What's new

Tournament Locked Presets Will Impact This Games Longevity The Most

ErmacMKX

Noob
I'm enjoying the game but being forced to use these presets severely limits this games potential. I could understand if the two options we had were reasonable but in a lot of cases one is much better than the other and even in that preset there are moves I don't care for.

Noob for example, his Black Sabbath is clearly better than the other tournament preset, however his shadow ball and sickle port I don't care for. All he needs is his sickle slam paired with his tele-slam and the character would be 100 times more fun to play.

I understand the importance of competitive balance but when playing ranked it only feels like I'm using half a character, its a shame because you can see the potential for each character. I hope they open up and allow us to customize because the limited moves is making these matches a lot more repetitive then they should be, and the fact that it doesn't have to be is disheartening.

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
I'm not playing ranked because of this. I love choosing what moves I want. They should just give us the option to pick our specials on the select screen. It shouldn't take longer than what picking a team in MvsC3 did.

I wonder how much will they sell the extra tournament variations for.

I actually think it'll increase longevity as they add more and more competitive presets and adapt the game as time goes on. This is a good start and they'll be building on this as time goes on which will keep the game fresh.
Do we have statements from the devs confirming this?

HAMMER

Noob
Sorry customs turns the game back into 50/50 trash
What's wrong with a 50/50 game?

Blocking low and high is a fundamental part of fighting games and has been for MKX (which is a great game to follow).

Are the tournament presets the ones we use when we play Klassic Towers? I haven't really messed with the "Kustimization" yet.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
I really like the idea of building your variation at the character select screen. It would add some much needed variety and strategy. Right now, everyone is playing their character the exact same way as everyone else. It’s boring.

I actually think it'll increase longevity as they add more and more competitive presets and adapt the game as time goes on. This is a good start and they'll be building on this as time goes on which will keep the game fresh.
Or yknow we could have custom variations for the entire games life and have fun.

Syd Barrett Lives

Italian Psychopath
I agree completely. They had a really cool idea on paper, the natural evolution of the variations system and they lock it out of the modes where it would be used by pro players to the full potential.

Just let people run with it and balance accordingly, I believe it can be done without too many problems.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
50/50s are probably the most frustrating part of fighting games. I much prefer a footsie based game than one where you're contantly fighting against random vortexes. It makes balancing and the competitive nature of the game much more compelling.
Having 50/50’s doesn’t mean any character will have a restand into a vortex. MK11 has what, 6 ways to wake up? That’s plenty of options a smart player could use to mitigate or completely avoid pressure. Adding the option to pick different special moves won’t change how mechanically sound MK11’s defensive options are, nor how important fundamentals will be once the neutral is reset.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
This is the reason I won’t play ranked until customs are allowed.

I actually never liked the variation system in MKX. But I’m MK11, I really like going through each character and trying out all the different moves, and deciding on individual moves that suit my play style.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Tournament longevity in NRS games is only dictated by the game release cycle. That's it.

Other than that it's just people making excuses. For each game, you guys find a reason why it supposedly didn't last longer than two years, but the truth is that it's only because everyone knows the next game will come out.

Games in terribly broken states have been played in tournament long past their developer support (Melee, MVC3), so I don't want to hear this stuff about "If we only had X feature or Y patch, or things were like I personally wanted them to be, we'd support this game longer". BS.

We know exactly why this is, and so it's time to stop pushing these false narratives. If we want this community to keep growing we will keep supporting the current game regardless of what state the game is in (Melee, MVC3) and if we don't, then we won't, simple as that.

Last edited:

Oki Red

Noob
It's silly how they not learned from ij2.
It's a waste... Games has lots of great moves that you can't use in ranked/tourneys...

Last edited:

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
I mean, shit, if this is a good start, what would have been a bad start?

Thingy

Retired account
Tournament longevity in NRS games is only dictated by the game release cycle. That's it.

Other than that it's just people making excuses. For each game, you guys find a reason why it supposedly didn't last longer than two years, but the truth is that it's only because everyone knows the next game will come out.

Games in terribly broken states have been played in tournament long past their developer support (Melee, MVC3), so I don't want to hear this stuff about "If we only had X feature or Y patch, or things were like I personally wanted them to be, we'd support this game longer". BS.

We know exactly why this is, and so it's time to stop pushing these false narratives. If we want this community to keep growing we will keep supporting the current game regardless of what state the game is in (Melee, MVC3) and if we don't, then we won't, simple as that.
This right here...

/thread

The Gabriel

Mean Man
Tournament variations were obviously a rushed afterthought and it's a joke that we're being forced to adhere to them.

It's like making pro Hearthstone or MtG players use pre-made default decks only.

There are zero arguments for locked tournament variations that hold up under even the lightest scrutiny.

Nahhhh saying a game should be supported regardless of the state a game is, isnt the right way to go about it it. We shouldn't be willing to accept something broken and be expected to support the game just because we dont want the game to die. We as a consumer should have more respect for our time and money then that. Games should be open to constructive criticism without the threat of the game being killed off. If the game takes those criticisms into consideration and is supported on the devs end then the life of the game will naturally extend. Ignore the criticisms(obviously not every criticism should lead to change cause God can people be wrong about certain design decisions) and you fam base will often leave the game for dead. I think they should most definitely listen to the audience on this one though. How they design the game around making a character your own via custom load outs and then restrict the ranked and tournament play variations is baffling and contradictory to their own design philosophy (imo obviously). It just doesnt make sense why they would, beyond a balancing issue which I understand. I think people should know we definitely arent getting another nrs fighting game for quiet a while. With new consoles on the horizon and the nature of fighting games needing a solid foundation of install base itll probably 4 to 5 years before we get another so I do think both the devs need to ensure they listen to feed back and consumers not drop the game cause they think a new one will come out soon.

Theres a reason nrs said they're going to support this game for years, plural. I see maybe at most "season 1" of what ever their ranked mode thing is called being slightly restricted (how it is now) to gauge how to balance but going into season 2 they cant just get away with just adding more variations, they should allow customs the same way casual play is. And fix their ui in the character select screen so we can change out moves there so the process is smooth during tournaments.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Nahhhh saying a game should be supported regardless of the state a game is, isnt the right way to go about it it. We shouldn't be willing to accept something broken and be expected to support the game just because we dont want the game to die. We as a consumer should have more respect for our time and money then that. Games should be open to constructive criticism without the threat of the game being killed off. If the game takes those criticisms into consideration and is supported on the devs end then the life of the game will naturally extend. Ignore the criticisms(obviously not every criticism should lead to change cause God can people be wrong about certain design decisions) and you fam base will often leave the game for dead. I think they should most definitely listen to the audience on this one though. How they design the game around making a character your own via custom load outs and then restrict the ranked and tournament play variations is baffling and contradictory to their own design philosophy (imo obviously). It just doesnt make sense why they would, beyond a balancing issue which I understand. I think people should know we definitely arent getting another nrs fighting game for quiet a while. With new consoles on the horizon and the nature of fighting games needing a solid foundation of install base itll probably 4 to 5 years before we get another so I do think both the devs need to ensure they listen to feed back and consumers not drop the game cause they think a new one will come out soon.

Theres a reason nrs said they're going to support this game for years, plural. I see maybe at most "season 1" of what ever their ranked mode thing is called being slightly restricted (how it is now) to gauge how to balance but going into season 2 they cant just get away with just adding more variations, they should allow customs the same way casual play is. And fix their ui in the character select screen so we can change out moves there so the process is smooth during tournaments.
Again, constructive criticism is an entirely separate topic. Here's a healthy mindset:

"Ask for what you want -- but make the best of what you have."

This is the mentality that sustained and grew the FGC over many years. What it means is that you're free to not like certain things, give feedback, say what you'd change, etc. But that you don't take it as a source of entitlement and conditionally support your own community only when you get exactly what you want. This is the mentality that grew Smash, Street Fighter, etc.

Believe it or not, it is possible to both give feedback on things you'd like to see changed, while still fully supporting a game for as long as possible. And that's the mentality we need to have if we want to continue to grow. Otherwise, if we keep shooting ourselves in the foot every single time certain people are not 100% satisfied with some aspect of a game (and people will never, ever be 100% happy with any competitive game -- that's just common sense), then we will keep killing our own momentum with every new game.

SUPAHJD

Horror Guest Shill
I gotta disagree.

I think bringing in these custom moves into actual competitive play makes a huge problem for balance and it does bring back a cheaper style.

I'm happy with the tournament variations. Could they have offered more? Maybe. We'll see how time goes on.