What's new

Tech Throw has priority over Killer Frosts Black Ice (Slide).

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Hellion_96, pretty sure you can tech any throw attempts. It seems like it just stops the attack as if it were blocked.

@Fill Pops
@EGP Wonder Chef
Heroic_Legacy
@Phase3

Do you guys know if the low or high command grab has priority over this? I think the high one will(read should) miss.
Situations where you cannot block, you cannot tech.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I thought you guys would understand the game mechanics by now...

KF is actively doing a move while she is thrown hence she cannot tech the throw.

You can sweep or d1 her out of it too. I've been doing this since beta.

KRYS9984

Noob
As a reminder, this is not supposed to be "the tech" to beat her slide. Baiting into combo punish is ideal, however, it's meant to showcase that her slide does not have 100% priority over other attacks and can be countered on reaction.

As mentioned, a smart Killer Frost player will use the threat of the slide to their advantage and condition the opponent to play his or her game; no yolo slides for half screen away.

The game has been out for a month an a half and people are still discovering tech; if all Killer Frost mains already knew this information, others (who didn't) will now know as well and perhaps use it to their advantage / create even more tech. Knowledge is power.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Man, after the hundreds of games we have played why wouldn't you tell me something like this though
I did say the move had like no priority a bunch of times it is probably on the salt mic. Plus, I played most of them with Batgirl and like I said it is useless anyways. Black Adam has WAY better ways of dealing with the slide and KF in general.

Chuckychuck and I were testing out options for Killer Frosts blocked slide when I mentioned "what if you could grab her out of it?"

Well, we gave it a shot and it actually worked; after about 10 minutes of practice he was able to throw me quite consistently. I was also not sliding on cue, we were weaving in and out of various ranges and everything was done randomly & on reaction. He was also able to throw a "wake up attack" slide as well; the character spacing was just outside of neutral (start of match).

We tested it out with most of the cast and it seems to works across the board. It's easier to execute with certain characters that have better throw hitboxes (eg: Black Adam, Aquaman, Doomsday) and if done correctly, will always have priority.

The viability depends on the user and the main focus here was to showcase the tech. Perhaps someone will discover additional tech by watching this video and how the hitboxes interact.

just like balrogs ex dash punches in ae... this will be really hard to do when you are not at max range and frosts are not being predictable

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
just like balrogs ex dash punches in ae... this will be really hard to do when you are not at max range and frosts are not being predictable
^^agreed 100%

again best reference was made by the guy who said "fear of reptile dash"

Players like chris g make you fear it

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
What KF really needs is Black Ice Cancels some air daggers, wait a minute Fuck it lets just make her the new Kabal while we are at it and make that slide unblockable too.

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
Pretty good find though well known, slides priority is total ass :/ with that said, I hate all of you

Shawi

Noob
Has anyone found that a throw even grabs slide on wakeup? It has happened to me a few times. I'll test it in the lab n' see.

Solid

The Longbow Hunter.
This times 1000000000000.

A KF player will only slide all willy nilly if they see their opponent is clueless/braindead and literally can't deal with it. In a real fight you'll never see much yolo slide from a real KF player.

But shhhhh 16bit. Let more people drop her because they think yolo slide is what she relies on lol.
Really? Did you see the 16bit vs Slips match?

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Really? Did you see the 16bit vs Slips match?

Please tell me you're not being serious man. You can't base a matchup on 1 fight that happened....
16bit was not playing correctly against Slips, plain and simple.

His strategy at UFGT was to D1 after blocked slides to punish people who didn't know the matchup...
That should be all the info you need to realize that he was praying off inexperience the whole entire tournament.

Learn the matchup yourself, bait some slides, then realize that YOLO slides are just the dumbest thing you could do vs an opponent that knows what they are doing.

Solid

The Longbow Hunter.
Please tell me you're not being serious man. You can't base a matchup on 1 fight that happened....
16bit was not playing correctly against Slips, plain and simple.

His strategy at UFGT was to D1 after blocked slides to punish people who didn't know the matchup...
That should be all the info you need to realize that he was praying off inexperience the whole entire tournament.

Learn the matchup yourself, bait some slides, then realize that YOLO slides are just the dumbest thing you could do vs an opponent that knows what they are doing.
I have not complained about the match up. I just stated that i saw him do slide followed by slide. Many people do that too. Slide at mid range is pretty difficult to react too and that is what makes it really good. You said yourself it needs to be baited. I have no problem with KF in general. I know she is too good and nothing can change that opinion. She is too good. Too damn good.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
I have not complained about the match up. I just stated that i saw him do slide followed by slide. Many people do that too. Slide at mid range is pretty difficult to react too and that is what makes it really good. You said yourself it needs to be baited. I have no problem with KF in general. I know she is too good and nothing can change that opinion. She is too good. Too damn good.

Slide into Slide.....

You either play online or have never played a Killer Frost for more than 5minutes man, that is absurd.
I play people that would never let me pull something as stupid as D1 after a blocked slide let alone slide.... into slide.

Look for an offline Killer Frost player, learn the matchup, and come back here. I'm not trying to be a dick or anything dude. I'm being dead serious.

Solid

The Longbow Hunter.
Slide into Slide.....

You either play online or have never played a Killer Frost for more than 5minutes man, that is absurd.
I play people that would never let me pull something as stupid as D1 after a blocked slide let alone slide.... into slide.

Look for an offline Killer Frost player, learn the matchup, and come back here. I'm not trying to be a dick or anything dude. I'm being dead serious.
No offense taken as you didn't understand what I'm saying. I didn't mean slide followed by slide as in spamming the move. He did the slide which was blocked. Both backed up a bit and he did it again. It was blocked again. No penalties for that. It does show that the move can be repeated and you have to commit on a read (due to KF being pretty close) to either block it or go for a nj or jb punish. I do play a Killer Frost player offline and I thaught him not to d1 after a blocked slide.

Edit: D1 after blocked slide was a day one bad habit.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I played poorly against Slips. It sucks but whatever.

However d+1~slide after slide is legit in some scenarios. There's MU where you can backdash or jump out of all their fast post blocked slide options so they'll start doing moves with reach or AA ability that are slower than 12 frames. Anyway, I'm not saying this was good strategy in that set but yeah d+1~slide after slide can be good.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
I played poorly against Slips. It sucks but whatever.

However d+1~slide after slide is legit in some scenarios. There's MU where you can backdash or jump out of all their fast post blocked slide options so they'll start doing moves with reach or AA ability that are slower than 12 frames. Anyway, I'm not saying this was good strategy in that set but yeah d+1~slide after slide can be good.
Yeah, most of the time in general it just depends on what patterns you are detecting with how your opponent reacts to slide. If they are throwing out normals or anything that gives you a window to d1...then yeah on read d1 into slide will be an awesome option.

So I randomly tested KF mashing throw during her slide, and she teched the throw o__o. Gonna test it once more, just to make sure I'm not an idiot.

Also, Command Grabs (or at least Lobo's) trades with the slide. I get popped up, she get's awkwardly knocked down.

Video showing her teching during her slide