What's new

Towers of Time must be the worst game design i saw in decades.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
How can the design of the game mode be the "worst", when it is working exactly as it was explicitly deigned to work --
TO FRUSTRATE PLAYERS INTO BUYING INTO THE GAME'S SURROGATE "TIME KRYSTALS" CURRENCIES, IN ORDER TO BYPASS THE HURDLES PLACED BETWEEN THEM (THE CONSUMER) AND ACCESS TO THEIR CONTENT (WHICH THEY HAVE ALREADY PAID FOR)...?

Love it or, most likely, hate it, it is working precisely as it was intended to work.
I'd prefer this was the case, but it's absolutely not.

You have the choice of 5 random skins/gear/intros/kombat cards a day. You can't spend the Krystals on what you want. It's horseshit. You can choose to pay for the in-game currency, but you can't actually purchase the things you want with it.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I think this is the best single player offering NRS has produced which is saying a lot. In fairness, I haven't gotten that deep into the main gauntlet where I know it's going to get hard as nails. But the normal tower system and the unlocks system keeps me interested and grinding when I'm not in practice or online. The team vs boss towers are awesome. It's a good system and having unlocks you have to work for is how it should be, it's like some people forgot what a game is supposed to be because of microtransactions.

Im still baffled that people buy a fighting game for single player content.
You are baffled at the vast majority of people who have ever purchased a home console fighting game?

Last edited:

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
I think this is the best single player offering NRS has produced which is saying a lot. In fairness, I haven't gotten that deep into the main gauntlet where I know it's going to get hard as nails. But the normal tower system and the unlocks system keeps me interested and grinding when I'm not in practice or online. The team vs boss towers are awesome. It's a good system and having unlocks you have to work for is how it should be, it's like some people forgot what a game is supposed to be because of microtransactions.

You are baffled at the vast majority of people who have ever purchased a home console fighting game?
Yes

You do you champ but that's like being surprised that people buy Pokémon cards without an intention of playing the game. NRS would never be able to make a game as good as MK11 without those millions of single player people.
Interesting comparison: I play Mortal Kombat Mobile mostly to kollect the character cards, not to actually play the game.

MK mobile is a nice action rpg, but gets repetitive quickly...good thing its free!
Yeah, exactly. Sometimes I do fire up Faction War, or play a Challenge Tower for a specific character card, but mostly, I just sent characters on quests to farm souls, and by a character I want from their really limited shop when someone I want comes up.

Resistible

MK fan since '92
I'm not sure if this was stated or not but honestly the ToT wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the modifiers. These should've had no modifiers, increase in difficulty as you progress, and for the tag towers actually allow you to pick your character instead of a preset look and loadout the you can't upgrade your gear.

The Gauntlet should have the same rules; no modifiers and increasing difficulty. Thus giving players a separate option to learn the characters and get better outside of online where you could face an opponent much better than you and spend the entire match only getting one or two hits.

The Character Towers are a brilliant idea, just poorly executed. I would be happy if they continued these instead of the Klassic Towers with each character having a small story attached to them instead of a paragraph at the beginning of each stage which "explains" what's going on.

ToT sucks for the most part and feels as though it was an afterthought of the main product to keep those who don't play online or those who play multiplayer and single player, myself included, invested in their game for a longer time instead of jumping to the next game or falling back to a game they have been playing for a while previously. They did it in the wrong way unfortunately, keep the modifiers out of single player, and utilize them in other modes such as local player vs player or a seperate section in online along with Kasual Match and KOTH.

On a side note, is it really too much to ask for a congratulatory image or video to pop up after you beat all five stages of a Character Tower or the Gauntlet?

Rpgz

Fraudguad/Weeb?
Im going back for DLC chars when Im done. Ive played, and watched my brother play, worse fighters...N64 GODWARS...stahp complainin COMBAT CAST SOON BABY!

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
You do you champ but that's like being surprised that people buy Pokémon cards without an intention of playing the game. NRS would never be able to make a game as good as MK11 without those single player people.
So a nonsense urge to join a fad, waste money, and look like a tool? Everyone explains the what, no one has explained the why. i get that people enjoy it, Im not stupid, I just dont understand why. not everyone wants to be the very best like no one ever was, but surely playing a buddy close to your level is more fun than a fucking computer. Its the absolute nature of the genre, no way similar to other genres. I garuntee this mindset is most prevelant in the MK community due to its popularity and edgelord tendencies. To be transparent, I think you lot grinding vs the ai would be happier playing a hybrid fighter like the souls series.

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
You do you champ but that's like being surprised that people buy Pokémon cards without an intention of playing the game. NRS would never be able to make a game as good as MK11 without those single player people.
Also, I see it more like saying you love to play Tennis, but only against the wall.

... no way similar to other genres.
Incorrect, look at RTSes. StarCraft II being the most successful of modern times, the father of modern eSports, and widely regarded as the hardest game out there for competitive gaming.

It also has a fantastic Campaign, Versus AI, Co-Op Mode, and Custom options to play.

Overall, not everyone wants to play another person for a whole host of reasons. It's obviously not something that would appeal to you, which is totally fine, but it's not something that's difficult to understand.

Different people have different tastes and want different challenges, or lack-there-of, out of their entertainment. Thus, there's different modes and styles for lots of different people.

Enexemander

A Hitbox Pirate - YARRR -
This Cetrion Tag Tower is a nice showcase of everything that's wrong with this system.
  1. Bullshit modifiers. Yeah, I love constant dot damage, being struck by lightning, and freezing every 3 seconds. Great fun.
  2. Does any of this affect the opponent? On no. Of course not.
  3. Can't even use the dumbass consumables to counter this annoyance, because you have a (90% of the time useless) Tag Teammate.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, as I have not played Online yet, but if your playing Ranked or Tournament, all Skins and Gear is randomized at character selection; regardless of what you've unlocked, correct?
I believe so but many people play majority Kasuals for the custom variations + ability to reject laggy opponents. I've personally moved away from ranked for those reasons.

Plus, part of the appeal of cosmetics is to be able to show off your stuff in a multiplayer setting. I can understand the random generation stuff for ACTUAL tournaments where you don't want people spending 5 minutes choosing their skins, but at some point I hope NRS adds the ability to customize the tournament variations cosmetics on your machine (or stay random).

Rpgz

Fraudguad/Weeb?
As long as Multiplayer is included the FGC will be fine...even if scrubs probably gain the most from this...sry.

I believe so but many people play majority Kasuals for the custom variations + ability to reject laggy opponents. I've personally moved away from ranked for those reasons.

Plus, part of the appeal of cosmetics is to be able to show off your stuff in a multiplayer setting. I can understand the random generation stuff for ACTUAL tournaments where you don't want people spending 5 minutes choosing their skins, but at some point I hope NRS adds the ability to customize the tournament variations cosmetics on your machine (or stay random).
Thanks for clarifying!

As long as Multiplayer is included the FGC will be fine...even if scrubs probably gain the most from this...sry.
Again, I like how the game has a multiplayer mode designed for proper, competitive gaming, but also so many other modes for those less competitive or for those who are single player focused.

Since Mortal Kombat (2011), I feel NetherRealms Studios has done a fantastic job catering to a large variety of players.

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
Incorrect, look at RTSes. StarCraft II being the most successful of modern times, the father of modern eSports, and widely regarded as the hardest game out there for competitive gaming.

It also has a fantastic Campaign, Versus AI, Co-Op Mode, and Custom options to play.

Overall, not everyone wants to play another person for a whole host of reasons. It's obviously not something that would appeal to you, which is totally fine, but it's not something that's difficult to understand.

Different people have different tastes and want different challenges, or lack-there-of, out of their entertainment. Thus, there's different modes and styles for lots of different people.
Bro, just ignore me. You have to understand that story modes and sp content have always been extras in fgs. In fact, they used to only have fighting the ai. They werent made for this, the games you list are made to please all players, fighting games only became that way for capitalism . I cant understand paying hard earned money to play the side modes. Explain why it is more fun to play a 1v1 game alone, please.

Rpgz

Fraudguad/Weeb?
After hearing about the grind the devs were under making this game...I cant complain about grind now...I kinda understand that everyone got screwed over in mk11...but they will probably make it better with time.

Bro, just ignore me. You have to understand that story modes and sp content have always been extras in fgs. In fact, they used to only have fighting the ai. They werent made for this, the games you list are made to please all players, fighting games only became that way for capitalism . I cant understand paying hard earned money to play the side modes. Explain why it is more fun to play a 1v1 game alone, please.
Why would I ignore you? I'm not offended by you, nor do I have an issue with you. There's nothing wrong with an honest discussion either.

Assuming the age in your profile is correct, I'm a lot older than you. I was playing Street Fighter II in arcades when it launched, as well as the first Mortal Kombat and its sequels. I was part of the fighting game hype that blew up the '90's when fighting games were the genre, not a niche genre that it is today.

You're 100% incorrect about story modes and SP content being extras, at least in the Mortal Kombat franchise. Some of the coolest secrets were only available in single player towers in arcades. Reptile, the first hidden character not just in the franchise, but the entire genre, was single player only, for example.

I already mentioned in this thread how people would gather around and watch great sets of people, and the crowd woudl be even larger for epic SP battles against bosses and hidden characters. I experienced this first hand, it's fact.

Even back then, lots of people loved the general story, the characters, and the lore. Enough so that a comic book series was launched by the defunct Malibu Comics. A feature film was made based on the game. A live action show was touring around the United States.

The Single Player content of fighting games, especially Mortal Kombat are not and never have been side modes.

As to explaining why it's "more fun," I can't simply because there's no answer I can give you that you'd believe. You don't find it more fun (and there's nothing wrong with that), and based on how you've responded in this thread, you've already made up your mind.

Rpgz

Fraudguad/Weeb?
In DS and BB I can lvl up a char THEN go kill casuals, so personally I find invading and trolling noobs fun...but Im an odd duck lol.

Xentex

Noob
Explain why it is more fun to play a 1v1 game alone, please.
This really isn't even slightly complicated.

The vast majority, by orders of magnitude, of video games are played 1 vs. the computer. Doesn't matter if it's your free Windows Solitaire or Candy Crush or Mortal Kombat 11.

You're seriously asking why people like playing against a computer, where they know they can practice and win, instead of playing 1 v 1, where 95% of people know they're going to get smoked and humiliated more often than not? Often to gimmicky crap that they wouldn't know how to lab out?

The correct perspective is that these are the customers who make games like this possible.

Yes, the grind for skins might be irritating, and NRS might be able to fine tune the path to getting them for the devoted PvP crowd, but that's rarely an easy thing to do when you're trying to toss a bone to the non-core target market. e.g., if it were faster to grind skins through online games than towers, you'd have thousands of afk players with button bots in your online matches, and everyone would hate that even more.