What's new

Guide Tips on becoming a better player: Part 2 - Online vs Offline/Tournaments

I wish I could attend tourneys...

I am a former tournament player. Just a few years back, I played at all types of tournaments I could find for Smash Bros. Melee and Smash Bros. Brawl. I was incredibly good, winning some, losing some, the usual.

Then I became a Marine. Right now, I am stationed in the middle of nowhere, a desert in California. Closest city is 2 hours away. I can hardly find time to game as it is. So I have become a "online only" player. My fellow Marines are no competition whatsoever, and if they're good at anything, it would probably be Call of Duty, which I have absolutely no interest for.

That said, I agree with everything stated by the TC. But unfortunately, not everyone has the choice to attend tournaments. Heck, soon enough I'll be over in Afghanistan, and I'd like to know if tourneys go down over there. Something tells me that won't be the case. Just maybe...

Hey there, I have a friend that wants to become a better player. He loves MK like the next does and he wishes for the game to be expert level competitiveness. Now he has a problem.

My friend has got the game since its release and he has been workong like crazy to be a better fighter, and he thinks that through online, he can di that by being strong opponents even through lag. The problem however is he gets real salty because he believes he has messed up in the matches. Most of his mess ups are due to execution failing, the opponent spamming, or him not being smart enough to react. He blames himself as well as lag for the loss of his battles and he feels ashamed that he had to act very angry towards to the people online and his family member as they heard his anger throughout the house. He asked me to go to TYM for great advice and tips that will help him succeed in the future. He want to stop being but he tried so hard but failed to control himself and he wants to win more. I only ask what should he do?

I am gonna beg my bro to play this game with me. I am fed up with the online version of this game. I dont need rage in my life right now lol.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Neat topic. I just feel generally speaking that you should learn from your loses, play solid players and you learn from it. At least I have, adapt to various opponents patterns, tactics. Everyone has one, it's just a matter of reading and capitalizing on your opponents mistakes. I feel like telling the people who send me hate mail on xbox every day just about this, but it'll do no good telling a scrub that just doesn't understand the way it works.

JacopeX

Playing: Injustice, Persona, Blazblue, and MK
I have played a KL player online and got destroyed. Turns out it was a guy from my school who claims to be the one who beat me in KOTH mode and showed me a video of it himself on his iphone. So we played two offline matches and I beat his Kung Lao easily. And i'm pretty sure my skills were still the same since then.

Since that day (Few days ago), I stopped playing online.

I play online anytime i'm over my friends house and we feel like trolling people online. lol

VAL

Noob
Where there's a will, there's a way. The offline scenes don't just magically appear. Members of the FGC put time and effort into building a scene in their area. There are some unfortunate areas where you may be the only fighting game player within hundreds of miles though. But that doesn't mean the article doesn't apply to those people as well. It just means those people can't play offline as easily or often as others. Online can never be taken seriously despite where you live, even if you can only play online.
This is so true, last year there were no MK players were i live. But my buddy max and i started a weekly get together devoted to MK, We taught people how to play the old stuff and new stuff. Introduced all our friends to the game, and now The Nexus (as it is known) Is a hug party evyery week with at least 5 hours of MK every time!

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
I remember this thread, I need to start making these again.
Yes, yes you do. Reading all of these threads has actually helped me out ALOT. It actually might've been the reason why I continued to play this game. I use to rage-quit, send rage-mail, and blame them for my losses. It came to the point where I almost gave up on the game, I became so mad at the people online for zoning, using top-tier characters, etc. Luckily for me, I found this site, and more so your threads. Going into matches and even other games with this healthy mindset improved my game. I'd love to see more and more threads like this. I've stopped raging in general now.

Anyone who doesn't read these are missing out on ALOT. It improves you on a whole other level.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Yes, yes you do. Reading all of these threads has actually helped me out ALOT. It actually might've been the reason why I continued to play this game. I use to rage-quit, send rage-mail, and blame them for my losses. It came to the point where I almost gave up on the game, I became so mad at the people online for zoning, using top-tier characters, etc. Luckily for me, I found this site, and more so your threads. Going into matches and even other games with this healthy mindset improved my game. I'd love to see more and more threads like this. I've stopped raging in general now.

Anyone who doesn't read these are missing out on ALOT. It improves you on a whole other level.
Thanks man. These threads were made awhile ago so a lot of the newer people to the site haven't even seen them. But yeah, I intend on doing more of these soon.

This was such an interesting read! Very useful information for someone like myself who's only started on the offline scene (been once). I just hope I can adapt quickly to offline play. Sometimes online I have terrible lose streaks and this make me feel like I'm the worst player in the world, but it's reassuring to know that offline is where it's at to test and improve your skills at MK.

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
Thanks man. These threads were made awhile ago so a lot of the newer people to the site haven't even seen them. But yeah, I intend on doing more of these soon.
Yea, I started coming to this site in September (give or take). And one of your threads were one of the first threads I read. I can't wait to see any other threads your doing, all of them are great reads. Hopefully the new people will start reading these.

GlacialEternity

Maverick Hunter
This is very interesting, indeed.

I wish I COULD play games offline, I'd love to truly try to work on my game. I have a few setbacks though: None of my friends play this game, at all. I live in Iowa, so I doubt I'm near any tournaments. AND I'm 16. I do have a license, but there's no way in hell I could drive out of state. The best I could be would convince my parents to go to the area of where the tournament is located for a vacation. "Hey mom, can we go to (insert location here) for vacation. You can go shopping and I'll go to a MK tournament. Okay, kthxbai."

Speaking of which, is anyone in Iowa? lol

Even if you are an online-only player, you can't take your wins seriously. If any game had perfect, 1:1 netcode there would still be too many variables that come from you not being in the same room as your opponent. Them playing sloppy could simply have been them talking to someone. Dropped inputs could have come from pets jumping on their lap.

Playing online is fine, you just have to have the right mindset about it.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
There are some people who play online that I can't even talk to. I'll express my frustrations when I can't uppercut a Kung Lao teleport on reaction and they are like "no man I did it like that on purpose!"

And I'm like "yea and I let go of block on purpose just to get hit". lol. NO, I know how to uppercut a Lao teleport on reaction. I've done it hundreds of times.

Most people have a really good understanding of the differences between the two but some people put too much significance in online matches. I for one can barely win any games online. I have more losses than wins I think (or I'm evenish) yet I can compete with anyone offline.

Carefoot

http://youtube.com/nickcarefoot
Been playing on Supercade and GGPO lately for older games on PC...
....its not just the netcode its because consoles are ass. 360 and PS3 are pretty terrible. Consider the fact MK9 cannot be played while listening too music on either console but the vita has twice as much ram as both and can. 512mb of ram is shite.

The fact is modern consoles half half the ram of modern phones. Bring MK9 to PC. I'm top 40 on PSN (Karefoot), and top 50 on XBL still even tho I stopped paying for it (Carefoot).

Just my 5 cents.

Also my understanding that the PC version of arcade kollection for PC still has bad netcode even though its on PC. So I wouldn't leave it too NRS.

Red Venom

The Main Man of TYM
Very good information, I should probably try to find a tourney or two to compete in if I plan on going to next years EVO.

SuppaSapien3

Chipotle and Olive Garden are NOT authentic
thank you for this article it really put things in perspective for me. Im gonna try to double my efforts to make it to tourneys to play.

nice thread. But now i got an issue. What do you do when online play is all you have? I do not drive yet and every local is far as hell away from me. It really sucks and idk what to do because i understand that online sucks ass and i really wanna play offline.

Iced_Taz

Characters loyalist :)
I think some online warriors should read and learn from this. For me online is absolutly nothing. I can see some online bullshit all time. The best thing is that opponent who can beat me (because of lag) are very proud about it and thinks he is master of the universe. PSN biggest online warriors:

- kanutt (that guy thinks he is amazing player but the truth is he has very bad connection. He tried to poke you after -22 on block :) )
- starlaneGPT (that guy also doesn't know nothing about game. On lags he tries to mashing poke after every his move. You can't punish him on block but he thinks he owned you :) )
-sharkteeth (biggest joke ever. Game against him is almost immposible. Imagine that guy can do combos on fatal connection. I want to see his timing offline. Of course he thinks he is one of the best MK player in the universe) :)))