What's new

General/Other - Kotal Kahn There's no point in using Kotal Kahn when there's Jason...

Premonitionist

Call Me Premo - Mileena, D'Vorah, Cassie, Kitana.
I feel sorry for some people on here. They write this huge post (That probably took them a lot of time and effort) just stating their opinion and they get yelled at by others telling them they're wrong. That type of stuff can get people afraid to post their opinions which I think is bad for the FGC in general. Opinions are always positive because it can help you see the strengths and weaknesses in a character or characters in this case. I'm glad he posted this...that's my opinion.

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
I feel sorry for some people on here. They write this huge post (That probably took them a lot of time and effort) just stating their opinion and they get yelled at by others telling them they're wrong. That type of stuff can get people afraid to post their opinions which I think is bad for the FGC in general. Opinions are always positive because it can help you see the strengths and weaknesses in a character or characters in this case. I'm glad he posted this...that's my opinion.
I think the post is fine... He gives reasons and asks questions (more then we get a lot of the time)... But I feel the title being given a sort of absolute statement is where people come in ready to attack... See a wall of text and go fuck it you're wrong...
I think the titles to the treads are more important in these cases as they affect how people approach them...

RYX

BIG PUSHER
@MITDJT

As a Kotal Kahn main from DAY ONE (I wanted to main him but let random select pick my main and it still ended up being Kotal, like it was destiny). It saddens me to possibly think that Jason is just a better overall version of Kotal.... Let me list out some things where Jason has the advantage.

1. 3 command grabs that do more damage (both unmetered and metered) VS Kotal's 1 command grab that, even at max charge, does not equal Jason's unmetered command grabs.
Well, one can be ducked, one is actually a mid, and the other's really slow and easy to react to.

2. Jason has a much better healing option in his Unstoppable variation. Jason also has a much better damage buff in this variation VS Kotal's sun ray's, which are mostly useless and Blood offering.
i guess. Kotal still does more damage when you consider damage buffs, it's not even close.

3. Jason's slasher variation has better mix up's than Kotal's War God variation.
well, this just isn't true, lol. War God has constant overhead/low/unblockable threats with the added EX sword throw for chip and pressure. On top of that you have to guess whether he's going to actually finish his unblockable or cancel it. Jason has... what, exactly? A low/overhead string?

4. Jason also beats Kotal in the footsies department.
Again, no. Jason has a better knockdown game by virtue of his armor shenanigans, but Kotal is massively superior when it comes to footsies and handling space.

5. Jason has a much better projectile than either Kotal's sun disk or his sword.
You're not supposed to use Disc/Sword as projectiles, they're used for frame traps and the occasional knockdown check. I'd rather keep the + on block data than have CyberKano knives.

6. Jason has more viable damage.
huh? Kotal's damage is fine; he can easily match Jason without meter and he far surpasses him with it.

9. Jason has better frames on his moves than Kotal.
Again... no, not even close. Jason has shitty frame data, whereas Kotal has a number of fast advancing moves and amazing pokes.

10. In my opinion, the unique things gained by Jason's variations outclass what Kotal gains in his.
everyone's entitled to their opinion

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Now that Jason has been in the game for a little while and you've all had tonnes of exploring time. What do you all think of Jason being better than Kotal now? :p

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Yeah I don't think Jason is AMAZING, but I hope that someone can convince me otherwise because I have fun playing Jason

Xoftrot

Sun God guy
This is like saying not to use AKUMA because you have RYU or vice versa, even though JASON n KOTAL are a little different. Don't agree with this at all, but nice to be aware of such things.

LRK128

TEST - YOU'RE WHITE!
@MITDJT

As a Kotal Kahn main from DAY ONE (I wanted to main him but let random select pick my main and it still ended up being Kotal, like it was destiny). It saddens me to possibly think that Jason is just a better overall version of Kotal.... Let me list out some things where Jason has the advantage.

1. 3 command grabs that do more damage (both unmetered and metered) VS Kotal's 1 command grab that, even at max charge, does not equal Jason's unmetered command grabs.
2. Jason has a much better healing option in his Unstoppable variation. Jason also has a much better damage buff in this variation VS Kotal's sun ray's, which are mostly useless and Blood offering.
3. Jason's slasher variation has better mix up's than Kotal's War God variation. what
4. Jason also beats Kotal in the footsies department. what. ? really ?
5. Jason has a much better projectile than either Kotal's sun disk or his sword.
6. Jason has more viable damage. what
7. Kotal beats Jason in the pokes department.
8. Kotal has a universal and slightly better air grab.
9. Jason has better frames on his moves than Kotal. what
10. In my opinion, the unique things gained by Jason's variations outclass what Kotal gains in his.

Me and MIT were sparring some Jason VS Kotal and I feel like Jason is what Kotal Kahn wanted to be all along. I was saddened by this thought and wanted TYM's opinion. If there's any suggestions or input you guys could give, that would be helpful in this troubling time. Long live Oshteck.

Tigerbang

Legendary doodbro
I personally believe Kotal Kahn Wargod is easily a top-ten character possible 5th imo but I will say the downplaying on him is REAL.

Audit

Falls down too much
On one hand the OP is allowed to express his opinion, on the other hand what hubris and audacity to just tag top players randomly in a post. Why do that?

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
Wait, I thought Jason was low tier. Didn't Kotal just win Mortal Kombat and saved whatever realm he had to?

@MITDJT

3. Jason's slasher variation has better mix up's than Kotal's War God variation.
4. Jason also beats Kotal in the footsies department.
6. Jason has more viable damage.
7. Kotal beats Jason in the pokes department.
8. Kotal has a universal and slightly better air grab.
9. Jason has better frames on his moves than Kotal.

Me and MIT were sparring some Jason VS Kotal and I feel like Jason is what Kotal Kahn wanted to be all along. I was saddened by this thought and wanted TYM's opinion. If there's any suggestions or input you guys could give, that would be helpful in this troubling time. Long live Oshteck.
I think Jason plays and feels like Jason. I disagree with Jason has better frames and footsies tremendously. The frame data in the game is very useful. I want to say Jasons fastest move is 9 frames while Kotals is 8. Jason has a easy big damage combo but if you just block high then he doesn't have a combo or combo opportunities at all. From low to high, Jason has 1 or 2 combos and they don't have conversions afterword.

Kotal can convert off of just about everything. As for damage buffs, he doesn't hold a candle to blood god. Kotal has so many more mix ups than Jason and I dont even know why you would say something so ridiculous so I'm going to assume you're trolling, and if you're not trolling and play on ps4, give me a invite, cause I want to see it.

The only variation that's viable is Slasher. I would say the variation that has teleport would be good but it's really slow and if I know you're going to do it, a well timed jump 1 will have you eating a 35%+ damage combo. I could always just used f1 -> b2 for a more optimal setup but a little less damage. The heal that kotal has is great when used properly and heals at a much higher % but it's not as consistent.

But umm, if you're down for that game, hit me up. IGN is same as user.

ARMOR

Khaos God
Premium Supporter
I think Jason plays and feels like Jason. I disagree with Jason has better frames and footsies tremendously. The frame data in the game is very useful. I want to say Jasons fastest move is 9 frames while Kotals is 8. Jason has a easy big damage combo but if you just block high then he doesn't have a combo or combo opportunities at all. From low to high, Jason has 1 or 2 combos and they don't have conversions afterword.

Kotal can convert off of just about everything. As for damage buffs, he doesn't hold a candle to blood god. Kotal has so many more mix ups than Jason and I dont even know why you would say something so ridiculous so I'm going to assume you're trolling, and if you're not trolling and play on ps4, give me a invite, cause I want to see it.

The only variation that's viable is Slasher. I would say the variation that has teleport would be good but it's really slow and if I know you're going to do it, a well timed jump 1 will have you eating a 35%+ damage combo. I could always just used f1 -> b2 for a more optimal setup but a little less damage. The heal that kotal has is great when used properly and heals at a much higher % but it's not as consistent.

But umm, if you're down for that game, hit me up. IGN is same as user.
This dude just said slasher is his best variation :coffee:

ARMOR

Khaos God
Premium Supporter
Is it? Or isn't it? Why? Or why not?
Slasher is a defensive/whiff punish variation that In which your opone can't really be opened up and I which you would have to rely on d2 and machete toss, while his other variations focus on being in your face and overwhelming you with either aa grab, command grab, or closeline. He's a huge gimmick in relentless and unstoppable but he is meant to be played that way

Slasher is a defensive/whiff punish variation that In which your opone can't really be opened up and I which you would have to rely on d2 and machete toss, while his other variations focus on being in your face and overwhelming you with either aa grab, command grab, or closeline. He's a huge gimmick in relentless and unstoppable but he is meant to be played that way
The truth.