What's new

There IS the increased Fatal Blow Damage mechanic in MK1

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
So the feature that was in MK11, where if you press “1” during the Fatal Blow cutscenes when your character was about to make impact is actually in MK1 as well. Except in MK11 there was a little icon that would appear at the top of the screen to indicate if you got it or not, and the opponent could also do the same but there’s would be a “defense”, aka making it do less damage.

Found this out randomly doing Fatal Blow combos with Smoke. Was trying to get max damage so just tried it and saw me doing different damage.

Anyway, Every Fatal Blow does 350 damage if done raw. And the most + I’ve gotten using the MK11 “press 1” method has been +10. In this clip I only get +5 for 355, but still, I thought this mechanic was removed! This may be well known and I’m just behind on the times. But anyway, here it is:

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Not sure if you can also do this defensively to counter it like you could in MK11, but I would assume that you’d be able to. It’s just hard to test since there’s no icons or indicators telling you if you got the timing right or not like there was in MK11.

And who knows, maybe this wasn’t even supposed to be in the game. OR, maybe the icons were supposed to be in the game and they just ran out of time or forgot. ¯\(ツ)

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
I think any attack might work I swear I've done it with the X button (PS5). Just not consistently enough that I wasn't sure if I was just delusional, lol.

Edit: Forgot to say that I've gotten 362% with Scorpion's in practice mode by mashing X during any part where there was some kind of impact or xray for either character. Not sure if there is more precise timing then that.

Last edited:

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Just to confirm, the defense option works as well, so it seems to be exactly like it was in MK11. Only difference is there’s no icons, aka no Skulls or Shields. However, my theory is that they either forgot or just didn’t have enough time to implement the icons. Much like them not adding the being able to stick strings on the screen in training mode thing. So, they may add icons in the future.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
This is a stupid "mechanic". It should be removed.
Why do you say that? I feel like it’s a good mechanic IF they add the skulls and shield icons back so you actually know how to time them.

Also, you can turn this mechanic off in tournament mode. Not sure if you can turn it off in any of the online modes though.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
So it isn’t JUST pressing “1” aka “X”, you apparently can and should mash all 4 buttons. AND you don’t need to time it. I figured it was like MK11 since that’s where the mechanic originated. This is MUCH easier lol.

Yea this is what I've been doing, just mashing all 4 buttons repeatedly. I don't know the science to it lol but it seems to work best.

Why do you say that? I feel like it’s a good mechanic IF they add the skulls and shield icons back so you actually know how to time them.

Also, you can turn this mechanic off in tournament mode. Not sure if you can turn it off in any of the online modes though.
Mostly because it's a boring execution test that forces you to pay attention to the already tedious and timewasting animations.

On top of that, i'm generally against any "just mash harder" mechanics (as this one is vs mk 11), since they add a dumb execution test and can shorten controller lifespans.