What's new

Discussion Tournament Results and Their Effects on Character Tier Placement

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
Hey guys, it's been a really long time since I've posted one of these more intellectual threads but I decided with the recent talk about NEC and discussions about the post-patch tiers, I figured I would try and shed some light on one of the biggest things people discuss when it comes to this and that being tournament results. Now before I get into this I should probably explain what I mean. Basically, whenever there's a character that is 'bad' starts placing in tournaments or hell even just places once, an entire explosion of debate begins because the people who think the character is still bad state "Tournament results don't mean anything, bad characters place plenty and good characters sometimes never place at all" and I totally get that. However we can't act like Tournament Results do not at all reflect the strength of a character. To me, that statement is just ridiculous. A character winning really means nothing at all when referring to strength? Let's go through this step by step shall we?

Characters Who Are Bad Placing in Tournament
Okay, so there's this argument that characters who aren't strong or sometimes actively bad have placed in tournament before, this doesn't make them good. Perfect example is Mr. Aquaman placing with Ares in tournament during the Injustice days. I have talked to him on multiple occasions about Ares and he's basically told me he attributes a lot of his victory to how damn gimmicky Ares was. Early on in the lifespan of Injustice, hardly anyone knew the Ares matchup and therefor they got slaughtered because of it. However when you actually began to lab the character and get down to the thick of it, the character was mostly smoke and mirrors. Now how exactly did he place though? We already know the character was possibly bottom 3 material, Mr. Aquaman placed with him. Clearly that means tournament results don't matter in that aspect right? Well, yes and no. You see, when you are early on in a game's life cycle, minds are fresh and not nearly as much is known about characters, which is where Ares, Lord of the Gimmicks, thrives. This bit of information, is very important for the 'Tournament Results don't mean jack for strength' argument. People like to chock it up to 'he just didn't know the matchup, who even plays that character?' and them getting blown up for it. I can't refute that, this is what Ares did to you. So for that side of the argument, they have a solid point.

Character Who Are Bad NOT Placing in Tournament
This bit is something that people seem to forget. Even though bad characters can most certainly place in tournament, and have in the past, no one bats and eye when a top player who's playing a bottom character, doesn't place. Why don't they? Well the statement you'll hear is probably something like, "Well of course he didn't place, *insert character here* is trash tier" now wait a minute, didn't you just say that bad characters can place in tournament? You can't have your cake and eat it too man. Bad characters CAN win but you hardly, if ever see them win. People nine times out of ten will be playing a character they feel can compete. Example, anyone ever who was dumb enough to enter tournament with Unbreakable Sub-Zero at any point in the game's life until this latest patch. If you saw an Unbreakable enter a tournament and drown in pools, you wouldn't say a single damn word and might even be like "what did you expect." In short, bad character can win, that doesn't mean they do, and hell, they hardly ever do.

Characters Who Are Top Tier NOT Placing in Tournament
Okay here's where we get into the thick of it. Top tier characters is where most players who want to compete will flock to, so that they can win, as we all know. However, those are those top tier characters that just don't get representation, but everyone unanimously agrees on the character being top tier. Biggest example in the NRS scene probably being Cyrax in MK9. Only having a few players who really made the character shined and even placing with him, Cyrax was still known as a top tier monster, being at least Top 3 in the game no questions asked. Yet if you saw a Cyrax player drown in pools, you wouldn't yell that Cyrax was trash, he was clearly busted. So what does this mean? It simply means, sometimes you don't win. If you're losing with a Top Tier character it could mean you're not using the character to its fullest or maybe you're just bad, who knows and even then, good players playing Top Tiers lose plenty. Maybe it was a bad matchup or they just got outplayed. It's a fighting game, stuff happens and sometimes you lose. At the end of the day, the better player will most likely win.

Characters Who Are Top Tier Placing in Tournament
This is pretty similar to the bad characters not placing section. The expectation is that the good characters will place and the bad characters won't. When bad characters place, it's a struggle and you can SEE that it's a struggle. When good characters place it might still look like a struggle, but you can visibly see that the pre-patch Alien player, is having less of a hard time than the pre-patch Unbreakable player. When SonicFox was placing with Acidic countless times, no one batted an eye. "He's Sonic and Acidic is busted, what's to be surprised about. Obviously Alien is going to win, the character is busted." yea well here's the thing, if we're saying "Obviously X character is going to place, he/she is busted." we can't be looking at usually presumed bad characters placing and going "well no matchup knowledge" or "Low Tiers can place" the harsh reality is that bottom tiers RARELY place if ever. Stop acting like it's a normal thing that happens when those are the outliars and not the normalities.

So after all of that, DO tournament results matter when talking about a character's strength? Well I firmly believe they absolutely can but it's all about context. Ares isn't top tier because in month one Aquaman did well with him. Cyrax wasn't booty tier because a blind guy played him and didn't place. When you see a top player using a character and winning CONVINCINGLY with that character, against people who know the matchup just fine, there might be a chance that *gasp* the character is good. So remember, when you start waving around tournament results for arguments or dismissing them, look at the context.

coconutshrimp

Damn vro, hadda mess with yo auntie
I don't think using tourney results is really valid when determining a characters tier. You can use certain moments in matches where for sure they exuding top tier qualities or what have you, but generally there are WAYY too many variables to consider.

myri

Time Warrior
The way I've always seen it, it has far more to do with how good a player is than how good a character is. What I mean is, if a set is a played and a top level player uses a viable mid tier character against a slightly lower level player with a top tier character, I expect the top level player to win majority of the matches.

Tournament results don't definitively say "this character is top tier" because a lot of results can come down to the player using said character. That said it can prove that a character is viable and can be used effectively.

omooba

fear the moobs
a character's placement has nothing to do with results only in a world where we can all agree for the most part on match up numbers. This is definitely not the case in mkx which is why i think tourny results matter a lot more than previous nrs games

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
I think tournament results affect people's opinions about tier placement
Like after NEC, I'm pretty sure the fact that Tekken Master placed top 8 mainly with SQ D'vorah just shut up all of D'vorah downplayers and their "overnerfed, low tier not viable" complaint

I think tournament results affect people's opinions about tier placement
Like after NEC, I'm pretty sure the fact that Tekken Master placed top 8 mainly with SQ D'vorah just shut up all of D'vorah downplayers and their "overnerfed, low tier not viable" complaint
But apparently Tekken Master said D'vorah was trash lol

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Tourney results should not contribute to tier placement or if it does it should have minimum effect. Kabal in MK9 was probably considered the best character in the game but no one or hardly anyone (as far as i know) won a major with him or early release Kitana should and never was considered top tier despite Sonic winning evo 2015 using her for a good amount of the tournament. It should mainly be based on toolset, matchups and how well they're playstyle works with the meta. That's just my opinion tho.
Delete your account now and spare us all from future posts or bleach your fingers

TheRealOnlyGoonie

Hey You Guys
Tourney results should not contribute to tier placement or if it does it should have minimum effect. Kabal in MK9 was probably considered the best character in the game but no one or hardly anyone (as far as i know) won a major with him or early release Kitana should and never was considered top tier despite Sonic winning evo 2015 using her for a good amount of the tournament. It should mainly be based on toolset, matchups and how well they're playstyle works with the meta. That's just my opinion tho.
WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU ??????

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
Reo won all the tournaments with Kabal, but in your defense he was the only one to ever do anything consistent with the character. PL and Dab had small success with him but no one replicated what REO did.

With MKX you could look at Pig as an example, he had good success early as no one knew the Kenshi MU but it didnt mean Kenshi was OP. He just got by on lack of MU knowledge lol.

Another example is myself with Quan Chi Summoner. in the early days of MKX I was the only one having success with him in ESL even though everyone said i was only winning cause i used a broken character. If that were the case there would have been top 8s filled with quans, but alas i was the only one during ESL season 1.

Its tough to say whether or not tournaments determine tier status, as we see some consistent players in top 8s all the time. But what i do know is that NRS scene worries more about tier placement than any other scene does. It's really not that important as any player could win with any character as we've seen time and time again.

snort

Noob

CrazyFingers

Reo won all the tournaments with Kabal, but in your defense he was the only one to ever do anything consistent with the character. PL and Dab had small success with him but no one replicated what REO did.

With MKX you could look at Pig as an example, he had good success early as no one knew the Kenshi MU but it didnt mean Kenshi was OP. He just got by on lack of MU knowledge lol.

Another example is myself with Quan Chi Summoner. in the early days of MKX I was the only one having success with him in ESL even though everyone said i was only winning cause i used a broken character. If that were the case there would have been top 8s filled with quans, but alas i was the only one during ESL season 1.

Its tough to say whether or not tournaments determine tier status, as we see some consistent players in top 8s all the time. But what i do know is that NRS scene worries more about tier placement than any other scene does. It's really not that important as any player could win with any character as we've seen time and time again.
I completely forgot about Pig some how placing with trash tier Kenshi xD

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Wait, wait, wait, I'm going to have to ask you people to stop.

REO was NOT the only successful Kabal.

Detroit Ballin and Kevodaman won with the character as well. Kevo I think only won UFGT8, but it was a strong major regardless.

CrazyFingers

Wait, wait, wait, I'm going to have to ask you people to stop.

REO was NOT the only successful Kabal.

Detroit Ballin and Kevodaman won with the character as well. Kevo I think only won UFGT8, but it was a strong major regardless.
The point is, the suggestion that we didn't see Kabal win a ton when REO was like fucking Darth Vader to anyone he was in pools with is kind of ridiculous.

GOOD DRAGON

Awesometacular
Well tournament's possibly do have an affect on tier placement but only in the aftermath and in a sense. So tournaments sometimes can really highlight "broken" aspects of some characters or even struggling aspects of other characters. This can heavily influence nerf's and buffs in tern re-adjusting the tier placements of these characters.

Alien for example really stood out as a ridiculous character and even killed the hype in EVO when sonic reverted to him to win. This may or may not have influenced the alien nerfs but in my opinion it did because if NRS had tested the character and knew he was broken he wouldn't have been released like that (so we hope). Same with Tanya - think there was an ESL once that had 5 Tanya's in top 8.

So sometimes a tournament scene might be the best place to highlight some of these things in the hand of creative players.

So in summary - Kinda

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
They shouldn't be used to show tier placement, but they can give an idea of tier GAP.. Some games have a much larger gap between A/S and D/C (or however the tiers are structured) and tournaments can often show how wide or narrow that margin is.

Here's what I know, character loyalists are few and far between especially among people actually winning tournaments. So that makes things very simple for me.

If a character is a top tier than there would be someone placing with that character because it's in the best players best interest to use the best characters.

Is there a chance that a a slightly better than mid teir but not quite top tier character is ignored? sure. But a true top tier? The kind that gets endless threads amde about them? Nah, that's fucking nonsense and everyone knows it.

Everyone and their mother had pocket Raidens doing completely unoptomized two hit combos into Superman into corner shenanigans that were used on stream in tournament because that's what good players fucking do. There weren't 20 pocket Erron Blacks cause he wasn't as good as Raidens. Thems the facts.

Last edited: