What's new

General/Other - Sub-Zero This is why so many people main Sub-Zero.

Sulfur

Winning feels better when you take a little damage
You know it's also bad when you have a high end PC and that particular website freezes your browser. Idk, their tier lists are terrible.
SRK is way worse than Eventhubs, jussayin'

tbh tho TYM is a pretty sick community, barely anyone here is toxic.

MK_GDROM

*Spit* No Charge
SRK is way worse than Eventhubs, jussayin'

tbh tho TYM is a pretty sick community, barely anyone here is toxic.
Ah, I wouldn't know, I don't play SF like that. Lately, I've been dabbling in it, so I can improve my footsies. That is true for the most part. The only thing that is kinda toxic here is a lot of people crying for nerfs, or constantly bitching about their character being trash, instead of just picking up another character.

Last edited:

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Weirdly enough, Sub Zero is my fav MK character and I like Scorpion in this game more than him. Kold War Scorpion skin is just really good looking to me especially the alt color.

Stevie Steelz

I break muthaf****s...
I almost never play Scorpion in any MK game, and he's one of the best characters in MKX.... The same way I never play Ryu or Ken in Street Fighter, or Jago in KI. I have a tendency to stay away from the "poster boys" of fighting games for some reason, and tend to veer towards the more interesting characters. That said, I like playing with Sub-Zero when I'm not playing my main because Sub-Zero has ice powers and he wears blue.:coffee:

All I know is ive been a huge fan of the character since MK2, hes been one of my all time favourite game characters since then tied with Megaman. He offers such a unique style of play that just isn't present in other fighting games which always makes him feel fresh in every game. Hes a character that wants you to come at him, but on his terms, and that can be a very rewarding playstyle for players that enjoy it, it also happens to be a difficult playstyle to find in a lot of the mainstream fighting games where offence is everything, which in turn leads to a decent sized fan base of players looking for a unique experience with their character of choice.

This coupled with the fact that hes a total fuckin bad ass and one of the poster characters of the series, hes bound to be popular.

Drew Grimey

Wired players in CA, add me on PSN @ DrewGrimey
I play Sub Zero because nullifies alot of the braindead 50/50s in this game and forces the opponent to play a neutral game.

Rebelo

Noob
Or maybe people like Sub Zero because they like Sub Zero. Sub Zero and Scorpion were the two main characters, or at the very least, the two most iconic, memorable characters of a video game that had taken the entertainment medium by storm. MK formed the ESRB as a byproduct. So the most popular characters are almost definitely going to be the two ninjas. One is hot, one is cold. One is 'good' one is 'evil'. One belongs to one clan, and the other another. One is Blastoise the other is Charizard. One is Goku the other is Vegeta. One is an apple the other is an orange. One is Coke the other is Pepsi. It doesn't matter what they are in actuality. It doesn't matter if Ed Boon favors one over the other. They are antonym characters which will form a following for many different reasons. To some like yourself, Scoprion is obviously cooler. A fire ninja with a memorable quote and an interesting storyline. A fun gameplay style and iconic moves. For others to prefer the other ninja, to you may seem like an impossibility.

To others, Sub Zero is clearly cooler. He can freeze people, had one of the most iconic and memorable fatalities, has a cool name and comes up in search engines more than the name he's based on. To some, liking Scorpion more is odd, and his prevalence and popularity only further increase one's affinity to a character they've loved. Because of their nature as rivals, it is most likely going to be the same case with fans of either rival, as it isn't uncommon for people to relate to a character on some spectrum. Liu Kang and Kung Lao are on the same side. This is why you have some who prefer one of the other, but there is never a 'rivalry' between Liu Kang fans or Kung Lao fans. Kitana and Mileena are an example of this, but not to the same degree as Sub Zero and Scoprion. No matter what a Scoprion fan says or believes, no matter what a Sub Zero fan says or believes, they are both iconic characters, and have just about as many fans as their adversary. There isn't always necessarily a 'reason' or hidden agenda for a person preferring something. Like what you like, and leave others who like something else alone.
Subzero blastiose vegeta for me lol

Yeah I always prefered sub zero. But then again my brother always liked scorpion more too. Sounds stupid but in one episode of malcom in the middle halo says 'nobody beats subzero' and and my child self decided he was who I'd play as.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
I've been a Sub Zero fan since MK1. I've always thought ice powers were really fucking cool (no pun intended) and, during my first month of playing mortal kombat 1 on the Sega Genesis, way back in the fall of 1993, I accidentally did Sub Zero's classic head-rip fatality. I was only 8 years old and I had no idea fatalities even existed before that fateful day. It was such a hype, shocking moment in my childhood and I have always associated Sub Zero with the sheer awe that I felt on that day.

RexxyC

what's done is done
he's good and he's easy to play. it helps that he's one of the poster-boys. pretty sure that is why people play him.

Kanalratte

aka FROSTIE
i main him because he looks bad ass. best ninja design i've seen so far. i hope they release a statue or figure in his normal costume. on top of that he has good variations. grandmaster to piss off rushdown chars. cryomancer has very good damage, you can rushdown, it has maybe the best uppercut in the game. don't like unbreakable though, anti air sucks in this variation.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Way I see it, people like to win so they pick characters which are easy to win with.
No big secret.

Jay Rupp

Human Smoke or Riot
This is exactly what I was talking about. It's cool to like Sub Zero(no punz) but lame to like Scorpion. Atleast 1 person was honest about why he prefers Subby.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
Despite the title of this topic, this isnt some anti Subby rant. I've played MK since childhood and something has always drawn me to Scorpion. Looking back, I think it was a combination of the "GET OVER HERE" and the character's overall originality. Fast forward to MK9(2011), by this time Scorpion had pretty much become the "face of Mortal Kombat". The youth of this generation seem to think they're cool for disliking something that's popular and I believe this is the reason for a large portion of Subby mains. They take a look at Scorpion and think "naw he's the poster boy of MK" and then choose the 2nd coolest looking ninja, Sub-Zero :D Now obviously this doesnt account for all Sub mains, I have friends that have played him since MK1/2. However, I think it speaks volumes for the ridiculous influx of Grandmaster Subs online. If you like a character, don't be afraid to pick him.

Edit: Eventhubs puts Grandmaster Sub @ #1 of their popularity list. DON'T STOP PLAYING HIM NOW! Lol
What did I just read?

Wigy

There it is...
Subzero is pretty much just as much of a posterchild as scorpion.
If that was the reason everybody would have used him in mk9. Its cause hes a completely braindead character until you're at the highest level. You can put the least effort in and get the best output

MadPropz101

"I still got it...but not much of it"
In a game dominated by 50/50's and rushdown characters, GM Sub Zero is a very comfortable character to choose. Hiding behind his clones and ice balls and basking in the glory of infinite meter, you simply can't help but feel like an imperishable citadel. I'd say that most of the people that choose him are either the ones that see "zoning" as the highest level of play, or those that are afraid of playing a rush down/mixup character because of the risk of making a wrong guess.
But of course, there are always exceptions ;)

I'd say that most of the people that choose him are either the ones that see "zoning" as the highest level of play, or those that are afraid of playing a rush down/mixup character because of the risk of making a wrong guess.
But of course, there are always exceptions ;)
sub zero rushes down a lot in this game though, and he has his high low mixup which he frequently uses