What's new

Strategy They patching smoke?

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
OTG Bomb was one of the most fun things about Smoke. It actually took some execution. Now his bnbs are gonna be boring like the rest of the characters. That's great, you just made a character boring, weaker (when he wasn't even that good), easier, and just overall worse. I don't know if I'll keep playing Smoke after this.
Weaker, really? Losing the bomb is not that big of a deal. He still has his bnb which reaches 35%+, his parry, and his teleports.

C'mon now. It's like saying that Liu Kang would be weak if he lost his bicycle kick. Which is equally as useful as the bomb; meaning it has limited uses. Works nicely comboing out of his x-ray, that's about it. I wouldn't label either of them as good moves that strengthen the character.

As I've had to repeat over and over, it's not just bnb damage loss. Going from 42% to 37% isn't a big deal. The big deal is that he loses a ton of damage off of other hits, like jump kick, which goes from 38% to 14%. That's a big loss, especially considering his great cross up jump kick was one of his major distinguishing features.

Lots of opinions being thrown around without a full understanding of the effects of the nerf. Kinda annoying.

Zebster

How's my volume?
As I've had to repeat over and over, it's not just bnb damage loss. Going from 42% to 37% isn't a big deal. The big deal is that he loses a ton of damage off of other hits, like jump kick, which goes from 38% to 14%. That's a big loss, especially considering his great cross up jump kick was one of his major distinguishing features.

Lots of opinions being thrown around without a full understanding of the effects of the nerf. Kinda annoying.
I know full well what the removal means, and I took that into consideration when deciding if Smoke was worth sticking with.

Sad to see the fun part of Smokes BnB's gone, I don't know if I'll continue playing Smoke.

But I did master him with OTG but the only reason why I took my time to do that was because, OTG Smoke bomb is alot of fun.

hardwire

Noob
well i guess its time to pick up some scrub bs guy

gg noobs bitch about a guy that didnt need any thing done to him

oh look i can still hat throw to the ground with kung lau and otg it but heavin forbid we have a useful combo extender

im done peace

Faded

Noob
Whats the big deal? Smoke still has damaging combos and IMO is not any worse off. Big deal, OTG is gone, but guess what? Other characters are getting nerfed as well. Smoke is fine.

Whats the big deal? Smoke still has damaging combos and IMO is not any worse off. Big deal, OTG is gone, but guess what? Other characters are getting nerfed as well. Smoke is fine.
For the millionth time, just because he has a 37% bnb doesn't mean he only loses 5% damage. There are OTHER HITS whose damage is nerfed significantly, specifically JUMP KICK AND AIR THROW. The presence of some damaging combos does not negate the large hit to his abare that the nerf causes.

If you really think he's still going to be viable, go to a tournament and show it. As is, every single one of the tournament smoke players have declared their intent to drop him post patch. You can speculate all you want, but that's concrete evidence that should probably be making you reconsider whether or not you're missing something important.

Tw1sted

Noob
so what is THE bnb for him now? i thought 3 d1 2 jk air throw otg 3 d1 2 jk air throw was his bnb but since thats not going to work anymore, what should i be working on now?

If anything they should have nerfed the damage following a otg smoke bomb because it was a great move for pressure. They didn't take away Laos ability to combo off both of his anti airs. I'm still going to try to play smoke but thats wack sauce he has no high low mix ups no fast normals that combo into anything serious, sheesh I should pick up Lao now.

If anything they should have nerfed the damage following a otg smoke bomb because it was a great move for pressure. They didn't take away Lao ability to combo off both of his anti airs. I'm still going to play smoke but thats wack sauce.
because theyre just updating shit because ppl bitch and they suk, they maybe making some reasonable changes but there is so much that needs fixing (hello ermac and sektor)

plus lui and kung still have otgs -_-

hardwire

Noob
the smoke bomb otg pisses me off to no end while there is still the blairing issue of the cage inf xray attack bug that seams to have gone unmentioned

so please some one tell me this how the hell do you deal with issues like that with smoke??? you show me how to get passed it and ill forgive the nerf

oh wait you cant with smoke you have 0 chip damage 0 pressure and hellish punishment on your only options from any kind of range

all the while reptile can spam his dash and chuckle while you try to punish it with any real damage

A backup bnb has been in the guide for a while. I use 3, D+1, 2, dash, 3, 2, dash, 4, smoke bomb, dash, 3, D+1, 2, j.k, air throw. That does 37%. You can get 38% in a number of ways but it all involves comboing a njp after a launcher string, which isn't something that I can do consistently.

Etwist

Noob
Weaker, really? Losing the bomb is not that big of a deal. He still has his bnb which reaches 35%+, his parry, and his teleports.

C'mon now. It's like saying that Liu Kang would be weak if he lost his bicycle kick. Which is equally as useful as the bomb; meaning it has limited uses. Works nicely comboing out of his x-ray, that's about it. I wouldn't label either of them as good moves that strengthen the character.
Bicycle kick and otg bomb is a bad comparison.

Without the otg bomb he loses a lot of options, I guess these options are probably the reason Tom thought it was bullshit. Probably because Smoke is one of the only characters that could start his bnb by hitting you one time in the air. The otg bomb being thrown out makes Smoke boring really. He has a terrible mixup game with a pretty medeocre bnb now. His bnb is also repetitive and not fun to do anymore. Maybe it's just me, but it's one of the things that made Smoke Smoke. I'll prolly play Sektor now since he's not easymode like Smoke will be after the patch.

hardwire

Noob
Bicycle kick and otg bomb is a bad comparison.

Without the otg bomb he loses a lot of options, I guess these options are probably the reason Tom thought it was bullshit. Probably because Smoke is one of the only characters that could start his bnb by hitting you one time in the air. The otg bomb being thrown out makes Smoke boring really. He has a terrible mixup game with a pretty medeocre bnb now. His bnb is also repetitive and not fun to do anymore. Maybe it's just me, but it's one of the things that made Smoke Smoke. I'll prolly play Sektor now since he's not easymode like Smoke will be after the patch.
i think this is the first time ive seen some one defend and insult at the same time

im confused by this :S

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
the smoke bomb otg pisses me off to no end while there is still the blairing issue of the cage inf xray attack bug that seams to have gone unmentioned

so please some one tell me this how the hell do you deal with issues like that with smoke??? you show me how to get passed it and ill forgive the nerf

oh wait you cant with smoke you have 0 chip damage 0 pressure and hellish punishment on your only options from any kind of range

all the while reptile can spam his dash and chuckle while you try to punish it with any real damage
The x-ray bug would be under the various glitches part of the patch, the thing on the front page isn't the official patch notes, its just was Tom brady remembers and has been told, so he didn't name them all off, but he did mention it in that stream he did tonight.

I hope the official NRS patch notes are more in depth on the changes, and what glitches, and what damage scaling they actually changed.

As for the smoke nerf, don't know, can't say he needed to be nerfed, the only reason I can come up with is it was unintended and they saw it as a glitch and wanted to be tidy so they fixed it, even if it has the unintended consequence of nerfing smoke.
I would suggest if you feel so strongly about it, and a lot of the smoke players seem to be, spam them over twitter, and ask them to reconsider, or at the very least give an answer to why.

Etwist

Noob
i think this is the first time ive seen some one defend and insult at the same time

im confused by this :S
It's not really a insult. He IS one of the only characters that can do that. Kung Lao can do it, Sektor can, I'm pretty sure there's at least one more. There's just not a lot of character's who can do that much damage with that particular punishment. But why did they nerfs Smoke? That's all I'm asking.