What's new

Guide TYM Cyrax Community Guide

Seapeople

This one's for you
The other player can immediately poke, combo or armor after hitting the ground. It has to be a very high anti air net for those resets to work, and even then the other player can escape with armor.

I hardly ever use meterless resets anymore because I started getting blown up for it more often that not.

That sucks. I wonder what happens if Cyrax immediately teleports after throwing the bomb? Isnt there a weird glitch that puts up an invisible barrier for a split second?

NariTuba

disMember
That sucks. I wonder what happens if Cyrax immediately teleports after throwing the bomb? Isnt there a weird glitch that puts up an invisible barrier for a split second?
The barrier works for projectiles and special moves (9 frames of startup then 13 frames of invincibility). It will prevent you from getting hit before you switch sides and will stop special moves as if they were blocked (ie Kabals nomad dash). Unfortunately it will not work in the way you described as they can simply jump out of the situation as you are teleporting. You can be full combo punished.

Plop

Noob
I won't lie to you, Cyrax Community...

You've got the best guide on TYM, right here. It's got anything and everything a potential Cyrax player could possibly need. It's detailed, well thought out, well presented, easy to read, full of essential information and I can't pick out a single fault in it.

Well done. Crackin'

GGA HAN

Galloping Ghost Arcade
Is it just me or just Cyraxs' d1 not work really well as crossup defense? I'm still trying (but failing at the moment) to have anti-air ready to defend crossup attemps. Has anyone explored d1 AA into combos/breaker traps/resets?

Thanks in advance!

TONY-T

Mad scientist
Is it just me or just Cyraxs' d1 not work really well as crossup defense? I'm still trying (but failing at the moment) to have anti-air ready to defend crossup attemps. Has anyone explored d1 AA into combos/breaker traps/resets?

Thanks in advance!
i dont think ive ever used his d+1 as crossup AA. i think Mustard does. i just use his standing jab..

NariTuba

disMember

Thanks in advance!
d1 can work, but it doesnt feel like its one of the best; certainly not as good as Cage which is my other main character.

I always did simple stuff like d1, 12net, b2, 121/bomb. At some point I practiced d1~Exb with Cyblax and got decent with it, it seemed possible to get consistently into cb, d2, b2, 21~net tele 33~ragdoll for about 50+%, or hangin net 50/50 or vortex. Got the idea of using it for anti crossup cos of the Mileena Extele punish. I havent been able to put the time in the lab with it, tho i might. You can also use the standing 4 to mb OTG reset off a d1Exb, I use it with Cyblax from 1~Exb and njp Exb. Ive seen Tony-T do it with a far bomb with robo.

It is technically possible to d1net with robo into full reset, but that input has always been too much of a bitch for me to attempt under pressure (tho ive played cyrax´that had it down 100%).

Its difficult sometimes to realize in the heat of the moment whether the crossup CAN be anti aired with d1 or not. Depends on the angle of the jump. This is why I have followed in the steps of the great Noobe and just shut down the skies with AAt. If you react fast enough it covers all jump angles, either grabbing or going under them into safety.
The game sometimes has issues computing inputs on crossups correctly. It seems you are able to input the reverse command before your character actually turns around. This results in you inputting the command backwards but your character doing the special move still facing forwrard. AAt does fine in this event as well since you just dart out in the opposite direction from the person trying to cross over (Cage does a stupid Exnutpunch facing the worng direction for example)

Basically, I only d1 crossovers when I see an easy opportunity. AAt + bombs = people get nervous.

edit: i found the best input for anti crossover d1~Exb is d+b+1, d+b+4+Blk because a negative edge mistake will result in an AAt ;)

NariTuba

disMember
Some updates added, here's the log:

*12/14/2012 Added Exsaw corner reset by Han, links to Cyblax updated bnbs, and damage info for meterless reset.

*9/29/2012: Added link to info on gaps in Cyrax strings on block in the FRAME DATA section.

*9/25/2012: Added info on F2 in the STRINGS\Upclose Pressure section.

*9/24/2012: General reformat for easier referrence and minor text updates

*9/20/2012: Guide back up to date post TYM site server crash. Shoutous to Essay for making it possible!

*5/29/2012: Added new meterless combos.

*5/4/2012: Added 2 new 3 bar midscreen combos in the COMBOS section. Added info on 334 and f2 setups and followups in the STRINGS section

*4/20/2012: Added info on 3~saw and 3~radgoll in the STRINGS section. Added info on Exragdoll in the SPECIALS section

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
bit of a noob question , does ex aa throw have armour or full armour or wots d story ...sometimes i get hit out of it, sometimes i absorb an attack etc

Seapeople

This one's for you
bit of a noob question , does ex aa throw have armour or full armour or wots d story ...sometimes i get hit out of it, sometimes i absorb an attack etc
I think it just has armor on startup and can't interrupt frame gaps like Sub Zero's 212. I've found it pretty useful for closing the gap against characters like Ermac or Kenshi though.

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
I think it just has armor on startup and can't interrupt frame gaps like Sub Zero's 212. I've found it pretty useful for closing the gap against characters like Ermac or Kenshi though.
i posted this because yesterday i did a random ex aa throw to get in and i absorbed damage from an uppercut i thought dat was pretty weird

Seapeople

This one's for you
So after the second net vortex in the corner, I've noticed that the other player can use d1 which will simultaneously tech the command grab and poke under 12 or 21. If I try to use d4 it will hit them crouching so you get much less advantage. However, they won't be able to poke to escape 334. So my basic mixup after the second net is now...
-Command grab
-33~net if I'm feeling really gutsy
-334 against big hitbox characters
-3~buzzsaw/ex buzzsaw against low hitbox characters since they can duck under the last two hits of 334.

Also I'm not sure if high hitbox characters can poke under 21 after the second net...but hopefully they can't lol.

Seapeople

This one's for you
^Scratch my last post lol, low hitbox characters can't even duck or poke out of 21 after the second net if timed right.

Seapeople

This one's for you
What do you all think about using 4 after a command grab? 4~buzzsaw gives crazy pushback and 4 by itself gives you a little pushback to go into d4 or walk backward, etc.
The classic command grab loop is probably always a better mixup but maybe there's some situational use to this.

Seapeople

This one's for you
I've heard people talk about being able to tech the command grab on reaction. It's only 14 frames which would seem pretty impossible...Does anyone know if this can actually be done?

Vocket

Day 1 Phenomenal Teth-Adam Player
I've heard people talk about being able to tech the command grab on reaction. It's only 14 frames which would seem pretty impossible...Does anyone know if this can actually be done?
If you can fuzzy guard scorpion vortex (F4 17 frame B2 18 frames) then you can tech command grab on reaction. However, it might be possible that you have an extended window to tech so it is more than 14 frames. If they are reacting and mashing just do the 21 string it has a very similar animation to the grab

NariTuba

disMember
I think they can only react if they are looking out for it... if you get repetitive

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion
I'm having trouble hitting d1~net. it keeps negetive edging me into teleport.

Can someone please help me out?
only thing that helps is lots of practice its hard for me too because I've only been playing rax for like 6 months so I'm still getting stuff down. I think when you do the d1 you have to immediatly be pressing back back 3 after its hard but if other rax players can do it we can do it too.

only thing that helps is lots of practice its hard for me too because I've only been playing rax for like 6 months so I'm still getting stuff down. I think when you do the d1 you have to immediatly be pressing back back 3 after its hard but if other rax players can do it we can do it too.
i picked him up about 3 months or so ago and ive been looking at urs and maxter's as a guide lol.

Ive gotten it down in PM. its definatly a challenge.

Seapeople

This one's for you
Does anyone know which characters Cyrax's 2 will whiff against when they're crouch blocking? And the same question for Cyrax's 1, 334, and command grab.

I have a basic idea of who all can avoid these attacks, but if anyone knows the full list it would be extremely helpful.

GGA HAN

Galloping Ghost Arcade
Does anyone know which characters Cyrax's 2 will whiff against when they're crouch blocking? And the same question for Cyrax's 1, 334, and command grab.

I have a basic idea of who all can avoid these attacks, but if anyone knows the full list it would be extremely helpful.
Unfortunately, there are some characters where 2 will connect on crouch block some of the time, but not all of the time (like Mileena), and also 121 will whiff vs crouch block the first hit, sometimes block the second, and most of the time block the third hit (but not always); Command grab randomly whiffs on a crouching Mileena as well.

As a cyrax community, I would think we could split up the moves in question and put together a spreadsheet of this useful information. I'd be down to tackle a decent amount of this myself, any takers to help with this?

The moves in question would be standing 2, 121, command grab, 334 (which hits sail over crouch block, right?), anything else I'm missing?

TIA!

The first and second hit of 12 will whiff against sektor. First hit might whiff on quan as well.

What corner bnb do you guys use? I'm working on a semi corner combo.

jip 21 net, (cross up) jip 21 ex bomb, mid bomb, 123 close bomb, net (reset), reverse b2, (regular) uppercut, 11, 121 net, jik, 33 buzzsaw. 88%

Not the easiest combo, but I figured if I work on it I might be able to get it down consistently. Meterless reset is killing me.