What's new

*TOURNEY SEASON 3 - TEAM BATTLES* TYM League (PSN)

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
Wait... How does the timing work for the losers rounds? When do those get played? I’m looking at the schedule and the brackets, trying to make it all make sense. I never really followed a full tournament before.
The round AND it's loser round have to be played by the deadline. So for example that means Round 1 winner AND loser brackets must be played through 100%, or any unplayed are DQ's for players that don't check in at all.

We are just going to play through as many matches as we can, as early as we can. This will prevent a lot of dawdling and missed time for matches, especially the loser's brackets.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
Bro why? I've been bodied in all but a couple of my matches and the ones I didn't get bodied in I only took one game out of three.
But because of the higher level competition causing me to think more and play differently my skill and success against the typical online KL player has increased a ton. I win 8 of 10 KL or ranked sets now as opposed to being pretty much 50/50 before. Simply from playing in this league and applying the lessons learned.
If your goal is to improve and stretch your abilities.... you have nothing to lose by playing in this league.
That's not been my experience. I've learnt best playing Kasual Kompetitive with long sets against people who stick with me despite beating me and aren't put off by me losing. Usually I'll have a flash of competence and take some games off of them eventually and it feels more like progression.

I also have not really been playing this game long at all. Like I think I have about 300 Kasual Kompetitive games and about 250 ish ranked.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Hey you guys said to report discrepancies, lol.

But I guess I’m just not seeing it. Week 1 tab says 6 matches won, week 2 tab says 5 matches won, yet rankings tab says 13 matches won... but 5+6=11, not 13. Then add the 2 set wins, making it 13 points total, not 15. Right?

Where do the extra points come from? What am I missing here? Lol. Am I not understanding the points system correctly?

I’ll leave the rest to you!

I’m just trying to be fair, lol. I know I won’t make it no matter who I face :D

When do you wanna play??
Any day before the deadline is fine with me lol

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
The round AND it's loser round have to be played by the deadline. So for example that means Round 1 winner AND loser brackets must be played through 100%, or any unplayed are DQ's for players that don't check in at all.

We are just going to play through as many matches as we can, as early as we can. This will prevent a lot of dawdling and missed time for matches, especially the loser's brackets.
Okay that’s what I initially thought. But what made me question it is when a round 2 loser goes to a round 1 loser seed... which would already be past the deadline. For example when I lose to Reed (which is round 2), I’ll be in Round 1 of losers.

Nuez

Noob
A few players have gracefully bowed out for the tourney or the rest of the league. Thank you for letting me know in advance so it doesn't hold up the tourney this week. I'm definitely sad to hear it because there are couple very good players that we won't have compete in this, but there will be a league tourney every month so it's okay!

I have also removed @Shanedawg1995 and @Nuez from the league for no show.

I will roll out final tourney bracket and schedule shortly. STARTS TODAY!
Sorry everybody. The last three days I was attending Defend the North in NY. Trying to get some offline MK11 experience. I was in contact with folks from my group and managed to play a couple of matches. Unfortunately, I didn't get to finish my matches from my group because our schedules didn't coincide much during the week. Although I tried. However, I never "no-showed" on any matches. Can I just be let back in? My week 1 matches were pretty much complete...

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
Okay that’s what I initially thought. But what made me question it is when a round 2 loser goes to a round 1 loser seed... which would already be past the deadline. For example when I lose to Reed (which is round 2), I’ll be in Round 1 of losers.
It'll work out. I'm guessing a majority of these matches will be played early in the first couple rounds which will open up loser bracket matchups and knowing who you play that much sooner. That being said, if you're stuck in a bracket and two people have yet to play, extensions will be given when players have no control over it. I won't DQ someone if they don't know who their opponent is yet. Lol
Sorry everybody. The last three days I was attending Defend the North in NY. Trying to get some offline MK11 experience. I was in contact with folks from my group and managed to play a couple of matches. Unfortunately, I didn't get to finish my matches from my group because our schedules didn't coincide much during the week. Although I tried. However, I never "no-showed" on any matches. Can I just be let back in? My week 1 matches were pretty much complete...
Yes. If anything, I should have removed a few from the Orange Group since they only played one match... I will go ahead and sub you in for @Saboteur-6 since I already started the tourney in Challonge and can't add anyone new without restarting the whole thing again.

So you will start in the loser's bracket in order for that to work. Are you good with that sir?

edit: And I don't mean any offense by that at all, I just would have no other way to do it. I apologize for the inconvenience.

xKMMx

Banned
That's not been my experience. I've learnt best playing Kasual Kompetitive with long sets against people who stick with me despite beating me and aren't put off by me losing. Usually I'll have a flash of competence and take some games off of them eventually and it feels more like progression.

I also have not really been playing this game long at all. Like I think I have about 300 Kasual Kompetitive games and about 250 ish ranked.
I can see that . There is something to be said for playing against people in your skill level.
No one really learns much if they are only getting bodied and frustrated without any positive feedback or constructive criticism coming out of it.
However, you wont push past a certain point without that higher level competition pushing you .
My theory is that we all need 3 different levels of opponents.

Level 1: People we can beat because we are better than them. There isn't much to learn here... but it is a gauge of where we are.

Level 2: People that are on our same level. These people can be great for sparring and keep us engaged without frustration from losing because we know if we played them better in that loss we could have won.

Level 3: People that are waaaaay better than us. These people can teach us and stretch our abilities to new levels by showing us what it looks like to play the game on a higher level. The more you play these people and ask for and apply their advice the better you will be against them, After time with them you will need better and better level 2 opponents to keep you challenged.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
I can see that . There is something to be said for playing against people in your skill level.
No one really learns much if they are only getting bodied and frustrated without any positive feedback or constructive criticism coming out of it.
However, you wont push past a certain point without that higher level competition pushing you .

Level 1: People we can beat because we are better than them. There isn't much to learn here... but it is a gauge of where we are.

Level 2: People that are on our same level. These people can be great for sparring and keep us engaged without frustration from losing because we know if we played them better in that loss we could have won.

Level 3: People that are waaaaay better than us. These people can teach us and stretch our abilities to new levels by showing us what it looks like to play the game on a higher level. The more you play these people and ask for and apply their advice the better you will be against them, After time with them you will need better and better level 2 opponents to keep you challenged.
That's a good way of saying it. I could honestly see myself placing at Level 2 against most of the group. I'm not gonna run roughshod on any of you guys, but at the same time, I feel I can at least hold my own.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder

Growth can only occur in a state of discomfort.

xKMMx

Banned
Amen to that!

If y'all knew how many 1v1s I did against Prof and got bodies and didn't win 1, but the moment I beat him it was really a testament to how much I improved by being forced to learn and adapt.
Yup!!! me too lmao. I used to go into a complete defensive shell instantly against LK's online. After playing Oak's LK a long set or two this weekend I hit the lab to see if I can find a way around his LK.

By doing that I practiced things I would have never practiced in the same way before and now I have BIG confidence against the average online Liu Kang. I even got a couple to rage quit because I blew them up for full combos by interrupting the gap in the F433u3 KB string over and over and over again lol.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
I completely agree that growth comes from failure but a FT2 or best out of three competitive event/league in a vacuum isn't going to teach me much when I'm fundamentally worse than 99% of people in the league.

I'm not a stranger to competition or a competitive mindset. I was a competitive athlete for the majority of my childhood/teens into my 20's (I'm in my 30's now) and wholeheartedly agree that I need to be playing against people better than me. I also know that I don't improve in something without having a solid grasp of fundamentals and proper practice/drills.

Again a league format / weekly tournament isn't what I'm looking for right now. Moreso a mentor / mentee situation which came packaged with the League. I'm learning that I'm down to play with the TYM community, just at a different capacity where I'm not just free wins for people. That shit is hella frustrating and discouraging.

Last edited:

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
Yup!!! me too lmao. I used to go into a complete defensive shell instantly against LK's online. After playing Oak's LK a long set or two this weekend I hit the lab to see if I can find a way around his LK.

By doing that I practiced things I would have never practiced in the same way before and now I have BIG confidence against the average online Liu Kang. I even got a couple to rage quit because I blew them up for full combos by interrupting the gap in the F433u3 KB string over and over and over again lol.
I was in the same position, except I learned the Liu Kang matchup and how to deal with pressure from @TyCarter35

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior

Same. I played 4 Liu Kangs in ranked last night.

I didn't lose to a single one of them. @Professor Oak leveling us all up.