What's new

Question Throwing then (90's) and now!

RyuKazuya

Jesus is my Lord and Savior!
guys i really enjoy this thread and not in a negative way. Growing up in germany i never had the opportunity to have these experiences :(
But i really like to read the old arcade storys since it depicts the beginning of the fgc. That stuff belongs to history channel hahah
no but really thanks for sharing your cool storys

guys i really enjoy this thread and not in a negative way. Growing up in germany i never had the opportunity to have these experiences :(
But i really like to read the old arcade storys since it depicts the beginning of the fgc. That stuff belongs to history channel hahah
You're welcome (=

You're welcome (= yea the arcade days were something else bro, no practice mode, no frame data, nothing. Instead of trying to count frames we "felt" them sort a speak.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
No, throwing is allowed because the players who used them eventually won out.

Yes, softening was introduced in ST, however throws are still also used in HF and CE. Play these games today and you will be thrown. Just watch this video of Watson playing the game from 2007. What does he do when he's in, he tick throws Ryu multiple times in a row.
Now take note that this is from a time when HF was still being played heavily in GGPO/2DF as well as any arcades that had them and was, and still is, considered by many to be the de-facto standard for competitive non-ST Street Fighter.

As for the original, it has too many issue to be considered truly competitive, including the lack of mirror matches. CE fixes these issues, however the bosses are too dominant.
We are talking about the 90's though, before all these other games came out that solved the issues with throwing. Once the stigma of throws being cheap was eliminated, it was much easier to go back to these games and accept throwing as part of the game. Especially considering the myriad of other cheap/OP tactics in that game. Although, when you watch that video, it's pretty clear that throwing was not balanced well. There is little to no up close fighting in that video. Every time both players are on top of eachother, there's a throw. The few instances where you see anything else, like a dhalsim standing strong or headbutt is most certainly a missed noogie or throw attempt.

Crusty

Retired forever; don’t ask for games.
I honestly feel spoiled af, I always complain about IGAU throws being hard to tech. Does teching it on reaction come with practice.

Also, if what I heard is true, since the throws in that game were lenient, MKX throws are very strong in the game unless its the enhanced online beta we are looking at.

Any idea how to get better at teching throws, I'm free af to them

We are talking about the 90's though, before all these other games came out that solved the issues with throwing. Once the stigma of throws being cheap was eliminated, it was much easier to go back to these games and accept throwing as part of the game. Especially considering the myriad of other cheap/OP tactics in that game. Although, when you watch that video, it's pretty clear that throwing was not balanced well. There is little to no up close fighting in that video. Every time both players are on top of eachother, there's a throw. The few instances where you see anything else, like a dhalsim standing strong or headbutt is most certainly a missed noogie or throw attempt.
^This.
Exactly, all the top players ended up throwing but BECAUSE players who weren't on their skill level used a throw to counter a more skilled player. Bottom line is that back then it was considered cheap. How the games evolved and the throws were toned down/countered is a different subject all together. I was extremely good at SF 2, I remember one time at utc where there were some of the best players in southern Cali, me and my bro started beating all these guys, guys who had won tournaments, I remember a guy named Dave who was easily top 5 in Cali, we played about 6 games and me and my bro shared rounds against him and another top player, I remember after the 6th game they started cheaping (throwing us), sagat's short tiger knee into a throw. It was then that we knew we had these guys. Even their friends laughed at them and told them they couldn't believe they had to throw to win. We then left and got on the bus to go home. One of the proudest moments in our fighting careers. (=

marietta1200

Best Coast
^This.
Exactly, all the top players ended up throwing but BECAUSE players who weren't on their skill level used a throw to counter a more skilled player. Bottom line is that back then it was considered cheap. How the games evolved and the throws were toned down/countered is a different subject all together. I was extremely good at SF 2, I remember one time at utc where there were some of the best players in southern Cali, me and my bro started beating all these guys, guys who had won tournaments, I remember a guy named Dave who was easily top 5 in Cali, we played about 6 games and me and my bro shared rounds against him and another top player, I remember after the 6th game they started cheaping (throwing us), sagat's short tiger knee into a throw. It was then that we knew we had these guys. Even their friends laughed at them and told them they couldn't believe they had to throw to win. We then left and got on the bus to go home. One of the proudest moments in our fighting careers. (=
Good stuff man. And regardless, it was just the implication that you (and I--although I only played in arcades in AZ... I was 11 cut me some slack) were "scrubby" that got me argumentative in the first place. What's MORE interesting, to me, is that whole culture of cheap throws and giving throws back when they happened accidentally. That was cool, dude! It was such a weird and crazy time, looking back. I love MKX but it is so sophisticated by comparison. This thread is some great nostalgia.

Good stuff man. And regardless, it was just the implication that you (and I--although I only played in arcades in AZ... I was 11 cut me some slack) were "scrubby" that got me argumentative in the first place. What's MORE interesting, to me, is that whole culture of cheap throws and giving throws back when they happened accidentally. That was cool, dude! It was such a weird and crazy time, looking back. I love MKX but it is so sophisticated by comparison. This thread is some great nostalgia.
Yea, good times man, so are these bro! Yea I don't like blowing my own horn but since we're on the subject I don't think there was anyone who beat me in mk1 mk2 mk3 and umk3 back then in San diego area, we were known as "the mk brothers" and we pretty much beat everyone back then, I suopped playing after umk3, I just started playing mkx a couple weeks ago and yes things have changed greatly, so many more things to learn now and consider but I believe you can do anything if you put your mind to it and as long as you love it. All of a sudden the hunger to get good came back. You can take the boy out of the arcade but you can't take the arcade out of the boy!