What's new

The Wii-U discussion thread

MortySeinfeld

The list of peripherals for the WiiU has lowered so far.
WiiMote(which has plus built in now) + nunchuck
pro troller
Gamepad
balance board

thats honestly it. Maybe the wii wheel if you're a hard core Mario Kart player ;) but thats just a plastic shell.

Karried Fresh Modern IPs = 85% are shooters
There are a lot, it just gets slept on. And shooters can be really fun and innovative. Bioshock for example.

PS3 just came out with Last of Us, Beyond 2 Souls.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
There are a lot, it just gets slept on. And shooters can be really fun and innovative. Bioshock for example.

PS3 just came out with Last of Us, Beyond 2 Souls.
Shooters are a joke these days. LBSH.

Bioshock is an exeption, but for the most part, at least in the past 3 to 5 years, a lot of CoD wannabes, which ironically CoD took a lot of mechanics from Counter Strike and Quake. Its just the same shit over and over. I know for a fact that mostly any shooter game I play I can easily do good in it's multiplayer almost instantly, cause its the same shit.

Shooters are a joke these days. LBSH.

Bioshock is an exeption, but for the most part, at least in the past 3 to 5 years, a lot of CoD wannabes, which ironically CoD took a lot of mechanics from Counter Strike and Quake. Its just the same shit over and over. I know for a fact that mostly any shooter game I play I can easily do good in it's multiplayer almost instantly, cause its the same shit.
Yeah, the only saturated shooter is COD. I think everything else was like well established before COD came along. So I'll give those companies making the games the benefit of the doubt. Well, at least I think.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Yeah, the only saturated shooter is COD. I think everything else was like well established before COD came along. So I'll give those companies making the games the benefit of the doubt.
I remember playing 007 Nightfire then swapping over to Doom 3, afterwards to Half Life 2. All three came out around the same time, all three play really fucking differently.

Metroid for example, my favorite IP, has so many different types of ways to play
2d Side Scroller
First Person Shooter (But really I would call it a First Person Aventure)
3rd person
fuck even Pinball.

Mario however, has nothing but that fucking New Super Mario Brothers shit. I'm getting sick of seeing a mod of New Super Mario Brothers being priced at 60 dollars.

Zombie U looks like a lot of fun to me. It looks like a solid single player experience that can utilize the game pad to a point where its not too gimmicky but still enhances the experience.

Flagg

Noob
Nintendo at one point were incredible innovators.

They made incredible games, pioneered genres, console design, joypad design....they really were the kings.

The N64 was their last good console. Today, they still try to innovate but they seem obsessed with pleasing the mass market. I mean, why not...didn't the Wii sell more units then the PS3 and 360 combined? That's fantastic from a business point of view and that was the end....because it became more important to make games for girls and the family, then the average male, because the former makes them more money now.

I remember playing 007 Nightfire then swapping over to Doom 3, afterwards to Half Life 2. All three came out around the same time, all three play really fucking differently.

Metroid for example, my favorite IP, has so many different types of ways to play
2d Side Scroller
First Person Shooter (But really I would call it a First Person Aventure)
3rd person
fuck even Pinball.

Mario however, has nothing but that fucking New Super Mario Brothers shit. I'm getting sick of seeing a mod of New Super Mario Brothers being priced at 60 dollars.

Zombie U looks like a lot of fun to me. It looks like a solid single player experience that can utilize the game pad to a point where its not too gimmicky but still enhances the experience.
Yeah I agree. Bioshock is my favorite game of all time currently, loved that. Dead Space is pretty cool for a shooter and Gears is pretty unique. Aside from that everything else is pretty generic. BulletStorm tried to be different but people just want to mindlessly shoot and the skill shot system turned a lot of people off.

Oh yeah. Odd World for the Xbox was fun ass hell!

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Nintendo at one point were incredible innovators.

They made incredible games, pioneered genres, console design, joypad design....they really were the kings.

The N64 was their last good console. Today, they still try to innovate but they seem obsessed with pleasing the mass market. I mean, why not...didn't the Wii sell more units then the PS3 and 360 combined? That's fantastic from a business point of view and that was the end....because it became more important to make games for girls and the family, then the average male, because the former makes them more money now.
Id argue N64 was shit because even on release day their games on launch had to have ridiculous adjustments due to the console not being able to handle the content programmed and stored

Perfect dark Frame rate to this day is ATROCIOUS piece of shit

killer instinct had to remove tons of content

matter of fact ever 3rd party developer bitched and moaned except nintendo

and the gamecube was a huge asian pile of ass

im gunna have to see how they implement the touch screen in games. If companies can find a cool way to use it i'll be happy.

That and Bayonettta 2.

Pig Of The Hut

I pretty much think the console will do exactly as the Wii did.
It won't matter if the masses 'Get it' as long as their kids know to beg for the candy coated interactivity they have lined up.
They are releasing this console before their competitors, right before the Holydays and there hasn't been a new console in YEARS. People are hungry NOW and what else are the gamer kinder going to ask for.

You think kids won't want this? It looks like Yo Gabba Gabba on ecstasy.

I want one just for SMB and Mario Kart, but I am not going to pay full introductory retail super-price for something that will sit in a box when I am done playing them.
The famlies (w 3 kids or more) are going to hate having to constantly hear the bitching that will ensue when they realize they only get one tablet and the other kids are constantly whining crying about it

they're about to pay 300-400 for a problem lol

Flagg

Noob
Mario 64 was a MASSIVE hit, and Turok came out at a time when Quake had just hit, so that also marked not only the move into 3D shooters but 3D adventure games.

Perfect Dark was a superb game, as was Golden Eye. People didn't care about fps back then because 3D games was still a relatively new concept.

Mario Kart 64 was amazing, Bomberman, Metroid, Castlevania, Doom 64, F Zero, Fifa games, Pro Evo, the Zelda games, Quake, numerous wrestling games, Star Fox, Turok series, Wipeout....

I mean are you sure this isn't just some sort of elitist hate for Nintendo? I see this all the time from 360 and PS owners and worse, I see this from PC owners on ALL consoles.

Most consoles that have come out at one time or other have produced incredible games.

Rez Evil when it came out on the Gamecube was considered the best Rez Evil game to date.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Heres a small rant I have about current platforms:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/mikemetroid/

My Steam account, which you can see games that I own/have been playing lately.

My 360? Well, I only play MK, even then, my 360 stick just broke, so I haven't touched it in a few weeks.

Ps3? I have PSN+ so I enjoy some extra freebie arcade games on the side of playing MK...other than that I only played Metal Gear Solid 4.

Wii? WELL, I modded it and have an external hard drive connected to it. I game fly games and install it to the hard drive, I have been playing the Wii like crazy lately because these games are actually fun to play. I also have all the classic games because I downloaded them all (Nes, Snes, Genesis, Turbografx 16, Game gear, Gameboy, Gameboy Advance, and N64 but the emu sucks currently) and installed them to emulators on the wii.

360 and Ps3? HURR GOTTA STOP THE HACKING - Pay 60 bucks a year for a service of selection of free games or your console sucks. Also if you don't pay us enjoy tons of lag/no online play.

What did I need to do this amazing hack for the wii? I just needed to load a custom map in brawl on an SD card. From there the fun just begins. Nintendo does not brick the wii, they have made attempts to stop it but still provide patch updates on a public server. It seems like they just make it TOO easy for modders. I could go into more detail but thats when the crazy modding stuff comes into play with the Wii's IoS.

Has anyone played a Wii game online? With the exeption of Brawl, the netcode is really fucking good. Mario Kart Wii can connect 12 people around the world in SECONDS. *LAG FREE* and have you seen those stages?

I'm hoping for the WiiU to be that easily hack-able then. I don't really look into it for the hardcore gaming because I have my PC for that.

I think i'm done.

Pig Of The Hut

Mario 64 was a MASSIVE hit, and Turok came out at a time when Quake had just hit, so that also marked not only the move into 3D shooters but 3D adventure games.

Perfect Dark was a superb game, as was Golden Eye. People didn't care about fps back then because 3D games was still a relatively new concept.

Mario Kart 64 was amazing, Bomberman, Metroid, Castlevania, Doom 64, F Zero, Fifa games, Pro Evo, the Zelda games, Quake, numerous wrestling games, Star Fox, Turok series, Wipeout....

I mean are you sure this isn't just some sort of elitist hate for Nintendo? I see this all the time from 360 and PS owners and worse, I see this from PC owners on ALL consoles.

Most consoles that have come out at one time or other have produced incredible games.

Rez Evil when it came out on the Gamecube was considered the best Rez Evil game to date.
No it isnt sir

I in fact loved nintendo till i saw their dumbass VP during gamecube's launch say online gaming is a trend and will never be successful lol

She was fired but still ever since then they are just late, not with the times and when they do something innovative like this they dont do it correctly

I love the hell out of metroid, zelda, etc etc and was a huge nintendo power subscriber until gamecube days

I also played PC so when i saw the huge pile of shit perfect dark was and goldeneye in terms of graphics and frame rate i just laughed and said stay free guys

On n64 zelda, mario star fox were cool

gamecube zelda, metroid, mario were cool

Final fantasy was a huge pile of shit and the fact that you needed to buy their portable system at the time to play the whole game correctly?!?!?!?? and to even use multiplayer?!?!?!

Yea I dont think im being out of line here, I think im beign logical when someone tells me i need to buy a $200 portable system as well for my friend to come over and help me play Final fantasy

#cool

Also please dont say quake or doom was good on a nintendo system. Thats a slap in the face to the real doom community

Thats like saying SSF4 on the DS is where its at

The famlies (w 3 kids or more) are going to hate having to constantly hear the bitching that will ensue when they realize they only get one tablet and the other kids are constantly whining crying about it

they're about to pay 300-400 for a problem lol
I have a co-worker that isn't getting it just for this reason.

He has two kids (boys), and is afraid the controller is going to get thrown in a fit of rage when they're both fighting over it.

Pig Of The Hut

My 360? Well, I only play MK, even then, my 360 stick just broke, so I haven't touched it in a few weeks.

Ps3? I have PSN+ so I enjoy some extra freebie arcade games on the side of playing MK...other than that I only played Metal Gear Solid 4.

Wii? WELL, I modded it and have an external hard drive connected to it. I game fly games and install it to the hard drive, I have been playing the Wii like crazy lately because these games are actually fun to play. I also have all the classic games because I downloaded them all (Nes, Snes, Genesis, Turbografx 16, Game gear, Gameboy, Gameboy Advance, and N64 but the emu sucks currently) and installed them to emulators on the wii.

360 and Ps3? HURR GOTTA STOP THE HACKING - Pay 60 bucks a year for a service of selection of free games or your console sucks. Also if you don't pay us enjoy tons of lag/no online play.

What did I need to do this amazing hack for the wii? I just needed to load a custom map in brawl on an SD card. From there the fun just begins. Nintendo does not brick the wii, they have made attempts to stop it but still provide patch updates on a public server. It seems like they just make it TOO easy for modders. I could go into more detail but thats when the crazy modding stuff comes into play with the Wii's IoS.

Has anyone played a Wii game online? With the exeption of Brawl, the netcode is really fucking good. Mario Kart Wii can connect 12 people around the world in SECONDS. *LAG FREE* and have you seen those stages?

I'm hoping for the WiiU to be that easily hack-able then. I don't really look into it for the hardcore gaming because I have my PC for that.

I think i'm done.
Your main argument revolves around hacking

tell microsoft, sony and nintendo that

I love your system more cause i can hack it easier lol

not very applicable

Flagg

Noob

Has anyone played a Wii game online? With the exeption of Brawl, the netcode is really fucking good. Mario Kart Wii can connect 12 people around the world in SECONDS.

I think i'm done.

Good post. In my time i've owned an Amiga, a nes, a SNES, a PS1, a Sega Saturn, a Dreamcast, a N64, all before I had a 360. I also currently have a PC.

All of those consoles, and my Amiga, i owned a massive amount of games for each. On my 360, the only games im playing currently are MK 9 and Doom 3. I did play the Hell out of Skyrim at one point, but games today I dont feel have longevity and the height of fun seems to be gone. Now it's all about milking a franchise for every penny, style over content.

Maybe im growing out of games, but the consoles of yesterday were far superior to the consoles of today, and so were the games.

Pig Of The Hut

Good post. In my time i've owned an Amiga, a nes, a SNES, a PS1, a Sega Saturn, a Dreamcast, a N64, all before I had a 360. I also currently have a PC.

All of those consoles, and my Amiga, i owned a massive amount of games for each. On my 360, the only games im playing currently are MK 9 and Doom 3. I did play the Hell out of Skyrim at one point, but games today I dont feel have longevity and the height of fun seems to be gone. Now it's all about milking a franchise for every penny, style over content.

Maybe im growing out of games, but the consoles of yesterday were far superior to the consoles of today, and so were the games.
nothing beats SNES

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Your main argument revolves around hacking

tell microsoft, sony and nintendo that

I love your system more cause i can hack it easier lol

not very applicable
I love the system because I can do more with it. I don't have to pay extra money to have more fun, They sold what they did, provide me with net and just let me have at it. Not sell me, restrict me, then punish me when i break some fucking "rules". Then I lose money. fuck that shit

My reason for buying the WiiU isn't very applicable. My point is though, theres more you can do with the Wii than you can the 360 and PS3. I'm hoping for the same with the WiiU

Flagg

Noob
No it isnt sir

I in fact loved nintendo till i saw their dumbass VP during gamecube's launch say online gaming is a trend and will never be successful lol

She was fired but still ever since then they are just late, not with the times and when they do something innovative like this they dont do it correctly

I love the hell out of metroid, zelda, etc etc and was a huge nintendo power subscriber until gamecube days

I also played PC so when i saw the huge pile of shit perfect dark was and goldeneye in terms of graphics and frame rate i just laughed and said stay free guys

On n64 zelda, mario star fox were cool

gamecube zelda, metroid, mario were cool

Final fantasy was a huge pile of shit and the fact that you needed to buy their portable system at the time to play the whole game correctly?!?!?!?? and to even use multiplayer?!?!?!

Yea I dont think im being out of line here, I think im beign logical when someone tells me i need to buy a $200 portable system as well for my friend to come over and help me play Final fantasy

#cool

Also please dont say quake or doom was good on a nintendo system. Thats a slap in the face to the real doom community

Thats like saying SSF4 on the DS is where its at
Doom 64 was an amazing edition to the Doom series and most Doom fans are generally agreed on that. Say what you want, this was a time when Nintendo WEREN'T afraid to release cool, violent games on their console, MK 64 anyone?

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles is no different to any game today that has DLC bs. People will buy the COD/MW/BlOP's games in their droves, which is ridiculously. So much money for essentially the same game. WoW has a monthly subscription to play, yet millions are still buying/playing that game.

Games aren't always about how good they look, this is why Golden Eye and Perfect Dark were popular. Also, Perfect Dark and Turok 2 looked pretty good when run with the High Res cartridge.

If it's any consolation, i'm not interested in the WiiU, and havent been interested in a Nintendo product since the N64 days.

It won't matter if the masses 'Get it' as long as their kids know to beg for the candy coated interactivity they have lined up.
They are releasing this console before their competitors, right before the Holydays and there hasn't been a new console in YEARS. People are hungry NOW and what else are the gamer kinder going to ask for.

I want one just for SMB and Mario Kart, but I am not going to pay full introductory retail super-price for something that will sit in a box when I am done playing them.

*I hope they have "Classic Controller" attachments like the Wii did. They worked pretty damned well and you won't want to grind out your dpad playing Injustice and have to replace it.
It does matter if the masses 'Get It'; That is the whole reason the Wii was so successful in the first place.

You're already saying you're not getting one because you know you're going to get bored of it when you're done with Mario.

There really aren't any other significant launch titles.

Pikmin 3 and Rayman Legends were pushed back until the end of the year and Q1 of next year.

Outside of their launch window, the system doesn't really look like it's going to have much of anything significant you can't already get on the X360 and PS3. We'll be waiting until E3 to hear about anything worthwhile.

Pig Of The Hut

Doom 64 was an amazing edition to the Doom series and most Doom fans are generally agreed on that. Say what you want, this was a time when Nintendo WEREN'T afraid to release cool, violent games on their console, MK 64 anyone?

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles is no different to any game today that has DLC bs. People will buy the COD/MW/BlOP's games in their droves, which is ridiculously. So much money for essentially the same game. WoW has a monthly subscription to play, yet millions are still buying/playing that game.

Games aren't always about how good they look, this is why Golden Eye and Perfect Dark were popular. Also, Perfect Dark and Turok 2 looked pretty good when run with the High Res cartridge.

If it's any consolation, i'm not interested in the WiiU, and havent been interested in a Nintendo product since the N64 days.
Paying $10 for DLC is a little different than $200 to be able to play with a brother

Also frame rate is everything to me.....LBSH for a community that complains so much about net code and frame rate online for MK9, i think perfect dark ran at like 12 FPS lol PC shooters shoot for what 30? 40?

Lets face the facts: Perfect dark and golden eye were games the N64 wasnt prepared to handle properly