What's new

This should be considered for a future game

are you tired of good fighting against evil?

• Total voters

callMEcrazy

Alone is where to find me.
I do see your point and I do Understand that they can not go back in time to change the story again.
But by making this thread I mean that as an Idea it could be interesting to break out of the cliche of bad vs evil.
In my opinion there is no point of having earth realm because to me it doesnt make any sense to have people from earth realm like sonya, kano, jax, Johnny cage, etc and then make them save supernatural abilities.
In MK earth realm is also magical. Don't forget the Lin Kuei comes from earth realm as well. Raiden is its protector and he is a god. So earth realm is not meant to be a non-magical place in MK.

I myself don't like it when the characters that you mentioned are always at the fore. And to be honest MK has strayed from that formula before with MKDA and MKD. So it's quite possible that it may do that again. What you suggest is actually what I thought would happen after seeing Mk9 ending with Shinnok and Quan.

eddsol

Noob
In MK earth realm is also magical. Don't forget the Lin Kuei comes from earth realm as well. Raiden is its protector and he is a god. So earth realm is not meant to be a non-magical place in MK.

I myself don't like it when the characters that you mentioned are always at the fore. And to be honest MK has strayed from that formula before with MKDA and MKD. So it's quite possible that it may do that again. What you suggest is actually what I thought would happen after seeing Mk9 ending with Shinnok and Quan.
Yeah I guess I didn't thought if that, for a moment I thought that most of them were from Edenia or that other hellish place.
but youre right.
And I agree that after seeing the ending it was all about shinook and quan chi, trying to dethrone or kill Shao Kahn. so it could be said that my suggestion already happened.

trufenix

bye felicia
Yeah, that's literally the exact point that I was making. Not, say, instead of having the writers on payroll, divert the money to the programmers to make the competitive aspect suck less.

But hey, I agree with your point about that point you decided to say I was making. The guy who said that sucks.
Oh, so they should forgo everything that makes a successful video game and just make Virtua Fighter. Well, I got bad news for you, nobody buys Virtua Fighter.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Oh, so they should forgo everything that makes a successful video game and just make Virtua Fighter. Well, I got bad news for you, nobody buys Virtua Fighter.
Or they could keep story bullshit to a minimum and focus on gameplay like Street Fighter. Which everybody buys (I don't even play and it's on my 360's HDD for some reason). Seriously man, if you're gonna make that argument, make sure there isn't a highly visible title in the same genre that fits right into the point the other guy's making.

If I wanted to watch a Mortal Kombat movie, I would watch the fucking Mortal Kombat movies. Maybe even the one that's supposed to fucking coincide with the release of MKX. If I'm dropping $60 bucks on a multiplayer game I don't want a glaring reminder of all the money that wasn't spent on the multiplayer aspect (RE: the whole fucking point).

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Or they could keep story bullshit to a minimum and focus on gameplay like Street Fighter. Which everybody buys (I don't even play and it's on my 360's HDD for some reason). Seriously man, if you're gonna make that argument, make sure there isn't a highly visible title in the same genre that fits right into the point the other guy's making.

If I wanted to watch a Mortal Kombat movie, I would watch the fucking Mortal Kombat movies. Maybe even the one that's supposed to fucking coincide with the release of MKX. If I'm dropping $60 bucks on a multiplayer game I don't want a glaring reminder of all the money that wasn't spent on the multiplayer aspect (RE: the whole fucking point).
Don't forget that MK title isn't suddenly winning all that competitive audience from SF and similar games, but chances to lose MK audience are very real.
Mind that visiting TYM really affects the way you see MK community. Walk past that and you can see that significant part of MK crowd still don't know what that "2 players" button does and don't care about something past bb1, d2.
NRS tries to expand their market beyond what they have already, and that's the reason they bother with competitive scene, but don't expect them to drop reliable fans.

Also just gonna repeat that there's no way to effectively allocate "more personnel" on certain task and expect their productivity to increase proportionally. There are only two ways to "spend money on multiplayer" past that point:
1) Testers - which is kinda pointless because community will do the job better, you can expect them to filter most retarded stuff but that's it;
2) Spending more time on development and polishing - not feasible most of the time because of deadlines.
That is assuming MP development isn't woefully undermanned.
In short, you can't just throw money at problems or think it's so easy to just spend less there, more here and suddenly everything is fixed. If everything in this world was so easily converted into or out of currency, life could be so much simplier.

P.S. I'm yet to see a decent Mortal Kombat movie. Well, gonna wait until people realize that you cannot move from one media to another without drastically changing means used to tell the story and show stuff.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Super drunk, hold on tight for me:

... but chances to lose MK audience are very real. ...
Not really. I mean, the "MK audience" still consists of the people who bought Armageddon, right? I'll actually be willing to bet that 8/10 people that slogged through the story mode of the last game couldn't tell you a thing about it.

I'd still argue that the core MK audience is way more into blood and guts than they are SHAO KHAN AND EDENIA AND EARTHREALM AND SUBZERO AND SCORPION AND HERDIDYDERDIDYDER or whatever. This is the game that invented the "JUST PRESS BUTTONS - INSTANT SUPER" concept. Build on that shit before you allocate a huge portion of the budget to a 3 hour "HUMANS IS THE GOOD GUYZ, MONSTERS PEOPLES IS THE BAD GUYZ" movie where you fill in the fight scenes yourself.

Also just gonna repeat that there's no way to effectively allocate "more personnel" on certain task and expect their productivity to increase proportionally.
Not talking about personnel necessarily. Talking about cold hard cash monies, mostly. They only work on a portion of the project for a portion of the time as it is now. Expand that role of the core code monkeys, with money.

There are only two ways to "spend money on multiplayer" past that point:
1) Testers - which is kinda pointless because community will do the job better, you can expect them to filter most retarded stuff but that's it;
First point here: VG companies treating "early adoption" consumers like their Beta testers is why gaming has been kinda ass for a long time. Imagine if it wasn't your role in the universe to find bugs, glitches and other bullshit for the developers right after launch. If that was somebody else's paid gig, rather than your unpaid, unwanted job.

Seriously people, it's 2014. Not 1992. We aren't making the fighting game genre up as we go along anymore. It has a pretty decent list of things that universally no consumer wants to be involved with. Why would you honestly argue that it both is and should be your job to find shit like block infinites? That stuff shouldn't really be in there period.

Imagine a game like Call of Duty where people figure out a way to basically guarantee themselves ∞ kills on multiple maps for __________ reason. Notice how that's never happened? It's because most of their effort goes into multiplayer design. There will always be bugs and glitches hidden through out but we're talking about core gameplay. For some reason fighting games are the only titles that get a pass on massive core gameplay fuck-ups.

Let alone with the expectation that the people who fucking paid for it will be the ones to point it out.

Maybe if people who played fighters had some halfway okay standards for what they expect from the subsidiary of a 12.3 billion dollar company, none of this would be an issue.

2) Spending more time on development and polishing - not feasible most of the time because of deadlines.
Imagine if the coding guys had twice as long before their deadline lands because a huge chunk of the budget wasn't written out to the "Tarkatans invade Edenia and blahblahblah Thunder God blibityblabitybloo Liu Kang and human spirit and deus ex machina" crowd. Don't get me wrong, if the Mortal Kombat story was high art or something, or told a decent story, or really was even half the distance away from FULL RETARD, I might have a different opinion. But it's unintelligible and I think less of anyone who defends it as worth saving. Lord Of The Rings/Harry Potter/The Bible/The Odyssey are all way better stories and the same basic thing. People are looking at the MK story like it cures cancer or something. Like the story mode is the ONLY WAY MK can prove legitimacy.

Making a single fucking title with decent balance would go a much longer way towards that.

In short, you can't just throw money at problems or think it's so easy to just spend less there, more here and suddenly everything is fixed. If everything in this world was so easily converted into or out of currency, life could be so much simpler.
I will maintain now and until my dying breath that More Money = Easier/Better, Less Money = Harder/Worse. And that life is fundamentally that simple for a multitude of reasons too intricate and complex to argue in this thread and if you would like to have that philosophical discussion, PM me with a starter.

P.S. I'm yet to see a decent Mortal Kombat movie. Well, gonna wait until people realize that you cannot move from one media to another without drastically changing means used to tell the story and show stuff.
Man, this all depends on your definition of "decent." Also another discussion that I invite anyone insane enough to engage me in via PM.

Anyway, if you into results of polls, I sort of fall on the side of victory in this discussion.

Last edited:
Reactions: eks

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Not talking about personnel necessarily. Talking about cold hard cash monies, mostly. They only work on a portion of the project for a portion of the time as it is now. Expand that role of the core code monkeys, with money.
Actually, it's exactly personnel you're talking about :p

Imagine if it wasn't your role in the universe to find bugs, glitches and other bullshit for the developers right after launch. If that was somebody else's paid gig, rather than your unpaid, unwanted job.

*snip*

Imagine if the coding guys had twice as long before their deadline lands because a huge chunk of the budget wasn't written out to the "Tarkatans invade Edenia and blahblahblah Thunder God blibityblabitybloo Liu Kang and human spirit and deus ex machina" crowd.
Then I'd wait twice as long for that game, and had probably to pay twice as much for it. I'd rather prefer community engaging in the process sooner and solve issues quicker than company reliant on a bunch of hired guns who work slower and cost more.

Now, if only support was more responsive and lasted longer to actually fix what's found.
I guess we had to deal with "don't patch my game for the first year and oops it's dead for some reason then" crowd. Who cares though, not a problem IMO.

Don't get me wrong, if the Mortal Kombat story was high art or something, or told a decent story, or really was even half the distance away from FULL RETARD, I might have a different opinion. But it's unintelligible and I think less of anyone who defends it as worth saving.
Wasn't the thread about trying to solve one of the issues with the story though? :)

Making a single fucking title with decent balance would go a much longer way towards that.
I agree, but I don't expect them to build game like that on a release date. No company I'm aware of managed to pull that off, but many did that by not dropping patching for years after release. Therefore I think NRS shouldn't try to approach that by doing some closet development and testing.

I will maintain now and until my dying breath that More Money = Easier/Better, Less Money = Harder/Worse. And that life is fundamentally that simple for a multitude of reasons too intricate and complex to argue in this thread and if you would like to have that philosophical discussion, PM me with a starter.
Fundamentally, yes. My point is that unless you're going to shift release date, you can only improve aspect "X" by dedicating more people to it if so far this direction of development was undermanned.

Man, this all depends on your definition of "decent." Also another discussion that I invite anyone insane enough to engage me in via PM.
But you've pretty much have pointed out what's wrong with MK-related stories, I just don't see movies doing much better than games, really.
But indeed, to each his own.

Anyway, if you into results of polls, I sort of fall on the side of victory in this discussion.
Probably siding with those who want decent story, but think it's not important if it's black&white or grey&grey kind of story :p
Then again, this is TYM. As I've said, those who don't value gameplay over everything else don't visit this forum.

Although then there's that "training mode or story mode first" thread...

Last edited:

Colares

Apprentice
Super drunk, hold on tight for me:

Not really. I mean, the "MK audience" still consists of the people who bought Armageddon, right? I'll actually be willing to bet that 8/10 people that slogged through the story mode of the last game couldn't tell you a thing about it.

I'd still argue that the core MK audience is way more into blood and guts than they are SHAO KHAN AND EDENIA AND EARTHREALM AND SUBZERO AND SCORPION AND HERDIDYDERDIDYDER or whatever. This is the game that invented the "JUST PRESS BUTTONS - INSTANT SUPER" concept. Build on that shit before you allocate a huge portion of the budget to a 3 hour "HUMANS IS THE GOOD GUYZ, MONSTERS PEOPLES IS THE BAD GUYZ" movie where you fill in the fight scenes yourself.

First point here: VG companies treating "early adoption" consumers like their Beta testers is why gaming has been kinda ass for a long time. Imagine if it wasn't your role in the universe to find bugs, glitches and other bullshit for the developers right after launch. If that was somebody else's paid gig, rather than your unpaid, unwanted job.

Seriously people, it's 2014. Not 1992. We aren't making the fighting game genre up as we go along anymore. It has a pretty decent list of things that universally no consumer wants to be involved with. Why would you honestly argue that it both is and should be your job to find shit like block infinites? That stuff shouldn't really be in there period.

Imagine a game like Call of Duty where people figure out a way to basically guarantee themselves ∞ kills on multiple maps for __________ reason. Notice how that's never happened? It's because most of their effort goes into multiplayer design. There will always be bugs and glitches hidden through out but we're talking about core gameplay. For some reason fighting games are the only titles that get a pass on massive core gameplay fuck-ups.

Let alone with the expectation that the people who fucking paid for it will be the ones to point it out.

Maybe if people who played fighters had some halfway okay standards for what they expect from the subsidiary of a 12.3 billion dollar company, none of this would be an issue.

Imagine if the coding guys had twice as long before their deadline lands because a huge chunk of the budget wasn't written out to the "Tarkatans invade Edenia and blahblahblah Thunder God blibityblabitybloo Liu Kang and human spirit and deus ex machina" crowd. Don't get me wrong, if the Mortal Kombat story was high art or something, or told a decent story, or really was even half the distance away from FULL RETARD, I might have a different opinion. But it's unintelligible and I think less of anyone who defends it as worth saving. Lord Of The Rings/Harry Potter/The Bible/The Odyssey are all way better stories and the same basic thing. People are looking at the MK story like it cures cancer or something. Like the story mode is the ONLY WAY MK can prove legitimacy.

1- Not even 10% of the sales play competitive or care for fine balance. Even some people watching evo on paid chat still think superman and Deathstroke are God Tier in Injustice.
2- Competitive was good because it kept the arcade game being used now without it it isn't the main selling point.
3- MK9 brought back a ton of people that gave up on mk on 3D era and some brought people on nostalgia.
First and only point.
It doesn't happen on CoD because the engine is the same they just keep reskining it.

Shooter: shoot; if it hits take lifepoints and all the receive end needs to do is take damage and die
FG: use a punch; if hit/hurtboxes collide now calculate hitstun(if blocked, or in the ground or in the air)
same for hitstop, damage or chip if blocked, setting the animations
next second frame advantage
now we have to see if the next button the player presses if it will cancel into if in the cancelable frames, link, or chain or don't happen because it was mid animation out of buffer window or uncancelable.
Now add the whole 2D space so if you hit 1,1 against an opponent in the air what will happen? it depends the height and distance from each other a little bit high you might be able to put another 1,1 or lower a 2 but if a bit to the left a 2 won't connect.
Now this shit for all the buttons possible X all positions of the screen X all character combinations X etc
And this isn't all but I won't go into this you'll never find a fighting game without an infinite or super broken stuff.
Curiosity SFIV in their poorly made game came to the point that some combos were really good/broken but full of 1 frame links thinking players would learn and abuse(as they would for certain) they made almost all basic combos 1-2 frames and added plinking so regular combos that are 1 frame are easier and the broken would be impossible by a frame or two and even so Dudley's and Chun's infinite went through.

And again a pool on a forum for competitive asking a question on the story from a wrong point of view in the writing sense is no proof that a story is important or not.

Now OT:
There's no good or evil(is not willingness to kill that make it one or the another)
If MKX is the Story of Outworld vs Netherealm and Earthrealmers are just aiding one side or the other but the protagonist is Raiden one time he will help one more than the other and define protagonist(good) vs antagonist(evil)

Story is important even to competitive because it brings new casuals that could turn into competitive, casuals are what bank the game and more features for them means more sells and the game can be made and patched. And a lot of people will pick their mains based on personality or looks that can be altered on story. And I bet most TYM played story mode and did challenge tower even if not 100% or just to show other people the game.