What's new

Strategy They patching smoke?

You really didn't need to make a separate thread for this.

Smoke is rumored to have his air throw to smoke bomb combo removed in the next patch. It's unconfirmed, but Tom Brady is the source. He said this a while ago, and we don't know if they've changed their minds or anything since then, but it's looking likely.

You don't hit 1, you hit 2.

You don't have to be super low to the ground. You just can't be near the peak of your jump.

The trick is to buffer the smoke bomb while you're falling out of the air throw. Mash the input at this time and it should come out as soon as it's able to.

Enhanced smoke bomb won't help. It raises the hit box, but the opponent never bounces into a spot where enhanced would hit and normal would not.

hardwire

Noob
You don't hit 1, you hit 2.

You don't have to be super low to the ground. You just can't be near the peak of your jump.

The trick is to buffer the smoke bomb while you're falling out of the air throw. Mash the input at this time and it should come out as soon as it's able to.

Enhanced smoke bomb won't help. It raises the hit box, but the opponent never bounces into a spot where enhanced would hit and normal would not.
oops i mean 2 not 1 sorry

SZSR

Noob
Any obvious changes guys? I checked my bNbs and none of them changed... or maybe it's a different combo than i'm doing?

so it looks like they didnt cahnge anything acording to the cover story. Unless they changed something with out putting on the list which i doudt

Smoke did change a little. The proration caused by his air throw is now higher. That makes his OTG smoke bomb bnb that used to do 44% deal 42%, and starting with a jump kick it now does 38% instead of 39%.

No biggie, but Tom Brady is still insisting that otg bomb will be out when the full patch releases.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
I'm relatively certain that my bnb:

3, d+1, 2 > late jump kick > air throw > smokebomb > 3, d+1, 2 > jump kick > air throw

is doing MORE damage than before the patch.

Even if they do get rid of the air throw>smokebomb I can get 41% (as of current damage set up) out of Smoke without it:

3, d+1, 2 > neutral jump punch > dash > b+2, 3 > smokebomb > dash > 3, d+1, 2 > jump kick > airthrow

no meter. Not sure if this has been posted before. Don't remember seeing it in the combo thread.

I tested this combo without the jump punch starter. It does 38%, and the normal bnb listed without OTG smoke bomb is 37%. Good find, but damn the timing is tight on that.

Smoke did not get a damage increase. The combo you listed did 44% before the stealth nerf. It now deals 42%.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
I can't recall for sure, but I distinctly remember that bnb doing 43 and 41 percent with and without jump punch starter. As of 2am EST last night I was getting 45% on it.

Yea, I forgot to include that 41% is with cross up punch starter. the trick for the back up bnb is to catch them as high as possible with b+2, 3. But, if they're too high, the kick will whiff.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Right. I remember it only doing 43% (with jump punch). Maybe I'm confusing it with some other version.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I was thinking last night, they really didn't need to nerf Smoke IMO. It's not like he dominates easily, and the OTG requires decent timing.

Ghostal

Noob
If they're gonna patch smoke, the least they can do is patch in the damn klassic Smoke costume. I have no idea why he doesn't get one for the DLC.

I noticed something last night. I was doing the basic OTG midscreen combo in training and it did the same damage with or without the jumping punch. So jump-in+p, 3,d+1,2, j+p, late jump kick. air throw, OTG 3,d+1,2 fj+k, air throw did the same damage as without the j+p after the first 3,d+1,2.

I noticed something last night. I was doing the basic OTG midscreen combo in training and it did the same damage with or without the jumping punch. So jump-in+p, 3,d+1,2, j+p, late jump kick. air throw, OTG 3,d+1,2 fj+k, air throw did the same damage as without the j+p after the first 3,d+1,2.
OTG smoke bomb combo does 42%. With jump punch starter, it does 45% (like every other combo starting with jump punch, it adds 3%). Make sure you're actually comboing the jump punch to 3. 3 is slow, so the timing is more strict.

Tw1sted

Noob
i think smoke kinda needs that bomb otg, just lower the overall damage scaling a bit. shouldn't be able to do a 40+ damage combo with it but at least 35. besides its very strict and easy to drop.

Zebster

How's my volume?
i think smoke kinda needs that bomb otg, just lower the overall damage scaling a bit. shouldn't be able to do a 40+ damage combo with it but at least 35. besides its very strict and easy to drop.
35% would be less than his good non otg combos wouldn't it?

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
Pretty dumb to take the smoke bomb otg out of the game, take away some of his damage don't ruin his bnb combo.

Zebster

How's my volume?
Pretty dumb to take the smoke bomb otg out of the game, take away some of his damage don't ruin his bnb combo.
Sad thing is they did BOTH.

I don't care though, I'm not giving him up.
I might ask Paulo to up his damage a little like they're doing with Kabal after they take his block infinite away. (hint you may also want to ask him to do this: http://twitter.com/#!/pakostevens)
Also it's long been established but it's not really an otg as it only works because the opponent bounces and that's when the smoke bomb actually hits.