What's new

Tyler Lansdown discusses "Watch Mode" in MkX for streamed online tournaments

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
In the recent twitch stream Tyler Lansdown was answering twitter questions and decided to answer one from long standing MK tournament go'er, 995Phil. He asked "Have you considered a Watch Mode for stream online tournaments?". Tyler Lansdown goes out on a limb and answers bluntly with "... that and several other quality-of-life online things are in the works, and ARE in the game". He even goes on to mention a way to stream your own matches online.

@13:12-13:40

Last edited:

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I hope this means that they've added a Spectator option, because this was one of the biggest things missing from MK9 and IGAU's online experience, and it made every online tournament take 2x as long as it should have due to the need to 'burn' a match against the streamer in KotH.

Montanx

Thats why they call this thing bloodsport, kid.
Very excited for the online plans they have. But honestly I wont be happy until I hear the words "We have worked hard on improving the netcode" or even something like "We realize the netcode in prior games wasnt as good as we'd have liked it to be.".

Noob
In the recent twitch stream Tyler Lansdown was answering twitter questions and decided to answer one from long standing MK tournament go'er, 995Phil. He asked "Have you considered a Watch Mode for stream online tournaments?". Tyler Lansdown goes out on a limb and answers bluntly with "... that and several other quality-of-life online things are in the works, and ARE in the game". He even goes on to mention a way to stream your own matches online.

@13:12-13:40

This brings up a couple of questions. Does Tyler mean that we could spectate tournaments that are going on in game (online)? Does this mean there is a Watch Mode for offline tournaments such as CEO and EVO?
What could this possibly mean for the future of the tournament scene if there was a way for casual Mortal Kombat fans to have the opportunity to readily see offline/online tournaments that are publicized in the game itself?

Games like League of Legends are known for advertising their offline tournaments, and to great success too. We'll have to wait and see if there is more information as the days draw closer to release.
995Phil, I know that guy from somewhere. LOL

What I was asking was particularly geared toward a watch mode in king of the hill or a watch mode for more people to watch online matches. In MK9 and IGAU, there was no option to skip your turn in KOTH without someone beating on the dummy, and there was never a drop in/drop out watch mode that let you see what games were being played and have the option to jump in and just WATCH.

Tyler said that they couldn't say much about it but that they've got something in the works to allow it, or to work around it so that you can watch. I'm looking forward to it.

E

Eldriken

Spectator mode will be a god send for online tournaments and such. I'm pretty confident that it will be in the game and that makes me very, very happy. So, thanks in advance to NRS!

haketh

Noob
https://twitter.com/995Phil/status/560819455488720897
+
"that and several other quality-of-life online things are in the works, and ARE in the game"
=
wtf is the confusion here? or do you guys just want to bicker and argue about anything / everything?
We just want details, I can't think of any other FG that's came out int he past couple years that doesn't have at least the basics of online features laid out for the public to know at this point.

colt

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
We just want details, I can't think of any other FG that's came out int he past couple years that doesn't have at least the basics of online features laid out for the public to know at this point.
like he said, details will come on a later stream and couldn't be discussed further at this point.
tldr; relax

Kevin 7

The bad boy scout
Very excited for the online plans they have. But honestly I wont be happy until I hear the words "We have worked hard on improving the netcode" or even something like "We realize the netcode in prior games wasnt as good as we'd have liked it to be.".
I have to second that. They could add features up to their eyeballs. But unless the Netcode is comparable to Killer Instinct. So for that I keep my fingers crossed.

The feature for spectator in this age of fighting games I feel is just standard.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I seriously hope we're getting what I think we're getting.