What's new

Trying to get into UMK3.

Waffles775

lover of fighting games, especially the old ones
After watching tournament matches I have become very interested in this game. What would be the best way to get into this game? No one in my area plays umk3, so online would be the only way.

nwo

Noob
After watching tournament matches I have become very interested in this game. What would be the best way to get into this game? No one in my area plays umk3, so online would be the only way.
Do you have a decent PC? or own any gaming consoles?

Waffles775

I'll send you a download link for Mame ok, the only thing you should have to do is configure controls.
I keep on getting an error when trying to use my fightstick pro (unable to set absolute mode for joystick 0)

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I keep on getting an error when trying to use my fightstick pro (unable to set absolute mode for joystick 0)
That happens using Xbox sticks I think... do you have a PS3 stick? (or maybe it's the other way around) If not, then you will have to use another version of MAME to play.

Waffles775

That happens using Xbox sticks I think... do you have a PS3 stick? (or maybe it's the other way around) If not, then you will have to use another version of MAME to play.
I only have an xbox 360 stick. Right now I am using MAME ++ .119, what other version would work for playing online w/ Kaillera?

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I only have an xbox 360 stick. Right now I am using MAME ++ .119, what other version would work for playing online w/ Kaillera?
MAME 32k 0.64

The sound is buggy at times, but the game plays just fine. We used it for years online.

Waffles775

MAME 32k 0.64

The sound is buggy at times, but the game plays just fine. We used it for years online.
Okay I have it downloaded and set up and it works fine. Will I be able to play with people that have other versions though?

nwo

Noob
Okay I have it downloaded and set up and it works fine. Will I be able to play with people that have other versions though?
What operating system are you on? I plugged in my wired Xbox360 controller and it worked just fine. Without the Xbox360 to USB driver, the controller was not recognized. Are you pressing the TAB button after starting the game to configure your controls?

Waffles775

What operating system are you on? I plugged in my wired Xbox360 controller and it worked just fine. Without the Xbox360 to USB driver, the controller was not recognized. Are you pressing the TAB button after starting the game to configure your controls?
My 360 pad works fine but when I plug in my stick it gives me "directinput error: unable to set absolute mode for joystick 0)
I tried on two computers, one with Vista, and the other with Windows 7.

nwo

Noob
My 360 pad works fine but when I plug in my stick it gives me "directinput error: unable to set absolute mode for joystick 0)
I tried on two computers, one with Vista, and the other with Windows 7.
When does the error come up? When you load Mame or when you load a game?

What sucks is Mame32k .64 has bad sound and also blocky graphics on Vista and Win7. Maybe it won't bother you though.

Have you used that stick on your PC before, with any other games?

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
Me too, I have always wanted to be good at UMK3 but I find it kinda hard to start setting up the Emus and finding players....

Waffles775

When does the error come up? When you load Mame or when you load a game?

What sucks is Mame32k .64 has bad sound and also blocky graphics on Vista and Win7. Maybe it won't bother you though.

Have you used that stick on your PC before, with any other games?
When I have my stick plugged in and launch any game. I use it frequently with a PSX emulator and FBA, so it has to be a compatibility issue between MAME and my stick.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
You can get MKAK on the 360 or PS3. It has MK1-UMK3.

But, there's a new hacked version coming out called "UMK3:TE". If you are just now starting to learn, I'd advise you to wait until that comes out, which will probably be sometime later this year. It will only be for PC though.

Waffles775

You can get MKAK on the 360 or PS3. It has MK1-UMK3.

But, there's a new hacked version coming out called "UMK3:TE". If you are just now starting to learn, I'd advise you to wait until that comes out, which will probably be sometime later this year. It will only be for PC though.
I heard of that. Is it a ROM hack for UMK3 or is it something different?

nwo

Noob
Is there an UMK3 matchmaking thread?
No, but that doesn't sound like a bad idea...

Maybe there should be a match making thread, where people can post their Skype or Steam accounts and when they are available to play.

Right now I mainly use Skype to set up matches, or every now and then I'll go on Kaillera.

Waffles775

No, but that doesn't sound like a bad idea...

Maybe there should be a match making thread, where people can post their Skype or Steam accounts and when they are available to play.

Right now I mainly use Skype to set up matches, or every now and then I'll go on Kaillera.
The closest thing I have seen to one is the UMK3 GGs Thread which seems fairly active.