What's new

Troubles dealing with the Dash of a reptile

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
hya, there is this friend of mine, who keeps reptalian dash everytime he can to, freeze our movements in the game, and this is eventually getting more and more annoying because reptile is his main character.

So far, i only managed to punish him down, everytimes he relies in the force balls, because that is the slowest moments of the reptile, but as soons he realize he doesn't need, we will definately loose.

That BF 2 seems to be safe, and the only way i damage it, is with throw, and he already dash on pruporse to cancel the thrown.

Any easy way to deal with this?

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I'm having some trouble understanding that second paragraph, but I know you're foreign and English isn't your best haha.

Are you asking how to punish his elbow dash? It is not safe, it's -15 on block. I believe every character has a move fast enough to combo punish it.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Yes it is, thanks for that, i will give it a shot, and see what counters that and what not.

Sometimes i'm not sure what the hell i'm typing about hahaha, the colons didn't help the paragraph, i'm glad you understood ^^

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
It's not completely safe online...

this really depends on your connection and if you're looking for it. Otherwise, the stun happens so fast you can't react. Use a move like Rain's 43 kicks to start a punish combo (moves that have good reach so that you know they will connect without you having to move or jump).

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
If you're attempting to punish the Elbow Dash online, you're gonna experience a lot of grief. Granted it's not impossible, because my Sonya is perfectly capable of punishing with 1 1 4 Military Stance b2, but it's much harder with the input delay. Offline, a punish is guaranteed, but you gotta be really quick with it.

What character do you main, may I ask? Because the punishment options for Reptile's Elbow Dash varies depending on who you use. Judging by your avatar, I presume you main Scorpion? If so, try punishing with 2 1 Spear or 1 1 Spear whenever you block the dash.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
As said, it's -15. All characters are capable of at least a jab punish, so definitely use your fastest jab. A lot of uppercuts work as well.

It's kinda hard at first to do on reaction, but you have to play the matchup enough to get a feel for seeing it and punishing it, is all. Online does make it harder as well...which is unfortunate.

THTB

NJP is the worst option, because he can come back and hit you during landing recovery.

Temjiin

www.mkxframedata.com
I won't make any friends by saying this, but I'll say it anyway. Elbow dash should have another 10 frames of recovery added to it on block in my opinion.

I've mained Reptile since release, have over 6000 matches with him under my belt and I'll say this - this move is so easily abused online. Offline? You'll get blown up for it but the pushback almost negates the -15 online. It should be a guaranteed full combo punish ONLINE as well. I'd genuinely like to see the same recovery as Kabal's nomad dash. Ex should obviously be safe on block.

The 6 frame startup makes the dash an excellent punishing tool and the distance he covers makes it a fantastic space closer/jump in evasive tool. However it's a fucking joke when I see a Reptile player dash, it's blocked and then the player is punished with 11% for trying to punish the dash. It happens way too much for my liking.

I hope this nerf happens, it would cause people to rethink how to play the charcter, he's got so many mixups and possibilities but most of the time I lose 22/33/44% of my health every round to a scenario that shouldn't have happened. And I've quit mirrors, I only play Sektor against Reptile players.... the 6 frame jab is not enough to punish him online and it's a fucking joke.

Feel free to flame me but bare in mind I love the character, have mained him since day 1 and would continue to do so if his dash got nerfed. My $0.02.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
I won't make any friends by saying this, but I'll say it anyway. Elbow dash should have another 10 frames of recovery added to it on block in my opinion.

I've mained Reptile since release, have over 6000 matches with him under my belt and I'll say this - this move is so easily abused online. Offline? You'll get blown up for it but the pushback almost negates the -15 online. It should be a guaranteed full combo punish ONLINE as well. I'd genuinely like to see the same recovery as Kabal's nomad dash. Ex should obviously be safe on block.

The 6 frame startup makes the dash an excellent punishing tool and the distance he covers makes it a fantastic space closer/jump in evasive tool. However it's a fucking joke when I see a Reptile player dash, it's blocked and then the player is punished with 11% for trying to punish the dash. It happens way too much for my liking.

I hope this nerf happens, it would cause people to rethink how to play the charcter, he's got so many mixups and possibilities but most of the time I lose 22/33/44% of my health every round to a scenario that shouldn't have happened. And I've quit mirrors, I only play Sektor against Reptile players.... the 6 frame jab is not enough to punish him online and it's a fucking joke.

Feel free to flame me but bare in mind I love the character, have mained him since day 1 and would continue to do so if his dash got nerfed. My $0.02.
DEMANDING NERFS LIKE A BOSS.

On a serious note, its hard to punish offline and online, which makes the move a threat and can be thrown around a bit more recklessly, making you actually have to look for the dash before you can punish it. it doesnt give you a full combo on hit, so the risk/reward for having it at a rediculous recovery would mean that reptile players wouldnt use it in the way it is intended now.

Temjiin

www.mkxframedata.com
It's not based solely on online play, infact it's pretty difficult to punish offline too with some characters.

For the 'offline only' mentality, at least remove the pushback. -15 is kinda pointless if you have to dash to reach them. It should be full combo punish for any character.

This is all irrelevant since it won't happen anyway.

ZtrideRz

Noob
Ok as a pro Lao player what I do is if they dodge close to you then dash in and grab them also its fairly easy to block I personally just control the space with dive kicks. And his dash is stoped by fast projectiles like low hat or kabals spike wheels... Mix in a few of those making him crouch block then dash in and grab. His dash is fairly easy to fuzzy guard his slide whenever you block it counter with combo, only grab him if he dashes into your space trying to intimidate and control your zone.

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
It's not based solely on online play, infact it's pretty difficult to punish offline too.

For the 'offline only' mentality, at least remove the pushback. -15 is kinda pointless if you have to dash to reach them. It should be full combo punish for any character.

This is all irrelevant since it won't happen anyway.

Them adding the random pushback I don't understand either. But as for it being a difficult move to punish, it should be. His entire game is based off this one move, all his setups, his mobility, his poke. But I get punished for it all the time because the VSM dudes don't let you get away with anything and its only made me better.

ZtrideRz

Noob
Also d4 gives you offence advantage. You can dodge in for pressure. Look am going to defend reptile players here ,people saying he needs his dash nerfing are stupid. If you can't take advantage of it on block you need practice.. My brother plays reptile and I never struggle punishing his dash maybe the odd time I miss the select timing but that's my own fault. Cyrax needs the main nerf just for his resets cause there bullshit.

Temjiin

www.mkxframedata.com
LOL no it shouldn't be difficult to punish. Not all of us are VSM skill level. It should be fucking easy to punish, regardless of character and environment.

And to say his whole game revolves around it is absurd, he has 3 projectiles with different speeds (5 if you count EX fbs, these are different speeds too) he has a fantastic mixup game, a great D4 to cancel into anything, invisiblity mind games, rapid meter building, fantastic EX specials... the dash is not his entire game by any means.

I respect your top 16 placing and I'm sure your opinion will get precadent over mine, but I really feel that this move was not intended for free 11%s here and there.

people saying he needs his dash nerfing are stupid.
This sentence is everything wrong with TYM.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
As said, it's -15. All characters are capable of at least a jab punish, so definitely use your fastest jab. A lot of uppercuts work as well.

It's kinda hard at first to do on reaction, but you have to play the matchup enough to get a feel for seeing it and punishing it, is all. Online does make it harder as well...which is unfortunate.
Lets put this in perspective.

Kitanas D1 is -15 right? Who punishes that offline?

rev0lver Osu 16 Bit Howtoread BenGmanUk

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Lets put this in perspective.

Kitanas D1 is -15 right? Who punishes that offline?

rev0lver Osu 16 Bit Howtoread BenGmanUk
Not as much of a good example as you may expect. Kitanas dont d1 then block, nor do they hit confirm a d1 consistantly, so blocking it and punishing with smokes b2 (around 15-16 frames) is easier than you would think, based on the fact that kitana wont be holding block for those couple of extra frames after the d1.

reptiles blocking after a dash meaning that you have to go frame perfect to punish.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
Reptile's dash happens so fast, and add to that the fact he has invisibility setups, I can't see the thing to react to it even when I block it, to be honest. I don't try and punish it online. I just attempt a throw or blockstring, lol. Might be me, which is fair enough, but I've never claimed to have Superman's reactions.

THTB

Not as much of a good example as you may expect. Kitanas dont d1 then block, nor do they hit confirm a d1 consistantly, so blocking it and punishing with smokes b2 (around 15-16 frames) is easier than you would think, based on the fact that kitana wont be holding block for those couple of extra frames after the d1.

reptiles blocking after a dash meaning that you have to go frame perfect to punish.
Punishing is hitting the opponent during their recovery frames before they can even block. B2 is 16f. No punish. You're just interrupting Kitana because she's not blocking when she should be.

And a lot of characters have a lot of leniency when it comes to punishing elbow. It's not as frame perfect as you'd expect. Most characters have at least a 10f jab. If they don't, it's literally like 2f slower at the most.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
The difference between Kitana's d+1 being -15 and Reptile's Dash being -15 is the block stun. d+1 has very little, giving you almost no time to notice you've blocked it and punish. It's not the same thing at all.