What's new

General/Other - Sub-Zero This is why so many people main Sub-Zero.

Jay Rupp

Human Smoke or Riot
Despite the title of this topic, this isnt some anti Subby rant. I've played MK since childhood and something has always drawn me to Scorpion. Looking back, I think it was a combination of the "GET OVER HERE" and the character's overall originality. Fast forward to MK9(2011), by this time Scorpion had pretty much become the "face of Mortal Kombat". The youth of this generation seem to think they're cool for disliking something that's popular and I believe this is the reason for a large portion of Subby mains. They take a look at Scorpion and think "naw he's the poster boy of MK" and then choose the 2nd coolest looking ninja, Sub-Zero :D Now obviously this doesnt account for all Sub mains, I have friends that have played him since MK1/2. However, I think it speaks volumes for the ridiculous influx of Grandmaster Subs online. If you like a character, don't be afraid to pick him.

Edit: Eventhubs puts Grandmaster Sub @ #1 of their popularity list. DON'T STOP PLAYING HIM NOW! Lol

Last edited:

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
Despite the title of this topic, this isnt some anti Subby rant. I've played MK since childhood and something has always drawn me to Scorpion. Looking back, I think it was a combination of the "GET OVER HERE" and the character's overall originality. Fast forward to MK9(2011), by this time Scorpion had pretty much become the "face of Mortal Kombat". The youth of this generation seem to think they're cool for disliking something that's popular. I believe this is the reason for a large portion of Subby mains. They take a look at Scorpion and think "naw he's the poster boy of MK" and then choose the 2nd coolest looking ninja, Sub-Zero :D Now obviously this doesnt account for all Sub mains, I have friends that have mained him since MK1/2. However, I think it speaks volumes for the ridiculous influx of Grandmaster Subs online. If you like a character, don't be afraid to pick him.

Edit: Eventhubs puts Grandmaster Sub @ #1 of their popularity list. DON'T STOP PLAYING HIM NOW, lol.
Wrong wrong and you couldn't be more wrong. I was always a Subz fan, even though I liked every single MK2 char and 90% of UMK3s chars.

If this was the case more people would have used him in MK9.

I used to like them both equally until I realized how much of a dumb fuck Scorpion was as I got older.

I never got the Scorpion Hype. Yeah he has that classic move, but I've always been more enthralled using the ice-clone, or freezing someone in their tracks, and laying the smackdown at my leisure. Subzero is just a fun character to play as, whereas scorpion makes me feel like I'm on autopilot, not really minding my movements that can be blown up easily.

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
Or maybe people like Sub Zero because they like Sub Zero. Sub Zero and Scorpion were the two main characters, or at the very least, the two most iconic, memorable characters of a video game that had taken the entertainment medium by storm. MK formed the ESRB as a byproduct. So the most popular characters are almost definitely going to be the two ninjas. One is hot, one is cold. One is 'good' one is 'evil'. One belongs to one clan, and the other another. One is Blastoise the other is Charizard. One is Goku the other is Vegeta. One is an apple the other is an orange. One is Coke the other is Pepsi. It doesn't matter what they are in actuality. It doesn't matter if Ed Boon favors one over the other. They are antonym characters which will form a following for many different reasons. To some like yourself, Scoprion is obviously cooler. A fire ninja with a memorable quote and an interesting storyline. A fun gameplay style and iconic moves. For others to prefer the other ninja, to you may seem like an impossibility.

To others, Sub Zero is clearly cooler. He can freeze people, had one of the most iconic and memorable fatalities, has a cool name and comes up in search engines more than the name he's based on. To some, liking Scorpion more is odd, and his prevalence and popularity only further increase one's affinity to a character they've loved. Because of their nature as rivals, it is most likely going to be the same case with fans of either rival, as it isn't uncommon for people to relate to a character on some spectrum. Liu Kang and Kung Lao are on the same side. This is why you have some who prefer one of the other, but there is never a 'rivalry' between Liu Kang fans or Kung Lao fans. Kitana and Mileena are an example of this, but not to the same degree as Sub Zero and Scoprion. No matter what a Scoprion fan says or believes, no matter what a Sub Zero fan says or believes, they are both iconic characters, and have just about as many fans as their adversary. There isn't always necessarily a 'reason' or hidden agenda for a person preferring something. Like what you like, and leave others who like something else alone.

redeyes

Button Masher
Or maybe people like Sub Zero because they like Sub Zero. Sub Zero and Scorpion were the two main characters, or at the very least, the two most iconic, memorable characters of a video game that had taken the entertainment medium by storm. MK formed the ESRB as a byproduct. So the most popular characters are almost definitely going to be the two ninjas. One is hot, one is cold. One is 'good' one is 'evil'. One belongs to one clan, and the other another. One is Blastoise the other is Charizard. One is Goku the other is Vegeta. One is an apple the other is an orange. One is Coke the other is Pepsi. It doesn't matter what they are in actuality. It doesn't matter if Ed Boon favors one over the other. They are antonym characters which will form a following for many different reasons. To some like yourself, Scoprion is obviously cooler. A fire ninja with a memorable quote and an interesting storyline. A fun gameplay style and iconic moves. For others to prefer the other ninja, to you may seem like an impossibility.

To others, Sub Zero is clearly cooler. He can freeze people, had one of the most iconic and memorable fatalities, has a cool name and comes up in search engines more than the name he's based on. To some, liking Scorpion more is odd, and his prevalence and popularity only further increase one's affinity to a character they've loved. Because of their nature as rivals, it is most likely going to be the same case with fans of either rival, as it isn't uncommon for people to relate to a character on some spectrum. Liu Kang and Kung Lao are on the same side. This is why you have some who prefer one of the other, but there is never a 'rivalry' between Liu Kang fans or Kung Lao fans. Kitana and Mileena are an example of this, but not to the same degree as Sub Zero and Scoprion. No matter what a Scoprion fan says or believes, no matter what a Sub Zero fan says or believes, they are both iconic characters, and have just about as many fans as their adversary. There isn't always necessarily a 'reason' or hidden agenda for a person preferring something. Like what you like, and leave others who like something else alone.
not in the mood to get yelled at for n word.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Scorpion and Sub-Zero are the most awesome characters of MK Franshice and honestly the ones with a very solid story and development, of course they will be popular, they're both the poster boys.

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
was hoping for a meme in response, disappointed in you ricky.
Bouldon is a hamlet in Shropshire, England. It lies in the civil parish of Diddlebury.
The hamlet comprises approximately 14 houses, a number of agricultural buildings and a public house named the "Tally Ho". It is 8.5 miles (13.7 km) by road northeast of the market town ofLudlow.
Bouldon used to be a more populous place, as was this rural area of Shropshire generally, and was a place to stop en route between Ludlow andBridgnorth. The route from Bouldon to Ludlow was a turnpike road between 1794 and 1873. Yhe main road between the towns of Ludlow and Bridgnorth no longer passes through the hamlet; it today takes a route to the east of Brown Clee Hill instead.
Bouldon Mill is Grade II Listed formermill building in the hamlet, now a residence/therapy centre, which still has the Coalbrookdale iron-cast water wheel (using the flow of the Pye Brook) and inside workings. The stone building was built in 1790 but there was a timber mill beforehand built in 1611. It may have operated as a mill as late as the 1930s.
There is also a house on the site where a small church, built from corrugated iron, used to be. This small church, or chapel, was called All Saints and was erected by the rector of the Church of England's Holdgate parish (which Bouldon was part of until 1921) in 1873. It was demolished in the 1980s, having become dilapidated.
Bouldon had a charcoal-fuelledironworks of its own in the 17th and 18th centuries, producing pig iron. It was important during the English Civil War. On 28 September 1643, Charles Iauthorised payment of £965 10s. to the iron master, Francis Walker, for manufacture of artillery and ammunition delivered to the Royalist forces atShrewsbury, Bridgnorth andWorcester. It closed around 1795 and only a tree covered slag heapremains.
From the late 11th century to 1884, Bouldon was a detached part ofHoldgate parish. Its transfer to
Diddlebury parish was effectively a return to the situation prior to the change in the 11th century. (Bouldon was transferred to the Church of England's ecclesiastical parish of Diddlebury, from Holdgate, only in 1921.)
The Domesday Book of 1086 records 4 households existing at the time. Bouldon was at that time part of Clvestanhundred, a Saxon hundred that was in the early 12th century replaced by Munslow.
The Tally Ho Inn was first licensed in 1844. It closed in 2006, but reopened in 2012 as a locally-owned freehouse, and retains its country character and serves several local real ales.
In Bouldon, and also in nearby Peatonand Peatonstrand, weather-board houses were constructed in the 1950s by the Church Commissioners, who bought the Holder Estate in 1942. Of the four in Bouldon, two are currently derelict. The ones in Bouldon are named Cedarwood Houses.

MK_GDROM

*Spit* No Charge
Maybe because he's actually solid in this game? Maybe because his combo's aren't too hard to learn? Maybe because his clone slows down characters the pace that Kung Lao and Erron Black and other characters like that want to play? Could be a combination of the three, more than likely is. A good Sub-Zero doesn't let people play braindead, and requires you to be on your toes. Also LOL at you saying eventhubs. They are the cancer of the FGC.

LinKueiLegend

The true Grandmaster
Well my first ever video game was Mortal Kombat 4 and I had always thought that ninjas were cool. So my little 6 year old self was drawn towards Scorpion and Sub Zero. My older brother one day introduced me to the alternate costumes and let me tell you when I saw Sub Zero with his frozen arms and legs (lol) I was like woah. A ninja who can control ice? so cool.ever since then Sub Zero has been my all time favorite video game character and will always be a Badass in my eyes. Noob and Scorpion are tied for second haha

tatterbug4

Bug of tater's
He nullifies anyone with out a teleport LOL.

Seriously half the time in that mu I'm just waiting for his ice clone to disappear and him to stop throwing ice balls. It's very annoying.

I think I'm gonna hate him more than green Lantern in injustice

-narshkajke-

klone enthusiast
I would argue that that's not the case for some people. second cool looking ninja he's number one for some of us.
Just because boon have a raging boner for scorpion doesn't mean he's the coolest looking one.
and fatality wise, his spine rip is the number one most recognizable fatality that creates ESRB, it's dubbed the ESRB maker.
For me, sub is a piece of my childhood, the ability to freeze people and made them stand still as I do whatever I want to them, tickle me in a way that no other characters from any fighting game ever done to me before.
plus, Chinese ninja, how many do you think they are out there?