What's new

The XBox One's Official Policies

Except Sony's keeping the model it used with the PS3 leaving it up to publishers and not enforcing it's OWN DRM. Except that if the X1's sales are shit these publishers will be at Sony and Nintendo's doorsteps begging to develop on they're consoles.Or we get a repeat of the 80s or consoles die and the PC/ smartphones take over. If they do that's fine I'll just buy Nintendo.

Do you have proof of what Sony is doing, are you an insider or something? I ask because so far they have stayed completely quiet on what their plans are, AND they have patents for online DRM schemes quite similar to what MS is doing.

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
The always connected thing I don't mind, although I would imagine that will be a nightmare for tournament organizers. The used games thing is kinda bullshit though, especially if they intend to keep charging $60 for new games.

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
I seriously cannot believe this. What is there rational? Microsoft, get ready to lose alot money and fire half your gaming department.
The rational is that console developers have been complaining about used games for a long time now because they make no money off of them. This is why I agree with the above poster, don't be surprised at all if Sony's policy on used games ends up being the same or similar to Microsoft's.

Which is why I have to say Im seriously considering just skipping out on this generation. Gaming has become such an expensive hobby and that only stings even more when you consider that about 90% of the games that come out now are utter crap.

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
Except Sony's keeping the model it used with the PS3 leaving it up to publishers and not enforcing it's OWN DRM. Except that if the X1's sales are shit these publishers will be at Sony and Nintendo's doorsteps begging to develop on they're consoles.Or we get a repeat of the 80s or consoles die and the PC/ smartphones take over. If they do that's fine I'll just buy Nintendo.
SCARLETT.....c'mon now..consoles die and PC/smartphones take over? Nintendo as a solution? These options will take gaming back 15 yrs. There is a reason PC's are not the #1 gaming system... $$$$$$$$!!!!! upgrading PC tons just to stay current.. And Nintendo has already proven they don't have what it takes to stay current to the hardcore community (although to casuals it's fine).. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy :(

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
You know-- out if all the recent news on XB1, the only thing that bothers me is the fact that you can only game for a 24hr period offline.. I mean..I could really care less about pre-owned or borrowing games, could care less about kinect always on.. But having to have Internet to play at all.. I tend to stand with PoliceBrutality on the fact that... Why should the gamer be punished due to the error or failure of another business (in this case Internet provider).

Scarlett Viper

Let's begin the witching hour.
The always connected thing I don't mind, although I would imagine that will be a nightmare for tournament organizers. The used games thing is kinda bullshit though, especially if they intend to keep charging $60 for new games.
The thing is blocking used games while an issue is minor compared to the fact Kinect will watch you and that they'll lock you out of your console if you don't "check in" online every 24 hours.

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
The thing is blocking used games while an issue is minor compared to the fact Kinect will watch you and that they'll lock you out of your console if you don't "check in" online every 24 hours.
Meh.. T-shirt over the kinect- problem solved

"Check in" is what I'm having the hardest time getting over...can't make sense if it..

That kind of pervasive online check is going to be the way of the future, and not just for gaming. I really don't get the big crushing deal, all around us people are moving towards cloud based applications. I don't see anyone complaining that they cannot watch Netflix without being online.

The reason consoles are getting such a reaction out of all of this is merely due to the fact that it's a change within that industry. What people need to do however is look towards media consumption in general and they will realize that while it's a change for the gaming industry, it's nothing new for the entertainment industry. And within 5 years, the idea of any entertainment media working without network support will seem comical in general.

Scarlett Viper

The rational is that console developers have been complaining about used games for a long time now because they make no money off of them. This is why I agree with the above poster, don't be surprised at all if Sony's policy on used games ends up being the same or similar to Microsoft's.

Which is why I have to say Im seriously considering just skipping out on this generation. Gaming has become such an expensive hobby and that only stings even more when you consider that about 90% of the games that come out now are utter crap.
Nintendo bro they are the answer.:cool:

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
Most peoples consoles are always connected to the Internet anyway so I can't see the check in thing being that big of a deal for most except, like I said, Tournament Organizers. Kinect always watching is creepy though I'll give you that.

No used games is a very big deal for 1 very big reason; games are fucking expensive. I don't know about you but I'd play a lot more games if they didn't cost $60 a pop. If used games are going away than game prices are going to have to go down otherwise there are going to be a lot of unhappy people.

Scarlett Viper

That kind of pervasive online check is going to be the way of the future, and not just for gaming. I really don't get the big crushing deal, all around us people are moving towards cloud based applications. I don't see anyone complaining that they cannot watch Netflix without being online.

The reason consoles are getting such a reaction out of all of this is merely due to the fact that it's a change within that industry. What people need to do however is look towards media consumption in general and they will realize that while it's a change for the gaming industry, it's nothing new for the entertainment industry. And within 5 years, the idea of any entertainment media working without network support will seem comical in general.
Do dvd players,home phones or tvs have to be connected to the internet to function?Do cable/satellite companies place a camera that spys on you in the receiver box?

Do dvd players,home phones or tvs have to be connected to the internet to function?Do cable/satellite companies place a camera that spys on you in the receiver box?

Who still buys/rents DVDs? Who in the world has a home phone line (which also requires an always on connection)? I haven't had a land line in 10+ years.

And your cable box has to be connected to work. As to watching you? Who cares? Point it at the wall.

Scarlett Viper

Who still buys/rents DVDs? Who in the world has a home phone line (which also requires an always on connection)? I haven't had a land line in 10+ years.

And your cable box has to be connected to work. As to watching you? Who cares? Point it at the wall.
Plenty of people,Every home owner ever?(to the phoneline not the internet)Except you know if it HAS to see you to work?

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
I see the larger percentage of u all are using your brains here, this industry is coming to a crossroad and honestly if not careful there will be another game crash. The argument over not being able to use things like Netflix and whatnot when the net goes down or out is null, because as long as you have power you can still watch a dvd, hell you can even use a VCR if you like for enterainment, but your gaming even SP is done due to a requirement that fully explains you paid full price for something you don't actually own nor do they feel you can be trusted to use it.

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit

Right now today and on the past..If you have power but no Internet for say 72 hrs.. You can still utilize the TV for dvd's, and gaming..(while you cannot access functions like Netflix or cable TV til Internet is restored) the TV can still be used for parts of its natural function..

XB1 in the same situation, loses all gaming functionality after 24 hrs.. Sure you can still use TV & DVD but when the system itself loses its main function.. It baffles me.. 24 hrs? Why not make it 1 week, 2 weeks? 24 hrs seems too rigid..

Scarlett Viper

Right now today and on the past..If you have power but no Internet for say 72 hrs.. You can still utilize the TV for dvd's, and gaming..(while you cannot access functions like Netflix or cable TV til Internet is restored) the TV can still be used for parts of its natural function..

XB1 in the same situation, loses all gaming functionality after 24 hrs.. Sure you can still use TV & DVD but when the system itself loses its main function.. It baffles me.. 24 hrs? Why not make it 1 week, 2 weeks? 24 hrs seems too rigid..
EXACTLY!