What's new

The Zoning Academy (Mortal Kombat X Edition)

Breakin Wordzz

Best Rengar NA, also ares of world
i honestly cant stand getting zoned so every game i try and pick a character who 1. zones 2. cant get zoned. 3 . is such a monster up close that in my mind i feel as if all i need to do is get in like cage in mk9. are there any characters u guys are having trouble against that u guys cant zone that well against?

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
i honestly cant stand getting zoned so every game i try and pick a character who 1. zones 2. cant get zoned. 3 . is such a monster up close that in my mind i feel as if all i need to do is get in like cage in mk9. are there any characters u guys are having trouble against that u guys cant zone that well against?
Summoner Quan Chi, Cyber Kano, and Necromancer Shinnok are good for you.

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
Summoner Quan Chi, Cyber Kano, and Necromancer Shinnok are good for you.
Nope Kung Jin and Sonya...

Sonya is about as anti zone as this game gets... she had his #2 and #3 slot on lock...

I have labbed out with her and she is now my main.... it makes me sick to just dive kick and instant air JIP1 my way past zoners.... but as JOP said "I could do all that work oooorrr I could not think and win."

Every time I use her I die a little... but holy fuck...

On a side note my hopes are sky high for DLC zoners.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Nope Kung Jin and Sonya...

Sonya is about as anti zone as this game gets... she had his #2 and #3 slot on lock...

I have labbed out with her and she is now my main.... it makes me sick to just dive kick and instant air JIP1 my way past zoners.... but as JOP said "I could do all that work oooorrr I could not think and win."

Every time I use her I die a little... but holy fuck...

On a side note my hopes are sky high for DLC zoners.
You killed my smart ass response to a dude coming in a zoning thread asking what anti-zoners to use lol.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Dave! I'm curious. Seeing as you have had almost a week (or longer) with the game, what are your thoughts on zoning currently in MKX?
I will break down each character's basic zoning tools soon.

kano night be a bit more well rounded but quan is the best full screen zoner, his bat is cheap

He's stronger at that distance than freddy much stronger.
While the rune is definitely similar to Freddy's spike, Quan Chi, again, is the only character in the game who cannot get up from the ground. You must have some kind of reversal attack in this game, even if the reversal attack is -100 on block.

I will break down each character's basic zoning tools soon.

While the rune is definitely similar to Freddy's spike, Quan Chi, again, is the only character in the game who cannot get up from the ground. You must have some kind of reversal attack in this game, even if the reversal attack is -100 on block.
While I agree Freddy has more escappability by far, quan is way better than Freddy was in the projectile game ( once he snowballs) because, his ex rune frame traps into rune, his fireball frame traps into rune, and his bat frame traps into rune and his low bat is 46 frames of advantAge and his reg plus 26, the summon release can be done reptitively to force them into a guessing game between summon or rune. everything can be converted to big damage and his bat can even cover his backdash and punish tps. Imagine if Freddy had sinestros trait but didn't need to charge it.

Also he gets a free summon after trance and this grants him atleast a free safe mixup and can be used to do virtually unblock able setups and with meter he can do multiple ( more than two)50/50s in a row and it loops.

Its a shame a master of projectiles like yourself is playing a boring zoner like Kano albeit Kano is a bit less Polarized and is all around great.

Last edited:

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
While I agree Freddy has more escappability by far, quan is way better than Freddy was in the projectile game ( once he snowballs) because, his ex rune frame traps into rune, his fireball frame traps into rune, and his bat frame traps into rune and his low bat is 46 frames of advantAge and his reg plus 26, the summon release can be done reptitively to force them into a guessing game between summon or ex rune. everything can be converted to big damage and his bat can even cover his backdash and punish Tps. Imagine if Freddy had sinestros trait but didn't need to charge it.

Also he gets a free summon after trance and this grants him atleast a free safe mixup and can be used to do virtually unblock able setups and with meter he can do multiple 50/50s in a row and it loops.
Who gives him trouble

Thoughts on reptile at all?

M2Dave

Zoning Master
@THTB showed up at my place and annihilated Matt and me for the first couple of hours of gameplay. Reptile is a solid character who destroys Quan Chi in the corner. I never felt so helpless. You just cannot escape.

Kano probably beats him, though. And Liu Kang seems like he goes even with him.

Who gives him trouble

Idk about reptile yet, I really don't, too early for that. I think it'll take time to see what he can do but black fellow dropped him for Kano(and he loves reptile)and we can't connect anyway. I feel like quan can still keep him out despite his armor. Because once bat is out it can either trade or interrupt those tools. ( like subs slide or Los mb flying kick)

Sonya and erron black are super 1 sided fights, they knock me down I die but I can keep them away and it's literally one person wrecking the other, depending on distance.

I presume over time my d will get better and they'll stop getting hit by my unsafe shit but I'll have the bat down a bit better. Sonya might be bad because she has too many mixups.

I could see full auto jaqcui giving him huge issues, he'll outzone her, but she'll pester him enough and I hear she's got really good mixups and her advancing specials could disrupt him even further with armor.

Souls ermac was really annoying and mileena, but bat can kind of force their hands Once you get it out, it preety much gets things started.

Anyone with op knockdown games can totally destroy him

Kung Lao actually doesn't feel bad

It's super early, maybe quan will drop off and the game will be all about that upclose stuff.
I'm just waiting for predator

@THTB showed up at my place and annihilated Matt and me for the first couple of hours of gameplay. Reptile is a solid character who destroys Quan Chi in the corner. I never felt so helpless. You just cannot escape.

Kano probably beats him, though. And Liu Kang seems like he goes even with him.
Kanos b1 is unreal 8f Mid neutral and great stagger. why is he so insane? I was throwing his mb projectiles in training mode and its like the screen starts quaking he throws so fast. Mid hitting projectiles build so much meter.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Kanos b1 is unreal 8f Mid neutral and great stagger. why is he so insane? I was throwing his mb projectiles in training mode and its like the screen starts quaking he throws so fast. Mid hitting projectiles build so much meter.
Who should I pick up

Who should I pick up
To cover kenshis bad mus? Or a new char?? Your a very good zoner and very good at knowing when to disrespect people and change pace and mixup. Jaqcui, or Kano if you want to win automatically right now and wreck smargasm, jaqcui does what she wants. Quan you'd be good with too, zod players sinestros and Martians will feel at home with him, plus you were very good at being a dick with zods trait so you could be a dick with quans mixups.

Jaqcui but dab thinks she'll be fucked over by nerfs, Kano too and prob Quan. I haven't experimented with jaqcui enough but word around the street is she's ludicrous.

You also mained mileena, she might be solid, and she'll give quan problems to cover your bases, possible reptiles too with her piercing, but she's unsafe.

kivatt

Kono Dio Da
@Eldriken told me you told him to look into her. You really should check her out, she's amazing. Safe meterless midscreen 30% 50/50s, crazy zoning, crazy speed, frame traps, 40% 1-meter midscreen, crazy footsies...she's just a fucking beast.

[Edit] Forgot to mention her 6-frame 1-bar 37% punisher.
Which Is?

Wrath0594

Steam profile: 76561198102032134
While I agree Freddy has more escappability by far, quan is way better than Freddy was in the projectile game ( once he snowballs) because, his ex rune frame traps into rune, his fireball frame traps into rune, and his bat frame traps into rune and his low bat is 46 frames of advantAge and his reg plus 26, the summon release can be done reptitively to force them into a guessing game between summon or rune. everything can be converted to big damage and his bat can even cover his backdash and punish tps. Imagine if Freddy had sinestros trait but didn't need to charge it.

Also he gets a free summon after trance and this grants him atleast a free safe mixup and can be used to do virtually unblock able setups and with meter he can do multiple ( more than two)50/50s in a row and it loops.

Its a shame a master of projectiles like yourself is playing a boring zoner like Kano albeit Kano is a bit less Polarized and is all around great.
Exactly this. I play Cassie, am friends with a couple Quan Chi mains and the match usually begins and ends in a corner. Either I get the rushown and trap Quan, or Quan gets the bat setup he needs and keeps me at fullscreen in the opposite corner. Flawless rounds everywhere in that matchup. I feel like its pretty balanced considering both characters need meter to make those traps effective. I will say they ought to buff Quan's teleport on wakeup, because the amount of moves that stuff the EX version is dumb.

Exactly this. I play Cassie, am friends with a couple Quan Chi mains and the match usually begins and ends in a corner. Either I get the rushown and trap Quan, or Quan gets the bat setup he needs and keeps me at fullscreen in the opposite corner. Flawless rounds everywhere in that matchup. I feel like its pretty balanced considering both characters need meter to make those traps effective. I will say they ought to buff Quan's teleport on wakeup, because the amount of moves that stuff the EX version is dumb.
Well if I made the game I'd make his f41 a bit mor competitive in the frame data department, probably give ex wake ups invincibility frames universally, nerf his bat cool down, nerf universal jk priority because aas are godlike, buff walk speed slightly universally, make his low bat hit mid, make his b3 string a safe hard knockdown which is un cancel able, nerf kanos knives by making them a high and slightly slower but give him new laser moves, and nerf b1, nerf jaqcuis guns, the ability to launch of military stance low, and a lot of other things Involving 50/50sbut you can't have your cake and eat it too.

i honestly cant stand getting zoned so every game i try and pick a character who 1. zones 2. cant get zoned. 3 . is such a monster up close that in my mind i feel as if all i need to do is get in like cage in mk9.
You're saying you want to out zone, out rush, and even anti zone when needed with one character- MMH was that character who was master of all trades jack of none and he was a bullshit character design. Kabal i guess also had this to a degree because he could EX dash through zoning, once against a bullshit character design.