What's new

TYM Kommunity Project: An Open Letter to NRS Concerning Netplay

trufenix

bye felicia
I'm starting to think that whoever runs the online for Killer Instinct is a magic man from mars.

Did the developers for each video game play duck duck goose to decide what team they got to do their netcode? I mean why does Killer Instinct, a less popular game, have flawless netcode, while NRS has had terrible netplay for 3 games?
The answer is simple; Not all fighting games are created equal. They aren't made by the same people, they aren't all made with the same goals in mind. They don't all have the same quality graphics, sound, story, characters, etc. Why would they automatically have the same quality netcode? NRS is good at that other stuff, unfortunately they suck at this.

KI (and others) was built from day one to have unflappable netcode. Literally, day one. They compromised everything else to do that one feature right. That is a compromise NRS (or more likely WB) is yet to sanction.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
Well... We'll never know exactly what the problem is, but we can all agree that MKX Online is garbage.

NetKode, Servers, whatever... cannot explain how me on wired VS a friend on wired with the same [or different] hosts [tested both] can be playing at the same non peek hour times, and get different latency on different sessions. Even within the same hour, like creating new rooms to see if we can get an improved connection.

And... If servers are not a factor. Then why did Ed Boon [I believe nothing he says so this isn't really relevant] say the cause of the issues was due to more people on than they expected. P2P, that should not matter right.

Bottom line... We will never know what's really causing the input lag [sure it's multiple things]. But... NRS/WB know exactly what it is, and exactly how to fix it, but choose not to for [insert theory here]
We do know what causes input lag though. It's the ping/distance between players and the way the developers decided to make the game handle lag. The netcode in this game is the most basic around, it's comparable to the earliest of online fighters that appeared on the original xbox but probably worse. I would say it's about at good as the original kaillera that actually operated through a server unless you used the P2P version which was far superior. So who knows? Maybe they are not using P2P as @GNG Iniquity mentioned. All I know is the online is terrible and is even behind the earliest of online fighters.

Here's what really matters. A good 80% of this site and most casuals think the online is fine so NRS can tell us to go blow ourselves. Delay doesn't matter when you suck but think you're good like most of the random people that play this game.

I definitely sign it, but what I will say is that MKX right at launch (online) was downright horrible...

When I played MK9 (shortly after launch) in Ranked online play, it wasn't bad.

Injustice/PS4 has also operated almost perfectly before April/2015...

trufenix

bye felicia
yes. Ten years ago when the entire industry was still firmly attached to Gears of War's nutsack, Midway bought UE3 to do a next gen reboot of MK and save their shitty failing business; http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/05/mortal-kombat-8-inspired-by-gears-of-war-using-unreal-engine-3/

One year later, WB got involved and "MK8" became MKvDC; http://kotaku.com/5026290/ed-boon-we-scrapped-mortal-kombat-8

Every game since has been based on that engine, albeit obviously improved with every iteration; https://www.unrealengine.com/showcase/mortal-kombat-x-fights-to-the-finish

It's a safe bet that until NRS dumps their Gears of frankenstein engine the netplay will remain inconsistent.

Other UE3 netcode fun facts;
-There is only one other UE3 based fighter (of merit) and that's Guilty Gear Xrd. It's ps3&4 / pc exclusive, but from what I've heard its netplay is pretty good (and cross platform).

-There is one UE3 game with rollback style netplay. A TF2 clone called Monday Night Combat. It used to cost 10 dollars and nobody played it, now its free and nobody plays it.

trufenix

bye felicia
GGXrd is Unreal too. Sorry if that doesn't matter. I really don't understand this stuff. :p
It matters, but the exact reason why its netcode is "better" than MKXs will never be known. Could be because it was only developed for PSN, could be because its cell shaded, could be that Ark programmers are just that much better. Or maybe it isn't better and GG players are just more tolerant.

There's no way to really know.

GOL Eklectic

Surrender, it's over.
Have yAll posted this on the other MK websites where most the casuals go? Like mortalkombatonline.com for example?

Signed....Lets hope they listen.
Even if they did listen and found a way by the grace of God to rework this online, they're just going to mess something else up in the process while claiming they fixed everything. And as a result, might throw in a free "kombat pack".

signing speed is constant, but has significantly decreased shortly. again, to all streamers, famous players and good networkers: if you support this, please advertise it publicly. and everybody who signed, please leave a post here. Goal is still a thousand supporters.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
I signed it but...what are you expecting to have happen here? They know that the online for MKX is bad and either A) It's not an easy fix (or possibly even unfixable) for a variety of reasons. Or B) They don't care (or it's not cost efficient) enough to bother. Either way I wouldn't hold my breath on MKX online improving by much. Best case scenario is that the next NRS game (probably Injustice 2) has better online infrastucture.

Last edited: