What's new

Tournament Play: Disabling Interactables

Interactables in Tournament Play?

• Total voters

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
This has been a prominent debate since interactables became a thing in NRS games back in Injustice 1. They were way stronger back then, and have been balanced nicely since then as well. But they were a new mechanic and a a lot of people wanted to allow them to get more evidence that they were actually a problem. Time passed and people kinda just accepted them as part of the meta.

I believe at this point, we can make a more informed decision for MK11. Now, the normal interactables are fine. They are one time uses and aren’t overpowered. However, the real problem is the corner wall run interactables that can be used multiple times in a match. They get you out of the corner for free. At this point I doubt they will change before the game is released. I don’t know of very many, if any, tournament players that are big fans of this mechanic. Maybe some are, but it seems like most tournament players have a consensus view on them.

In MK11, there’s an option to disable them completely. I wish there was a more specific option that you could disable only the corner ones, but it’s an all or nothing thing. So, my vote is that we just disable them completely for tournament mode and tournament play. I don’t think interactables really positively effect the meta in any significant way to keep them enabled.

Now, this is for tournament play only. If you have no interest in playing in tournaments, please do not participate in the poll.

Anyway, what are y’all opinion on this?

i would say leaving interactibles on. At most if some stages are such an issue like special force desert base ban the stage or give the option to both players to ban 1 stage.

i think stage control and positioning and using interactible is part of the game and is part of the mind game play in the corners.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
FUCK. NO.

Interactables were hoooooooooooooorribly balanced in Inj2 in favor of the gadget chars.

I want them gone in MK11 without even trying them because they've been bad in all games so far lol. The free corner escape invincibility is uuuuuuuughhhh
Yeah true, I kinda have amnesia when it comes to Injustice 2. Even though it’s the most recent NRS game, lmao.

Lokheit

Noob
My main problem with interactables is that they're not symetrically distributed which is one of the basic rules of good level design (competitive maps on most good games offer the same opportunities for both sides down to collision boxes on any corner) and means that a player starts closer to the good stuff and the other has to force a side switch.

They don't have to look the same, for example in MKX Blanche could've had a sheep on the other side mirroring her moves but with the same effects.

I only played the Pit when they added it because it was symetrical and the only correctly balanced stage.

REO

Undead
Main argument from Injustice 1 to keep them on was "tHeY aDd mOrE dEpTh".

MK11 already judging from the small sample size of the beta seems like the game will have a ton of depth. Also not every single little feature that adds more "depth" to a game will necessarily make the game better. This is why I'm glad NRS got rid of silly things like "first hit bonus advantage". Something like that being removed is better for the game in the long run, in my opinion. I have had the same stance with interactables since Injustice 1.

You know it was absolute comedy when you play someone in a match during Injustice 2 and sweat starts dripping from your forehead when the game starts selecting a stage at random to determine your fate in the MU. It wasn't even the character your opponent chose, it was the s t a g e that got people shaking their heads in disgust. We learned from MK9 that selecting stages was not proper. We should take our experience from the past three NRS games with interactables and try to apply the same logic here.

It would be nice to at least try one tournament with them turned off and see how people enjoy the game.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
They don't get you out of the corner for free. If you think they will do that, back up and AA them or Air to Air them... or use clone (oh wait).

I said leave them enabled, but I wouldn't miss them if they were gone.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
They don't get you out of the corner for free. If you think they will do that, back up and AA them or Air to Air them... or use clone (oh wait).

I said leave them enabled, but I wouldn't miss them if they were gone.
In Inj2 gadget characters could use corner escape interactables to get out of 1f gaps using inviniciblity with no resources spent. Literally for free. It's horrible.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
In Inj2 gadget characters could use corner escape interactables to get out of 1f gaps using inviniciblity with no resources spent. Literally for free. It's horrible.
People played Inj 2??

I was talking about the wall runs in mk11. I voted leave them enabled because I don't mind the ones like the spear on shang's stage. One and done and not much damage.

But as I said, if interactables were disabled or removed from the series all together, it wouldn't bother me. I prefer MK9 style anyway. lol

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
People played Inj 2??

I was talking about the wall runs in mk11. I voted leave them enabled because I don't mind the ones like the spear on shang's stage. One and done and not much damage.
I think wall runs will be the same in MK11, since there's no stamina cost like in MKX.

I think the tournament players that are active should simply speak to the organisers as stress that you would like them turned off.

This game clearly doesn't need them and I think to get the game most want to play that those who are going to tournaments should state what they want on mass.

If you have locals then do no intractable tournaments right now. Don't wait for the meta to develop around them.

Do sets with your training partners without the interactables on.

I think this game should be given a chance to live as a game that can develop dirt outside of interactables.

This game can thrive with them turned off.

I think interactables are an Injustice mechanic that should not be disabled in Injustice cause it was clearly designed with those characters in mind.

Whilst MK4 had weapons and interactables, it did not suit the game.

I think this game is really promoting working for your wins through neutral, spacing and footsies with the buttons provided for your character.

Whilst either way the game is gonna be good I feel it would be better with interactables off.

I am no tournament player though. I am a casual and as a casual I am planning to play my friends without interactables!

We will work to get out of the corner and earn the escape.

Whatever makes tournament players happy though!

TurboTaco

Mexican street vendor
If NRS insist on putting them in their games can they at least make them single use. Nothing worse than walking someone into a corner and they use the corner escape only for them to do it again after you get them back in there.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
Get rid of it. Having interactables legal in competitive play contradicts the neutral and footsie game NRS wants to focus on with MK11.

Last edited:
Interactables conceptually have potential but in this game no (NRS hasn't done shit with them). They don't add much and that corner shit is toxic considering this is the type of game where a rushdown character has to walk you down, as well as there are a variety of defensive options the player already has. Ruins the flow of the game.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I expect to see everyone voting “keep them enabled” at MK11 tournaments!

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
Spacing and screen control is a big part of fighting games. I dont like the fact that people gain new options when being backed to the corner. The corner of the screen should be as dangerous as ever especially considering how large the arenas are.

In my case specifically, I wont get anymore accidental interactables. It still happens if you press 1 than 2 too closely together.

I say keep them off. I feel they're totally unnecessary. I'm not counting on this being the case, though.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Isn't that the opposite of what you want though?
No, that’s why it’s a vote. If tournament players want interactables, that’s fine. It’s a democracy afterall. But as I said in the OP, if you’re not planning on participating in tournaments, you shouldn’t be voting. So, for those that did, I expect to see them in tournaments!

Fyi, I understand what you meant, lol. But seriously, it’s a vote!