What's new

Tier Lists, how do they work?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
The title was suppose to be a stab at ICP's song "Miracles", lol @ disclaimers.

This thread may not be needed but I've been studying for hours for my Psychology test and need a break. I want to explain to everyone what a tier list is, how they're formed, and some recent topics such as Maxter winning The Gamer's Edge with Stryker. I need to make it clear that I don't think you guys don't know any of this, I just thought it would be good to have all of this clearly (or at least close to clearly) defined and so it can be referenced.

How Tier Lists are formed:

In every fighting game there's going to be a tier list. But how are the tier lists formed? It's always been a little different for MK for reasons I'm not quite sure of. However, tier lists should be formed the same way. And the way they are formed, is primarily based on match-ups. The match-ups will always be out of 10. So you will never see a ratio higher or lower than 10, it will always equal 10. For instance 7:3 is correct, 7:4 would be incorrect since that would be out of 11. The first number added up for all match-ups is what determines the place on the tier list of the specific character.

Example - Say a game has 5 characters. A, B, C, D and E. To form a tier list, we need to know the match-up numbers. Mirror matches will always be 5:5.

A vs A = 5:5 - B vs B = 5:5 - C vs C = 5:5 - D vs D = 5:5 - E vs E = 5:5
A vs B = 7:3 - B vs A = 3:7 - C vs A = 4:6 - D vs A = 5:5 - E vs A = 6:4
A vs C = 6:4 - B vs C = 2:8 - C vs B = 8:2 - D vs B = 6:4 - E vs B = 3:7
A vs D = 5:5 - B vs D = 4:6 - C vs D = 6:4 - D vs C = 4:6 - E vs C = 5:5
A vs E = 4:6 - B vs E = 7:3 - C vs E = 5:5 - D vs E = 4:6 - E vs D = 6:4

So what we would then do is add up all the first numbers for each character.

A = 27 - B = 21 - C = 28 - D = 24 - E = 25

So the tier list would look like this:
1. C
2. A
3. E
4. D
5. B

Or it would be grouped in tiers, like A+ tier, B tier, etc. But since I used Letters it would be kinda confusing.

Now, just because B is bottom tier, the absolute worst, it doesn't mean that the character is necessarily bad or can't win. All the tier list shows is that based on the match-ups, B doesn't have very many match-ups in his favor. It actually says nothing about the ability of the character or it's potential. Tier Lists constantly change because match-ups change once you learn new tech or figure more shit out about the game.

If B were to win a tournament, it doesn't always mean that B's match-ups have changed. However, you would look into them more. If B started winning more tournaments or placing high, you would look at the character's B had to face. If it was all terrible match-ups for B (ex C), you would re-evaluate the match-up. But this has to be based on consistency.

Regardless of it being based on numbers, the match-ups themselves are fairly subjective. One top player can feel the match-up is 5:5 while the other feels it's 7:3. This is the tricky part and where arguments are born. I'm not 100% sure how they come to an agreement, but in that specific situation they of course would discuss it, then probably agree on a middle ground 6:4.

Even with all of this, all tier list show you is how the characters match-up on paper. It doesn't show character ability, or the ability of a player. B could have hidden potential and end up the #1 character in the game as more things about B are figured out as the game progresses. Tier Lists are rarely, if ever, set in stone.

My point is, just because Maxter won a tournament with Stryker, it doesn't mean people were wrong in saying Stryker was low-tier. Like wise it doesn't mean Stryker is now top 5 or even top 10. Because tier lists aren't based on the ability of the character or the player, but how many good/bad match-ups that character has. If low tiers start placing high consistently, the match-up numbers are likely to change which bring that characters placing in the tier list higher. As far as I know, everyone already knew Kitana has a bad match-up against Stryker. So him winning the tournament with Stryker, in this situation, won't change his placing in the tier list AT ALL. Because the match-up didn't change, he only used Stryker in the Grand Finals vs Kitana which the match-up is already in his favor.

I appreciate that you took the time to post this, but it sucks that you even had to. I'm just a casual player/spectator, and I knew how it worked. I guess some people see tier list and just assume that means best to worst, matchup be damned.

I guess they don't want to talk to any scientists, because those motherfuckers lyin' and gettin' them pissed.

My problem with tier lists is that sometimes it's not 100% accurate in displaying how viable a character is. Look at the old ssf4 tier list. Akuma and fei long, who had the best score in the game, had more bad MUs than Adon, who's score put him at low B tier. The reason why Adon was ranked so low was cuz he had no real good MUs, but does it matter? Then you had zangief and dhalsim who had 3-7 MUs but still had a better score than adon. Looking back at it now, I don't have a problem with a tier list based on bad MUs.

http://iplaywinner.com/news/2011/1/5/super-street-fighter-4-tier-list-january-2011.html
ssf4 tier list

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
My personal opinion on Tier lists is that they are always subject to change, and can only be references of what we currently know, and they should only be taken as reference points. Nothing more.

As soon as someone exposes a match up with a fundamental flaw, and it becomes the common strategy, then that score completely changes. They are so fragile.

My personal opinion on Tier lists is that they are always subject to change, and can only be references of what we currently know, and they should only be taken as reference points. Nothing more.

As soon as someone exposes a match up with a fundamental flaw, and it becomes the common strategy, then that score completely changes. They are so fragile.
That's how I look at them. That's why I never got into the flavour of the month thing that happens with MK9.

My point is, just because Maxter won a tournament with Stryker, it doesn't mean people were wrong in saying Stryker was low-tier.
True. But it doesn't mean they are right to say he's bottom 5 either. ;)

Cyrax/Cyblax has been on everyone's top 5 list for a long time. Because ON PAPER he looks amazing. He can pull off 75% for 1 bar! WOW. God tier fo sho. But fact is he's not winning at high levels and seems to struggle vs a lot of characters. So what do we say? "Cyrax is still S+ tier it's just that americans have no clue how to play him right."? Or: "Well maybe Cyrax wasn't as good as we initially thought. Maybe he doesn't deserve to be top 5."?

EDIT: WOW my post was way too long for nothing lmao.

OJuggernautO said:
As far as I know, everyone already knew Kitana has a bad match-up against Stryker. So him winning the tournament with Stryker, in this situation, won't change his placing in the tier list AT ALL. Because the match-up didn't change, he only used Stryker in the Grand Finals vs Kitana which the match-up is already in his favor.
I know this isn't the point of the thread but on what are you basing yourself to say that "everyone already knew that Stryker won vs Kitana"?

Konqrr, Osu 16 bit and other Kitana players still believe that the match is 6-4 or 5.5-4.5 in Kitana's advantage. And I've said the match was closer to 5-5 or 5.5 in Stryker's advantage. But adding both Kitana and Stryker's inputs together the general consensus seems to be that it's a pretty even matchup with advantage up close/fullscreen for Kitana and advantage Stryker from far away to midscreen.

If it's 6-4 advantage Stryker then that's definitely new to me. And that means Maxter's performance alone has changed the on paper MU. :)

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I agree with you that Maxter winning 1 match with Stryker doesn't automatically mean Stryker = top. But you we're also saying that if Stryker wins EVO then he would still be bottom tier and his MUs wouldn't change. It's possible but that's not how other fighting games have worked so far. Most serious tier lists are largely based on tournament results more than actual on paper matchups. Because tourney results speak louder than any on paper theory fighting that any top player could ever come up with.
What I said is that he wouldn't automatically move up in the tier list, as well as the match-ups don't have to necessarily change. You can't just see a Stryker win a Grand Finals match and then say Stryker now should move up in tier list. You have to analyze which character's the Stryker player faced. He could move up but not based on the fact that he simply won a tournament.

Obviously, it depends on how convincing the player wins and how often that character places top 8. So currently, you're right: Stryker didn't suddenly moved up a tier just because of 1 offline performance. But that being said it is much too soon to even say with conviction that Stryker is bottom 5.
You're misunderstanding my point. I'm saying WHEREVER Stryker is on the tier list, bottom, mid or top, it's not going to change based on Maxter winning the tournament with him. Because he only used him in the Grand Finals, in a match-up that favors him over his opponents character. Not only that, but it was one tournament.

I know this isn't the point of the thread but on what are you basing yourself to say that "everyone already knew that Stryker won vs Kitana"?
Collective experience based on what most people were saying, as well as the evidence of the match itself when you watch it. It's not exactly hard to see based on the tools available if the match-up favors one or the other. It doesn't mean everyone agrees like I stated in my post. Top players often disagree with one another on the match-ups.

If it's 6-4 advantage Stryker then that's definitely new to me and kind of contradictory proof of what you're basically trying to say. If the Kitana vs Stryker MU is now 6-4 Stryker instead of 5-5 then that means that Maxter's performance alone has changed the on paper MU. :) And that would be proof that tournament results indeed change matchup numbers and can potentially move characters up and down on the tier list.
Again, not claiming anything specifically. I said the Stryker vs Kitana match-up is in Stryker's favor based on the overwhelming consensus and based on my experience and what I witnessed. Doesn't necessarily mean it's 7:3 or 6:4, just that it's in Stryker's favor. You can disagree, match-ups are subjective to the perspective of every player.

I wasn't disagreeing with the point you were trying to make. And I understood your initial post very clearly.

I was just sharing my opinion on 2 related subjects but I guess I was being a little off topic.

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
How can a tier list be made if there's "no one playing X at his full potential" ?
I'd say every character needs a long ass representation fighting every other character, but the community is too "small" in those terms. Those who main a "bad" character are often looked down and get the "shut up, you don't play him at his full potential, he's got this and this and that. No way he's bad.", but yet nobody ever plays them the "right way".

The only reason I'd say people don't win with Cyrax is because he's pretty much the "fear" character, just like Kung Lao was at one time. I mean, everyone knows the Cyrax or Kung Lao matchup like they know their hand's palm. The Stryker matchup? It may take longer and more than just 1 or 3 players using him.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
How can a tier list be made if there's "no one playing X at his full potential" ?
I'd say every character needs a long ass representation fighting every other character, but the community is too "small" in those terms. Those who main a "bad" character are often looked down and get the "shut up, you don't play him at his full potential, he's got this and this and that. No way he's bad.", but yet nobody ever plays them the "right way".

The only reason I'd say people don't win with Cyrax is because he's pretty much the "fear" character, just like Kung Lao was at one time. I mean, everyone knows the Cyrax or Kung Lao matchup like they know their hand's palm. The Stryker matchup? It may take longer and more than just 1 or 3 players using him.
Well you're never going to find any fighter where every character is played at it's full potential. It's just not going to happen unless there's like only 5 characters.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I think tier lists are kind of 50/50, meaning. 50% opinion based on experience and 50% truth to it if majority feel similar.

I definitely agree on the Maxter Stryker point, most people don't use him because of his tier placement but that doesn't mean a character can't be capable of winning a tournament or something just on that alone.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
I think tier lists are kind of 50/50, meaning. 50% opinion based on experience and 50% truth to it if majority feel similar.

I definitely agree on the Maxter Stryker point, most people don't use him because of his tier placement but that doesn't mean a character can't be capable of winning a tournament or something just on that alone.