplay; the religious aspects are very interesting; though it does take a bit of piecing together to make sense of it, the story is quite dark)

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Resident Evil Zero - 6

Metal Gear Solid 1, 3, and 4

Resonance of Fate - This game will test your patience..and your ability to grind using the weird ass battle system.

Valkyria Chronicles - Surprise hit from Sega. Its a shame the sequel got put on psp. The visual style is a much needed break from the greys and browns of realistic games. Combine WWII era weaponry with gameplay sort of like a 3d Shining Force....speaking of...

Shining Force 1&2 - Holy shit are these games long as fuck. And on the sega genesis too. Most impressive. Satisfying TBS RPG.

Shadow of the Colossus - I can see where the appreciation for this game comes from, and its worth playing through once at least, but that's about it. (of course thats my opinion, as some people revere the game as being exceptionally high on their lists)

Final Fantasy XII- Anyone? I understand the annoyance with this game, but as far as the battle system goes I think it was actually better than XIII's. The ability to equip your characters with anything you wanted was a neat touch. I didn't like how the whole political story unfolded, but the battle system imo is actually quite good.

Dark Souls - The RPG of RPG's in a long while for me. This is the only game I play where no matter how much I play it, I will still die. Granted I will die less, but die nonetheless. Tight, focused, completely in control combat and a huge world to explore is a win win in my book. Don't play this game if you aren't willing to discover the lore for yourself, or if you are susceptible to high blood pressure.

Uncharted series - Damn, its not so much the gameplay that gets the recommend, but more so how the characters present and interact throughout that make this worth getting into. Each game is a standalone story, so its not like skipping 2 is going to make you suffer anything in 3. The game is presented with this very movie like quality, but the gameplay is also top notch.

Odin Sphere - This was a surprise for me. Its a 2d sidescrolling action rpg. You play a cast of 4 or 5 character's from different points of view and sides of the story unfolding. Some character's cross paths and fight in certain story arc's and as you complete each character a little more of the story begins to fall into place. The stories aren't back to back, as each character experiences their story at different start and end times for their arcs. I still have not defeated the final boss because its just too damn tedious and I gave up. I'll get back to it eventually though.

Rokinlobster

Nightwolf of the galaxy
You are completely right son ov timmet, chrono trigger was super easy, too easy really. But it was the many endings and story paths that were what made it good to me.

Killphil, if you liked dark souls, you gotta try demons souls too!

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
You are completely right son ov timmet, chrono trigger was super easy, too easy really. But it was the many endings and story paths that were what made it good to me.

Killphil, if you liked dark souls, you gotta try demons souls too!
Way ahead of you. I played the shit out of demon's souls. My friend and I got everything that game had to offer. You need to take the prerequisite before you can take the next class! :)

Test Your Might, what are your favorite video games? What video games have captivated your soul? Brought you to tears? Mouth watering graphics, epic stories, wonderful game play and GREAT games await!

Bastion - Xbox Live Arcade
Gotham City Impostors- Free to play on PC, also available on Xbox.
The World Ends With You- Nintendo DS
Disgaea Series- Playstation, Nintendo DS
Jak and Daxter- playstation
Ratchet and Clank- Playstation
Harvest Moon - Nintendo
Chrono Trigger- Nintendo
Final Fantasy 1, 3,4,5,7,10. (The rest are good but these are the best ones)
final fantasy tactics and 9 are godlike :(

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
FF10
Kid Icarus
Bubble Bobble
Super Mario Bros 1 and 3 (duh)
Street Fighter Turbo
MK 2/Deception/9
Zelda : A link to the past/ Ocarina of time
Civilization 2 and 4
Everquest (in its day)
WOW

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
RPGs - Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 7, Xenogears, Tales of Symphonia, Paper Mario, Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2, Pokemon *Insert color*, and Mass Effect 2.

2D Platformers - Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Super Mario Bros 3, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Super Mario World.

3D Platformers - Banjo Kazooie, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Super Mario 64, Sonic Generations, Sonic Adventure.

Survival Horror - Resident Evil 4, Silent Hill 2, Fatal Frame, Resident Evil REmake

3D Action-Adventure - LoZ: Ocarina of Time, LoZ: Majora's Mask, LoZ: Wind Waker, Okami

2D Action(Platform)-Adventure- Super Metroid, Metroid: Zero Mission, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow

Fighting games - Mortal Kombat 9, Super Smash Bros Melee, and Power Stone

FPS - Goldeneye 007. lol. I don't play FPSes, but I had good times with that classic.

Stealth - Metal Gear Solid, Batman Arkham series.

Open world - GTA IV, Fallout 3, Assassin's Creed II.

Adventure/Visual Novel - Phoenix Wright games.

Puzzle - Shadow of the Colossus (might as well count as one).

Hack n Slash - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition, Bayonetta

Racing - Mario Kart 64, Mario Kart Double Dash

Lets see. These games are the ones I've played

RPG:
FF: Tactics*
FFX
Persona 3/4*
Breath of Fire 3/4
Front Mission 3
Star Ocean 2
Disgaea 1 and 4

Action/Adventure:
Uncharted 2
Ico*
Shadow of the Colossus*
Bayonetta
Devil May Cry 1/3/4*
Vanquish
Metal Gear Solid 1/2/3*
Bastion
Batman: Arkam Asy/City
Mass Effect 2
Shenmue 1-2
Resident Evil 2/4
Omnimusha 1/2/3
Yakuza
Megaman X series
Journey

Puzzle:
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward*
999*
Portal 1/2
Catherine
Shadow of the Colossus*
Ico*

off the top of my head

*=must play imo.

Zero Escape is the best game I played in the past few years.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist

Cabal (NES)
MK 1/2/UMK3/trilogy/ Deception/9
Robocop 1(NES)
Double Dragon 2/3 (NES)
Ninja Gaiden 1/2 (NES)
Shatterhand (NES)
Contra(NES)
Mario World (SNES)

Street Fighter Ex 2 Plus (still better than SSF IV AE 2012)
Resident Evil 1/2/3 (PS1)
Tenchu 1/2/3/4
Shinobido
Shenmue
Samurai Shodown 1/2/5 Special/ Warriors Rage 1/2
The Getaway 1/2
GTA Vice City /San Andreas
Soul Calibur 2
Splinter Cell: Conviction (this game is vicious good)
MGS 1/2/3
MK Mythologies (N64)

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Vib Ribbon
Ico
Shadow of the Colossus
Fahrenheit
Dead Space
Demon Souls
Dark Souls
Limbo