What's new

Tournament Standard? (settings)

DrDogg

Noob
Eh, just because the main game is 1 vs 1 doesn't mean we should force ourselves into a hole. As long as 2 vs 2 has some competitiveness and an acceptable level of balance, i see no reason we it couldn't, further down the line, become standard. I mean all it is, is just another character which you can tag in, extend combos too and use assists with. It could prove itself to be more varied than 1 on 1 combat, but it could also prove to prove to be down right daft for competitive play. Time will tell i guess.
The problem is that the competitive scene is already significantly smaller than the user base of the game. MK9 will sell 2 million copies, but we'd be lucky if 2,000 people play competitively. Most people wil view the 1v1 as the main game, because that's exactly what it is. So when you say a tournament will be 2v2 and only 2v2, everyone who has been focusing on 1v1 will think twice about going to that tournament and the competitive scene gets even smaller.

As other people mentioned, it's not out of the question to see 2v2 side tournaments. So you'll still get to play 2v2 in a competitive setting, it just won't be the main attraction.

rikana

Noob
I definitely see 2v2s as a side event. If anything, it'll most likely happen in every local tournament along with 1v1s. I say this because I play a game where you can play 1v1 or as 2v2 (super smash bros melee; and before you go about bashing it, I said melee, not brawl. Those two games are completely different although they share the same titles). 1v1s will always have priority over 2v2s. In big tournaments, 1v1s are the ones they must finish. They will try to finish as much of the 2v2s as they can.

Besides the ordinary 2/3 and 5/7, I think there should be no fatalities as well just so the games don't get delayed. Fatalities are cool and all, but if tournaments want to pick up the pace, they should disable fatalities (is there even an option to disable fatalities?). But even if its enabled, just quickly finish it off with a normal attack.. unless you wanna get into your opponent's head and taunt him/her with a fatality.

DrDogg

Noob
I definitely see 2v2s as a side event. If anything, it'll most likely happen in every local tournament along with 1v1s. I say this because I play a game where you can play 1v1 or as 2v2 (super smash bros melee; and before you go about bashing it, I said melee, not brawl. Those two games are completely different although they share the same titles). 1v1s will always have priority over 2v2s. In big tournaments, 1v1s are the ones they must finish. They will try to finish as much of the 2v2s as they can.

Besides the ordinary 2/3 and 5/7, I think there should be no fatalities as well just so the games don't get delayed. Fatalities are cool and all, but if tournaments want to pick up the pace, they should disable fatalities (is there even an option to disable fatalities?). But even if its enabled, just quickly finish it off with a normal attack.. unless you wanna get into your opponent's head and taunt him/her with a fatality.
I don't think you'll see much Smash hate here. Most people here seem to respect Smash as a competitive game. Even if you prefer Melee to Brawl, you can't deny both games have a rather large competitive scene. So you won't have to worry about the hate. ^_^

As for fatalities, if you watch some UMK3 and MKDC tournament vids, you'll see that fatalities are avoided most of the time. Expect that to continue in MK9.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
4/7 works for umk3, but it seems too long for mk9. Can you imagine a grand finals between a kitana player and a sub zero player? That's like 30-45 minutes!