What's new

Towers of Time must be the worst game design i saw in decades.

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
Why would I ignore you? I'm not offended by you, nor do I have an issue with you. There's nothing wrong with an honest discussion either.

Assuming the age in your profile is correct, I'm a lot older than you. I was playing Street Fighter II in arcades when it launched, as well as the first Mortal Kombat and its sequels. I was part of the fighting game hype that blew up the '90's when fighting games were the genre, not a niche genre that it is today.

You're 100% incorrect about story modes and SP content being extras, at least in the Mortal Kombat franchise. Some of the coolest secrets were only available in single player towers in arcades. Reptile, the first hidden character not just in the franchise, but the entire genre, was single player only, for example.

I already mentioned in this thread how people would gather around and watch great sets of people, and the crowd woudl be even larger for epic SP battles against bosses and hidden characters. I experienced this first hand, it's fact.

Even back then, lots of people loved the general story, the characters, and the lore. Enough so that a comic book series was launched by the defunct Malibu Comics. A feature film was made based on the game. A live action show was touring around the United States.

The Single Player content of fighting games, especially Mortal Kombat are not and never have been side modes.

As to explaining why it's "more fun," I can't simply because there's no answer I can give you that you'd believe. You don't find it more fun (and there's nothing wrong with that), and based on how you've responded in this thread, you've already made up your mind.
Well, I can concede that themortal kombat franchise the single player modes are a huge draw, w hat mk copied was street fighter, which owes its start to a game that came with TWO pairs of boxing gloves, Heavyweight Champ, released in the 70's. They are designed, at their core, to be human player vs human player. Literally google the history of fighting games. Your anecdotal youth doesnt mean jack. Our ages are irrelevant. I should know by now not to interact with anyone I dont know on this forum. You all seem to be bent on making some stand against people's half-baked shit post pretendingt to be some scholarly highborn. I, personally, find it odd that people that arent competitive minded, like a competitive game. Fucking sue e. Dont agree? Post your own dumbass witty line of your own thought, not devaluing my perfectly valid opinion. That is why you should have ignored me. I'll apologize in advance if its rude, but fuck homie, Im actually not wrong, you just value the story and whack ass shit because no one was funding big tournaments and you remember watchin the big kids beat the boss guy! People speed run that junk now because it too, was DESIGNED to be played vs a human, therefore you could cheese the fuck outta Shao n Shang.You miss my point. I see yours, but Imnot saying there isnt shit there for sp, Im saying its laughable that youd pay $60 for that gutter filth. Shame on you sir for being a part of the sme market, I assume, that brings us 3 guest characters. Not gonna proof read, ttyl

Rpgz

Fraudguad/Weeb?
Guilty Gear still lets you unlock skins the traditional way btw...but not all games are GG tier..

GG ALSO HAS BETTER MUSIC AND COSTUMES!! INO DLC!?!?! Dizzy?!?!

Well, I can concede that themortal kombat franchise the single player modes are a huge draw, w hat mk copied was street fighter, which owes its start to a game that came with TWO pairs of boxing gloves, Heavyweight Champ, released in the 70's. They are designed, at their core, to be human player vs human player. Literally google the history of fighting games. Your anecdotal youth doesnt mean jack. Our ages are irrelevant. I should know by now not to interact with anyone I dont know on this forum. You all seem to be bent on making some stand against people's half-baked shit post pretendingt to be some scholarly highborn. I, personally, find it odd that people that arent competitive minded, like a competitive game. Fucking sue e. Dont agree? Post your own dumbass witty line of your own thought, not devaluing my perfectly valid opinion. That is why you should have ignored me. I'll apologize in advance if its rude, but fuck homie, Im actually not wrong, you just value the story and whack ass shit because no one was funding big tournaments and you remember watchin the big kids beat the boss guy! People speed run that junk now because it too, was DESIGNED to be played vs a human, therefore you could cheese the fuck outta Shao n Shang.You miss my point. I see yours, but Imnot saying there isnt shit there for sp, Im saying its laughable that youd pay $60 for that gutter filth. Shame on you sir for being a part of the sme market, I assume, that brings us 3 guest characters. Not gonna proof read, ttyl
Wow, perhaps you should ignore me, since you seem to be triggered and bent out of shape over not being able to understand why different people happen to like different game modes.

I'm not sure if "copying" is the right term to apply to Mortal Kombat (1992) and Street Fighter II, but I get what you mean by it. Keep in mind it is indeed a game in the same genre, though quite different mechanically.

I'm also quite familiar with fighting game history. Age is not irrelevant when it comes to experience, far from it, and when you're making definitive statements about something that covers a larger time period, it comes even more into play.

I also find it quite interesting how the younger generation of gamers today, of which you're a part, like to press it's opinion as fact and like to not only ignore, but refute, actual fact in favour of their opinion without being able to disprove the fact that they're ignoring. You do not do yourself any credit by doing so.

For my part, I'm not making half-baked posts or pretending anything. I'm telling you what is, you're simply refusing to acknowledge the truth staring you in the face. Why you're doing so is on you. You've also been unable to actual refute anything I've brought to the table, instead reducing to ad-hominims which prove my point, not yours.

I've also said it's absolutely okay for you (and anyone) to value the multiplayer component of a game more than the single player component. The wonderful thing about most video games, despite your unwillingness to accept it, is that they're designed with a variety of modes for a variety of people to play and enjoy.

Shame on me? I actually do play Multiplayer as well as Single Player, though I haven't tackled Multiplayer in this game yet. So it seems, once again, that your opinion doesn't line up with the facts.

Xentex

Noob
Im not saying there isnt shit there for [single player], Im saying its laughable that youd pay $60 for that gutter filth. Shame on you sir for being a part of the same market, I assume, that brings us 3 guest characters.
For the average player, the online experience against strangers is very easily the least enjoyable part of the game by a mile. Which is why the majority of players never do it.

How do you feel about the kids who look for one broken character with one broken string they can spam over and over and over again online, and then teabag 12 year old strangers until they ragequit? Like, is that your thing? Or is that the kind of thing you look down on?

Or is your thing playing online to prepare for tournaments? Were you at Combo Breaker? How'd you place?

I think it's obvious those two groups of people enjoy very different things about the game. Their overlap is that they both play 100x more than any normal player, and they both do it almost exclusively online. That means those are the players the "normal" players are going to run into when they jump into online matches with strangers.

And you're seriously having trouble understanding why the vast majority of people that buy MK 11 aren't buying it for online 1 v 1 with strangers...

KCJ506

Noob
I always find it funny when people declare that it's "primarily a multiplayer game," when it's actually not. What they should be saying is "I value the multiplayer component of the game more than anything else."
Yeah, not everyone is an online warrior and not everyone has friends that also play games and can invite over to play. Some people may also be just interested in playing the game casually. Having single player content doesn't prevent people from playing with other. It never did. Removing it however limits a person's options for play when they do want to go solo.

Focusing primarily on multilplayer is pretty much the main reason Street Fighter 5 struggled with sales at launch.

Yeah, not everyone is an online warrior and not everyone has friends that also play games and can invite over to play. Some people may also be just interested in playing the game casually. Having single player content doesn't prevent people from playing with other. It never did. Removing it however limits a person's options for play when they do want to go solo.

Focusing primarily on multilplayer is pretty much the main reason Street Fighter 5 struggled with sales at launch.
I had forgotten about that with Street Fighter V at launch; you're quite correct.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
After a month here's my verdict: ToTs are boring, grindy useless waste of time. I want to unlock everything for a character but don't want to spend 30 hours doing so. They need to fix BS requirements for character towers, why have them anyways? It's so useless.