What's new

Troubles dealing with the Dash of a reptile

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Punishing is hitting the opponent during their recovery frames before they can even block. B2 is 16f. No punish. You're just interrupting Kitana because she's not blocking when she should be.

And a lot of characters have a lot of leniency when it comes to punishing elbow. It's not as frame perfect as you'd expect. Most characters have at least a 10f jab. If they don't, it's literally like 2f slower at the most.
I dont question your "punish" logic, you are right that its not a defined punish, i was merely saying that comparing a blocked d1 to a blocked dash is probably not the best example.

Another thing to consider is that d1 has little to no block stun so you can pretty much release block as it hits you and punish as soon as you can.

The -15 of reptiles dash is after some visual frames of block stun, so you have a bit more time to notice that you blocked it. Not really a lot more though looking at it...

Crathen

Death is my business
It's all about blockstun , also reptiles dash is easily punishable on a lagless setup and trust me you don't even need that much practice , it's -15 but i'm sure that the blockstun is near / over 15 frames while Kitanas d1 should be like 7 frames ( correct me if i'm wrong ) , so... no need to further add recovery to reptiles dash , if you think so you're probably playing online no offence.

Edit: if you are trying to punish kitanas d1 you are opening for d1 cutter

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Edit: if you are trying to punish kitanas d1 you are opening for d1 cutter

Sort of. If you punish her d+1 with a low poke, like her own d+1, it'll go under the Cutter. Otherwise you have a 13 frame window to interrupt between the d+1 and cutter because a blocked d+1 only has +1 cancel advantage. If you're a Jedi you can actually Cage b+3 or whatever through d+1~cutter. However d+1~cutter will blow them up if they have mistimed their punish. The other danger to trying to punish d+1 is it's push back. If you're late you're whiffing right in front of her.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Sort of. If you punish her d+1 with a low poke, like her own d+1, it'll go under the Cutter. Otherwise you have a 13 frame window to interrupt between the d+1 and cutter because a blocked d+1 only has +1 cancel advantage. If you're a Jedi you can actually Cage b+3 or whatever through d+1~cutter. However d+1~cutter will blow them up if they have mistimed their punish. The other danger to trying to punish d+1 is it's push back. If you're late you're whiffing right in front of her.
D1 cutter makes punishing it with anything worth a threat (even cage b3) harder than is worth attempting, under the heat of a match.

I have only been able to punish d1 with b2 because of its advancing hit box and if the kitana player follows up with another d1 (quite common) or anything that isnt a cancel, the b2 hits.

I dont even try this in a match, my mind would already be too full of fuck to be doing it consistantly.

Crathen

Death is my business
Yeah that's what i was trying to say , in order to interrupt d1 cutter for a full combo ( not talking about the lowpokes in this case ) you have to take into account if your character has a fast enough normal ( 12 frames or faster ) with enough range and know at what blocking range you can interrupt it ( at certain ranges your normals whiff and the tip of the cutter hits you , all of that + being ready to actually react / commit to it wich is effin Jedi if you ask me. You can also try to armor thruough it but there are hardly any fast specials with armor worth the meter and you're still not punishing d1 itself.

As an aside, I've never ever been punished for Down-1 (offline or on) I don't think.

I've mained Reptile since release, have over 6000 matches with him under my belt and I'll say this - this move is so easily abused online. Offline? You'll get blown up for it but the pushback almost negates the -15 online. It should be a guaranteed full combo punish ONLINE as well. I'd genuinely like to see the same recovery as Kabal's nomad dash. Ex should obviously be safe on block.
I agree with this, but I'm not as familiar with the matchup as I'd like to be

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
The last time I played josh99 he was punishing with Jax's f4. I believe 16bit had the problem with xblades' b3 with liu. And I know Rapzilla has been working on interrupting d1 cutter with dash.
Yeah I'm still working on it but getting the hang of it. Whenever I block a d1 or d3 I go for dash. You have to know its coming, or you could easily just go for the easy uppercut punish.

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
The collosal difference between dash and d1 is that d1 can be cancelled into something else. Reptile dash is HELLA easy to punish with most characters. Im sorry but if the argument is to make it so that EVERY character can punish it easy then we can start a list on a million other moves in the game that cant be punished by everyone in the cast.