What's new

Time to be real with Reptile

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
After a lot of thinking, and some discussion with MITDJT, I've pretty much done a 180 on my stance of Reptile. Before, I thought this character was completely middle of the road, with a string of bad matchups. Okay, fuck that thought process. This character is definitely top 10, barely outside of it at the worst again. My lack of playing as much as I used to seriously blinded me.

This character does not lose as hard to that many characters. Sonya, Kabal, Cyrax, and maybe Kung Lao. Only 4 characters that give him a hard time. Skarlet isn't a disadvantage matchup...it's just unfamiliar right now. Kenshi just requires us to be patient. Why would anyone ever think Sektor beats Reptile? The only thing keeping this character from going higher is that he's not as dominant a character as the better characters. But he's solid vs the entire cast. And yes, he has an advantage vs Kitana.

This character is good, but tbh, he's good if you can play him in a patient manner. I don't mean patience as in turtling your ass off. I mean playing to pick your spots. He's not a character you can straight go aggro or turtle. You have to play this character to his all-around abilities. He's solid at zoning, solid at footsies, solid at rushdown...all-around solid. You can't play him on one side of the fence to play him at his peak. That's why some of these matchups seem harder than they are.

The fact of the matter is that MIT and Showtime are probably the two most complete Reptile players out there...and honestly play him the most optimally. I didn't understand why they still had as much confidence in Reptile as they did until I did some hard thinking about the character myself. Even though I'm not playing this game competitively anymore, I see it now.

Reptile mains, in order to get where you need to be with him, you have to improve every single aspect of your game. You have to learn what it truly means to play him solidly...not relying on gimmicky play as much. These wakeup gimmicks can help, but it's not going to win you a tournament. This game is 1 1/2 years old. As it gets older, people will just start blocking more than they already do, and these gimmicks will dwindle in effectiveness. It's not something we can rely on. Place an emphasis on a solid gameplan instead of reliance on gimmicks, and I can assure you...more Reptiles that are at their level will arise, and more of us will see exactly where our character stands.

Likely one of my last posts pertaining to Reptile's matchups. Here is my honest opinion.

6-4 vs Baraka
5-5 vs Cyber Sub-Zero
4-6 vs Cyrax
5-5 vs Ermac
5-5 vs Freddy Krueger
6-4 vs Jade
5-5 vs Jax
5-5 vs Johnny Cage
4-6 vs Kabal
6-4 vs Kano
5-5 vs Kenshi
6-4 vs Kitana
4-6 vs Kung Lao
5-5 vs Liu Kang
5-5 vs Mileena
6-4 vs Nightwolf
5-5 vs Noob Saibot
6-4 vs Quan Chi
5-5 vs Raiden
5-5 vs Rain
6-4 vs Scorpion
5-5 vs Sektor
6-4 vs Shang Tsung
7-3 vs Sheeva
6-4 vs Sindel
5-5 vs Skarlet
5-5 vs Smoke
4-6 vs Sonya Blade
7-3 vs Stryker
5-5 vs Sub-Zero

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
I definitely agree that Reptile is a solid character. For awhile, I really had difficulty against him because his footsies seem to be so much different than most of the cast. I will also say that i think the ST MU is 5-5. I plan to get some games against Showtime in Dallas, so I will make sure to post more thoughts and my final decision after that time.

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
I always thought Reptile was good. I never understood why some people underrated him.

I still disagree about the Noob mu though. We can agree to disagree about that.

THTB

Cool thread. I am surprised there is no mention of Mileena being a tough matchup for reptile. Am I missing something?

Acid
Mileena doesn't really do anything to Reptile that puts him at a disadvantage. The main thing she does well is she has safe-ish anti-zoning via telekick, but that's really it. She doesn't lock out Reptile, she doesn't outfootsie him, she doesn't rush him down all that amazingly. She just goes even vs him.

There's a lot of people that feel otherwise, but seriously, she doesn't really have a solid advantage on him that really puts the matchup in her favor.

THTB, preach brutha preach lol, and that is all I have been trying to say about reptile. I'd have a few changes to that mu chart, but that is a very solid mu chart that i wouldn't mind ppl going off of for sure. When everyone realizes he is an all around char, more will play and succeed with him.

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
Freddy and Jax no longer beat him? What about Cyblax?

16 Bit seems to have un-emoed himself and now says that Kitana-Reptile is 5-5. Thoughts?

Last thing--what makes Rep 7-3 vs. Sheeva?

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
16 Bit seems to have un-emoed himself and now says that Kitana-Reptile is 5-5. Thoughts?

That's one of the few on my new MU chart I am not sure about. I have worked on it a lot lately, feel more comfortable with it, and decided to round up.

This post is funny because I just blew up the Reptile community on the KTP for not listening to MIT. He is the most optimistic about the character and arguably the most successful. You can't really say MIT is overrating Reptile because the community just doesn't know how to deal with him when MIT's brother is another top guy. You can be sure Denzell isn't getting blown up by gimmicks.

Israel

Noob
I agree with yall about how reptile good. But the main question is..will we see him again?
I mean..im waiting on dallas to confirm my games so i can register b4 its too late. (cuz my job requires me to let them know 3weeks-a month in advance). I hope im not the only one out there Main Reptile. i got some dirty to unleash upon all flesh

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
I'll be using Reptile mainly from now on.

I wish any of my Revelations Rep matches were recorded, but none of them were =[

THTB

Freddy and Jax no longer beat him? What about Cyblax?

Last thing--what makes Rep 7-3 vs. Sheeva?
Freddy has to play the match with Reptile full screen the entire time, or he's at a pretty decent disadvantage. Luckily Freddy can do so.

Jax doesn't beat Reptile. CDjr beats Reptile.

Cyblax is the same...doesn't Cyblax have less damage, though?

Sheeva gets killed by d4 xx acid hand, Reptile can avoid telestomp reliably, etc.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
as someone with quite a bit of exp in the matchup, cyblax vs reptile is considerably better than cyrax vs reptile, probably 5-5

the nets aren't as good and the damage isn't as high

cyrax is easily my least favorite matchup as reptile though... nets trade with everything and if you trade, or misread one dash out of pressure, you literally die.

Israel

Noob
Yea worrying about net messes up my whole mind state fighting cyrax. Bombs dont worry me that much, but the damn net. Even gotta be smart w/ the dash also. i would jus stay in his face...

THTB

as someone with quite a bit of exp in the matchup, cyblax vs reptile is considerably better than cyrax vs reptile, probably 5-5

the nets aren't as good and the damage isn't as high

cyrax is easily my least favorite matchup as reptile though... nets trade with everything and if you trade, or misread one dash out of pressure, you literally die.
I figured it would be easier. I just wasn't entirely sure.

zaf

professor
you know ermac pretty well, and know him better then half the people that play him.
if you feel reptile ermac is 5-5 its hard for me to disagree.

Showtime

Reptile/Sonya
I think this MU chhaty basically hits the nail on the head, don't know about losing g to cyrax 6-4 but everything else looks perfect, good shit THTB MITDJT

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2